Luddite's squeezebox debut.

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I've discovered the internet radio bit on the Squeezebox. :wink:

Now listening to Classic FM. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Two ways to listen, first is via your SC server and the second via mysqueezebox.com....using the .com site is easy as SC does not have to be running buuuut, if you want to listen to some of your own choonz you have to 'switch' back and point the Touch at your server which is a bit of a faff...also depending on the radio station the .com site does not always broadcast what you should get due to copyright infringement as its outside the UK....IE I like to listen to the Radio Five Live footie commentary but can only do this using my server...
ed
retired

Post by ed »

I just put the streaming url into the favourites on my SB and just point and click....no good for the bbc though!
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

ed wrote:I just put the streaming url into the favourites on my SB and just point and click....no good for the bbc though!
Which version of server are you using Ed?
BBC iPlayer has featured on Squeezebox Server/Logitech Media Server for some time now.

I'm running LMS 7.7.1 on a Zyxel NSA310 , so no great processing capability with the device.
If you're still running the Buffalo then I can see that it might struggle to cope with a recent version of server.
Chris :happy3:
ed
retired

Post by ed »

The Stratmangler wrote:
Which version of server are you using Ed?
BBC iPlayer has featured on Squeezebox Server/Logitech Media Server for some time now.

I'm running LMS 7.7.1 on a Zyxel NSA310 , so no great processing capability with the device.
If you're still running the Buffalo then I can see that it might struggle to cope with a recent version of server.
I think we've been here before Chris. It's slimserver 6.2.2. The NAS unit is very frugal(very old) and won't run anything that doesn't have sqlite...so I'm stuck with 6.2.2. I am in the process of putting a fanless atom box together so things may change in the near future.

meanwhile I just put the url of the mp3 stream into my playlist folder with a meaningful name, e.g:

http://media-ice.musicradio.com:80/ClassicFMMP3

under the name classicFM and bobs your uncle......

it's not the latest gizmo, but it does what I want...I'm only changing the NAS server because the disc is full and I can't be bothered to fiddle with it anymore, so I suppose I'd better get in the 21st century.....
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

ed wrote:I think we've been here before Chris. It's slimserver 6.2.2. The NAS unit is very frugal(very old) and won't run anything that doesn't have sqlite...so I'm stuck with 6.2.2. I am in the process of putting a fanless atom box together so things may change in the near future.

meanwhile I just put the url of the mp3 stream into my playlist folder with a meaningful name, e.g:

http://media-ice.musicradio.com:80/ClassicFMMP3

under the name classicFM and bobs your uncle......

it's not the latest gizmo, but it does what I want...I'm only changing the NAS server because the disc is full and I can't be bothered to fiddle with it anymore, so I suppose I'd better get in the 21st century.....
I had a vague recollection of you still running Slimserver.

The server client has been substantially changed since, and a lot of it is improved functionality, mainly in the increased types of file the server can now handle (BBC iPlayer with AAC encoding sounds a fair bit better than the MP3 offerings).
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Neal wrote:Two ways to listen, first is via your SC server and the second via mysqueezebox.com....using the .com site is easy as SC does not have to be running buuuut, if you want to listen to some of your own choonz you have to 'switch' back and point the Touch at your server which is a bit of a faff...also depending on the radio station the .com site does not always broadcast what you should get due to copyright infringement as its outside the UK....IE I like to listen to the Radio Five Live footie commentary but can only do this using my server...
I didn't realise you could do this Neal. I use SC and my local BBC radio station "stops" when the footie starts. I haven't tried Five Live (not interested in the "big boys"!) so don't know how this works. Is it just a national thing?
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Yeah, the beeb don't have the rights to stream or broadcast the footsie if you're outside the UK, funny thing is the .com site did used to work until I moved to the 7.7 release .... Now I have to point the touch and SB radio at my server to listen...
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Neal wrote:Now I have to point the touch and SB radio at my server to listen...
That's gone right over my head I'm afraid, what do you mean by pointing the SB radio at the server?
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Squeezebox Radio

Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

On the radio or touch you can connect to either your local server running SC or to my squeezebox.com.

If your server is connected to the Internet you can use it to browse for radio stations and listen to them streamed via your server.

With mysqueezebox.com the stream comes from the site...

I've just realised the sb site allows you to use a proxy address to send the stream to, I wonder if this would get around the broadcast problem of it being outside the UK...
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

I've never used mysqueezebox.com (as far as I'm aware anyway) so I guess I must be connected via the server? Can't get the footie though. Using a SB3 and Duet if that makes a difference.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

On my hard drive I have an Enya CD as FLAC and WAV. I converted to WAV so I could burn a CD for a friend.

BUT, when I select it on Squeezebox (or Foobar) it comes up with each track twice

ie

Track 1
Track 1
Track 2
Track 2

etc

Is there a way round this without deleting either the FLAC or WAV copy ?

Edmund Burke

The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

pre65 wrote:Is there a way round this without deleting either the FLAC or WAV copy ?
Yep!
Don't have WAVs and FLACs of the same album in the same folder.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Well done that man.

I've created a new file in my documents "my WAV files" and transferred it there. Rescan Squeezecentre / reboot touch and all is well. :D

Edmund Burke