well kept secret out

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Ahah! Investigation shows we might have a duff hard drive. I shall investigate on Wednesday.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Good glad you found it! With regard to RAM obviously the more the better it affects performance noticeably. There are some reports on computer forums that the 5710 may take 1GB, if you've got access to an old laptop maybe you could borrow the memory and try it. I run 1GB in mine.
bostod
User

Post by bostod »

Got mine up and running but have a ground loop problem with all the usb ports. does this mean i have to buy a usb isolator or is there a cheaper option?
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

what problem in this ground loop causing?
bostod
User

Post by bostod »

humming sounds that change in frequency when there is computer activity. there some humming sound as soon as i plug in usb cable, even when the computer power is not switched on. sound is ok through my terakak usb to spdif converter. but i can not use a usb dac as the interference sound is too loud.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Ah, I see you are using a USB DAC, is it self powered? If so you could open the cable at one end and cut the earth wire....there's only 4 in there + and - plus the two signal cables...
bostod
User

Post by bostod »

gone for a teradac usb to spdif converter. got it for £40 second hand.Its the one with the power supply.
I will bring my computer setup to Owston see how it fares :)