well kept secret out

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
bostod
User

Post by bostod »

any good?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-Hard-Driv ... 866wt_1041

You'll need a cable as well...[/quote]

perfect thanks.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Greg wrote:
Neal wrote:Power consumption looks good, with my previous setup consumption was 220W+ whilst streaming...the little HP unit together with display, router and drives draws 42W! ...and 36W at idle. 15W is from the router alone which I use for wired and wireless access...result!
Oh I know what it's like for you. Same for me. As soon as we got those panels on the roof and generating, we became oh so consumption concious :wink:
How much does the 300b drag then Greg? :D
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Ali Tait wrote:
Greg wrote:
Neal wrote:Power consumption looks good, with my previous setup consumption was 220W+ whilst streaming...the little HP unit together with display, router and drives draws 42W! ...and 36W at idle. 15W is from the router alone which I use for wired and wireless access...result!
Oh I know what it's like for you. Same for me. As soon as we got those panels on the roof and generating, we became oh so consumption concious :wink:
How much does the 300b drag then Greg? :D
Yep, get that. I now only turn it on in daylight when the sun's shining :wink:
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Ah but watch out, your voltages are up 5 volts in the day time.

Mine rise to a crazy 250v.

At the cost of some fit you could intercept your DC and power your amp with pure DC.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

mine never goes below 250...

average is around 253
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Shocking :D

But in all seriousness it costs us a lot of efficiency as motors and iron cored transformers are now wound for 230v and so run inefficiently. ever wandered why hoovers last 5 minutes? Yes badly spec'd motors, but more importantly spec'd for 230v.

Another mess being European has left us in.

There is a piece of kit you can fit called Vphase which reduces your voltage to 220v on a circuit you select which contains motors like freeser washing machine etc. Meant to save it's cost in a year as the motors when not run in saturation consume much less energy for the same amount of effectiveness.

I am considering sorting out some autoformers for the individual items at home.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Neal wrote:Thanks Ed. Found a 20cm cable on Ebay...I'll try a full XP install first and maybe try Vortexbox, I've also purchased a cheap USB CD-Rom just in case!
Hi Neal, do you have a link to the cable seller? I can only find 70cm upwards on ebay.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

This is the one I bought Shane but it seems the seller is away for Easter (until the 12th)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230753376742? ... 531wt_1274
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Brilliant! Thanks Neal.
bostod
User

Post by bostod »

bought a 44 pin connector for the hard drive. connected to motherboard but the drive does not power up. is the lead faulty or do i need to change some bios settings?
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Have you got it the right way around? Pin 1 of the motherboard connector to the red stripe on the connector? Also sometimes its possible to connect the cable so the pins are shifted left or right by one if theres no 'key' on the cable.

If the system BIOS cannot see the drive then its either duff or connected incorrectly....
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

The story so far:

I bought a T5710 850mhz/256mb off Ebay for £13 ( there's still a few left at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-T5710-800M ... 1c25f73413 ). Got hold of a suitable cable to connect an old laptop 40GB hard drive which fitted neatly under the lid. Persuaded daughter's boyfriend to install Lubuntu and plugged it into my router. Brilliant, it works first time, but it's slow slow slow. Managed to download and install the latest version of Squeezecentre (7.7, I think), which downloaded and installed OK. Plugged in one of my 400GB USB hard drives (which are already formatted to ext32) and the 5710 finds it immediately, so the whole process has worked, and the SB3 can see the T5710. This is my first real experience with using Linux and it's been remarkably straightforward, but at the speed it seems to be running it's not going to be much use.

All this is to replace an old Compaq Ipaq 700/815e Intel Celeron 700MHz machine (which daughter's boyfriend previously set up with Debian, which I couldn't follow atall!) which has been whirring away in my bedroom doing sterling service as a NAS server and host for Squeezecentre for the last five years. The Compaq will scan my 150GB of music files from scratch in about 90 minutes. I just set the T5710 off on the same task, and after 2 1/2 housr seems to be about 1/4 of the way through.

I know I can update the RAM in the T5710 to 512mB, but will that make much difference, or have I bought a pig in a poke?
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Update:

Scanning 18416 tracks took 2hrs 49min 33sec.

Using the landing page on my laptop, locating a track and starting play takes just over two minutes, and the app on my iPhone times out before it can load the artists list.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

How much memory has it got? I'm running XP and have cut down the number of process running, installed a ram drive for temp files and limited the swap file space to a fixed size, it runs really well...maybe you need to tweak your Linux install?

....or why not install Vortexboxi it's already optimised and runs on Linux....
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

It's only got 256mB at the moment. As far as I know, it can take a maximum of 512. Would that make much difference?