A power supply for the Squeezebox

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Given we are both pedants Andrew allow me a couple of corrections. Its GNU/Linux, not Unix, and its spelt daemon :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Call yourself a pedant if you like squire:-)! I simply appreciate things to be correctly spelled.

I'd also like to know what things are too; GNU/Linux - an operating system and / or a programming language? Daemon, Demon < tomato tomato (does work visually)> . I thought daemons were there to scare the faithful into staying faithful and not straying - there is a digital equivalent then!?

So much I don't know

Recommended reading (though not necessarily linked to this thread); 'You are not a gadget' by Jaron Lanier. It gets off to a cracking start. And what else is there to do at 4-30 and another sleepless night.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Simply put (and possibly incorrect) Unix is the operating system that can trace its line back to Bell Labs, any OS that has its roots in that code is a Unix. UNIX is a trademark that has had several owners over the years. Linux is a Unix alike (but has no connection to Bell Labs so not Unix) operating system originally written by Linus Torvalds, that was aimed at taking the teaching OS Minix further. Linux is the name of the operating system kernel, but any usable Linux implementations also needs user space tools, (command line shells, compilers, editors etc), these are provided by the GNU project (GNU is Not Unix, programmers love recursive names, its our version of a joke), so the official name of the combination is GNU/Linux to reflect the two parts that make up the usable system.

I could type a lot more :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Only if it would be useful!

however, ta for what you have written, Nick; it gives a sort of historical perspective with a dash of humour. I'm feel somehow included!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

mmmmm??

answer := parse_recursive_name(unix);

unix
nix
ix
x

mmmm?

maybe its too early for me
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Unix is user-friendly. It's just very selective about who its friends are. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Max N
Old Hand

Post by Max N »

pre65 wrote:Unix is user-friendly. It's just very selective about who its friends are. :wink:
Very good Phil :lol:
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

Phil, I take it you're not one of them then?

Ray
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I will come clean, I found that on a web site for unix jokes. :oops:

Anyway, I'm a windows man, although I have tried Ubuntu but find windows easier to use. :)

Edmund Burke

little eddy
Old Hand

Post by little eddy »

Anyone any idea whether these might be any good for a 5V supply compared to the more common adjustable regulators?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/98-High-Effic ... 415d6bbf38

Would definitely make it an easy implementation if they would be as good as the more usual 317-type regulators.
TD-125/RB250/MC25FL & 'Snail' phono, NAS/SBT with CS4398 DAC, 41MP pre & MoFo Power, still messing with OBs.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Edmund Burke

little eddy
Old Hand

Post by little eddy »

pre65 wrote:In that case, what about this ?
Phil - I'd seen that, especially if you have an already built 7805 regulator circuit. For a new build. maybe the stand alone adjustable one would be easier fed with a C or CRC supply.

No real info given on either of these products but guess they might be op-amp based wide bandwidth regulators like some of the 'super-regulators' that can cost a small packet like these:

http://www.audiocominternational.com/su ... -p-33.html

http://www.paulhynesdesign.com/page6.html

Anybody any views/experience/insight?

p.s.

Found this really good page with PS/regulator links:

http://www.gammaelectronics.com/power-s ... i-diy.html
TD-125/RB250/MC25FL & 'Snail' phono, NAS/SBT with CS4398 DAC, 41MP pre & MoFo Power, still messing with OBs.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

"quite noisy in the audio band" ..... "40µV" .. Image

Depends what it's for. In the real world I've never yet noticed a problem. Another option is not use the chips and build from discretes. That won't be perfect either.

With the chip reg.s though problee will help a lot if the reg output is decoupled from the rail by a RC filter type of thing, e.g. my selector box uses +/- rails decoupled from 7812 & 7912 reg.s with some low value resistor (can't remember) and 470µF. The 470µF's are right up against the op-amp chip (as it is at the mo). You're limited though what value resistors you can use depending on how much supply current is required.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
little eddy
Old Hand

Post by little eddy »

Well I just received one of these - got it for under £7 delivered - probably couldn't buy the bits for the price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VERY-LOW-NOIS ... 1e6afc10dc

Just need a Squeezebox now!