Squeezebox Touch basics.

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

Dave the bass wrote:
The Stratmangler wrote: It's usually OS drivers that limit things to 48kHz.
Aaaaahhhh, so, in a case where I turn our old home PC into a VB it'll be Linux/Fedora that governs the max sampling rate of xxkHz yes?

DTB
On USB outputs yes.

But your mobo has SPDIF on it, yes?
That'll be able to chuck out 24/96 easily.
Some of the newer mobo SPDIF outputs can do 24/192.
Your Squeezebox Touch can do 24/192 over SPDIF too, if you install Triode's HD applet.
Thing is, does your DAC (assuming you use one) support 24/192 over SPDIF?

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4127
Chris :happy3:
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

The Stratmangler wrote:But your mobo has SPDIF on it, yes?
That'll be able to chuck out 24/96 easily.
Some of the newer mobo SPDIF outputs can do 24/192.
I think its a plug-in board that fits into a socket on the mobo. I need to whip the side off the big beasty and have look fo' sure TBH. It deffo has 2 x coloured 3.5mm jack sockets on it plus a TOSLINK optical shuttered socket and a single RCA phono which I assume is coaxial out. I'll power down and whip it out to actually try and find out what it is. Like I said, I've never used it before, didn't even know it was there or what it was. Found it yesterday!!! Triple durrrrrrr!

FWIEWThis PC is at least 7 years old so it's not 'modern' by any means. It was built out of bits by a fave Nephew while he was at the same school JTS works at! He now works in IT for NatWest in that-there Lundun City.

The Stratmangler wrote:Thing is, does your DAC (assuming you use one) support 24/192 over SPDIF?

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4127
I use an AK4396 DAC at home, thats fed from the SBT. I saw Steve's rave about Triodes hack but haven't plucked up enough courage to install it yet. I've only installed one Applet so far which adds the option in the 'Extras' menu on the Controller to manually select mute or enable for the likkle speaker built into the Controller. Which reminds me, Ali!... it works.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Dave the bass wrote:I use an AK4396 DAC at home, thats fed from the SBT. I saw Steve's rave about Triodes hack but haven't plucked up enough courage to install it yet. I've only installed one Applet so far which adds the option in the 'Extras' menu on the Controller to manually select mute or enable for the likkle speaker built into the Controller. Which reminds me, Ali!... it works.

DTB
The applet takes very little time to instal.
It is easily reversed too, so courage is not required.

I like what I've heard so far, and my DAC doesn't do 24/192 either.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

OK, so I've whipped the side panel off the steam powered home PC. What i thought was a separate sound card isn't, quadruple Der! It's just a bracket that takes connections from the motherboard. However... it does have SP/DIF so all's not lost yet (I think).

Pic's.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I've done that applet thingie - it sounds ... crisper. Thing is, I'm only using one of those Hongker Dacs, cheap as chips. If I really wanted quality I'd be using a RakDac thingamegig.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Interesting. I thought it made things.. smoother.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

I use an AK4396 DAC at home, thats fed from the SBT. I saw Steve's rave about Triodes hack but haven't plucked up enough courage to install it yet. I've only installed one Applet so far which adds the option in the 'Extras' menu on the Controller to manually select mute or enable for the likkle speaker built into the Controller. Which reminds me, Ali!... it works.

Cool, not tried it in a while, I'll give it another go.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Dave the bass wrote:OK, so I've whipped the side panel off the steam powered home PC. What i thought was a separate sound card isn't, quadruple Der! It's just a bracket that takes connections from the motherboard. However... it does have SP/DIF so all's not lost yet (I think)
I couldnt say whether you've got 24/96 support there or not.
You need to try it.
Suck it and see :shock: