Squeezebox - do I need one?

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

#1 Squeezebox - do I need one?

Post by floppybootstomp »

I noticed a fair few here use the Logitech Squeezebox and I wondered whether it would be beneficial for me to get one.

First off, I can see that it receives internet radio stations via Wi-Fi and can read and play audio files from a PC equipped with Wi-Fi. Now, supposing I wanted to send audio signals via Wi-Fi to another location, what device acts as a receiver? Another squeezebox or a dedicated receiver designed for the purpose? I is a bit confused.

Also, consider this if you will. In my living room I have two computers, both desktops, one is used mostly for work and games and the other is purely a media PC. On the media PC I have my entire audio library stored mostly in FLAC files and about 10% in mp3 as that's how I originally came by those files.

That PC is plugged into my audio system and to my ears sounds pretty good. Because of this I rarely play CD's these days.

Also, I have a computer in the bedroom connected via a network where I can also play music from the living room media computer through an audio system.

My network is wireless, I'm using a Linksys router, although all computers are hard wired through the ethernet ports and none actually have wireless cards fitted at the moment.

The only other room I play music is the kitchen and out there I have an amp, speakers and an I-Pod dock which I'm happy with.

So if I've got this right I don't think a Squeezebox would be very beneficial to me - your views?

And on a related subject as I don't play audio CD's very often - mostly just vinyl, FLAC files and tuner - I was considering losing the CD player from my living room setup, I've never been entirely happy with the sound of it anyway (it's a Cambridge Audio 640C).

Was also thinking of putting my 1400 CD's into storage in my lockup as they do take up a lot of room and mostly just gather dust. I have them all (and more) in FLAC files. I also have my entire digital audio library backed up to two external hard disks, one of which I keep at my lockup in case of fire or theft at home so I think I'm fairly well covered against hard disk failure and the aforementioned fire and theft.

Waddya reckon?
Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I bought a SBox simply because my CD player had conked out. Haven't looked back!

But they aren't necessary and might indeed be outmoded by something even 'better' ... you never know!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

As far as I can see, all the Squeezebox would do in your case is replace the wired link between your media PC and your hifi. Whether that would be better or not depends on how good your PC's sound card, DAC etc are, but it doesn't really sound like it's going to be worth it. The only other thing to bear in mind is that multiple squeezeboxes could feed the contents of the media PC into your other systems, and could also allow you to access it from a different location across the internet. Could be useful...
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

Post by mainscablesrus »

SB Touch is brilliant, listen to jazz fm, rip all your cd collection then store them all away, masses of extra space, dowmload hi-res audio from HDtracks, awesome, easy to set up too!
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

I've come back to this, have been thinking about a Squeezebox again.

Since last posting here I now have a DAC (home made from this module Here ) between media computer optical digital out and Hi Fi audio amplifier. I am really rather impressed with the sound quality, FLAC files sound very good indeed. Several friends have had a listen and agree with me.

So my current setup is a media computer with BluRay drive and a 2Tb HDD with audio and movie files on it. My FLAC folder atm is 560Gb and I have quite a lot of mp3 files as well. I rarely use the CD player now and am thinking of getting rid of it as the media computer optical disk drive plays audio CD's ok.

There's just one snag - each time I want to play music from the media computer I have to use my 37" TV (monitor) and wireless mouse/keyboard. What I'd like is an interface that for convenience sake connects wirelessly to the media computer with a small screen where I can select and play music without having to use keyboard/mouse/monitor.

The Squeezebox may be able to fulfil this function but £260 seems an awful lot of money to pay just for a little convenience.

So, questions: Where in the setup would the Squeezebox go? How does the Squeezebox connect wirelessly to my current three PC wired network or media computer? Could the Squeezebox access the other 2 computers? Does the Squeezebox have a radio tuner? If so would this enable me to discard my current stand alone DAB/FM tuner?

I have tried searching for answers but am still confused, the official Logitech site seems the most unhelpful of all, they seem more concerned in promoting and selling their product than in explaining the technical side of things.

Any help and advice much apreciated.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

Squeezebox Touch can be had for around £200 - that's the current price at PC World.

I use mine all the time, frequently listening to Radio 2 via the iPlayer plugin - it sounds great :)
You could do a lot worse than visit DtB and see how he has things running at his place.
Chris :happy3:
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

What sort of mobile phone do you have? If it's Android or iPhone, there are apps that allow you to control PC media players via wifi, so you wouldn't need to switch on the telly.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I use a Squeezebox Touch.

Don't understand the technicalities but I have radio on my one, easy to use and good quality. I'm using it at this very moment, when I selected "classic" it came up with 25 selections. :)

DTB is the man to see if you need facts. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Hi ya Flop's, I've just answered all yer questions over on your PC website! :-)

As ChrisMangler says, feel free to pop round if you want to hear one working in action. Actually, you could hear a Touch, a SB3 (Classic), 2 x PCs running SqueezePlay and a MacBook running Squeezeplay too. Then there's the Controller that I stream to for the shed and garage.............

I like the Squeezebox system! You can tell can't you.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Thanks for replies :D Dave, I'll be in touch, thank you.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

The touch comes up on Amazon now and again for £140, or just go for a second hand classic off eBay to get started...