Computer Audio

Dedicated to the silver disk spinner
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

richardcooper2k wrote:a friend has an icy box .
May i suggest they get a copy of the Damart catalogue ! :lol:

(sorry about mis quoting you)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

Just bought this from Maplin http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?cri ... ce=15&SD=Y and the improvement in sound quality it brings over the standard SB3 PSU is immediately apparent.

And they're on offer too ATM - just short of £20.

Well worth a punt !

Is this the same PSU you mentioned in one of your posts Mr Shadow ?

Chris :D
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

The Stratmangler wrote: Is this the same PSU you mentioned in one of your posts Mr Shadow ?

Yep :) They're very good PSUs for Squeezeboxes IMO. A steal at the price.

I have two of these: one set at 12V powering the DAC and another, set at 5V, powering my SB.

Steve
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

SteveTheShadow wrote:
The Stratmangler wrote: Is this the same PSU you mentioned in one of your posts Mr Shadow ?

I have two of these: one set at 12V powering the DAC and another, set at 5V, powering my SB.

Steve
I've been using SB3 in stock form for a few months now, and the PSU upgrade has been a real smack around the head.

I wonder what a good linear PSU would bring to the party.

Chris :)
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Hi Chris

I often wonder what a linear PSU might sound like, but the jump up was so great from the stock PSU to the Maplin switcher that I can't see the improvement being anything other than subtle, if any.

I could be wrong though as there has been some real heated debate between the switchers and the linear fans on the Slim Devices forum.

I cant be bothered to try though as I enjoy the SB3 as it is.

Some people suggest that a further improvement can be gained when the waranty runs out by fitting a high frequency pulse transformer in the digital output but I'm far too clumsy around miniature SS circuits to even dare contemplate it. I have enough trouble with B9A valve bases as it is :D

Steve
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Hi Steve

I must admit that I am enjoying the results of the SMPS change too much to get particularly tied up with the linear PSU thing for the time being - another time maybe !

The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

HI Ed

Near the start of this thread you mentioned the Buffalo Linkstation, and the need to be IT literate.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I have managed to get my head around everything I've tried to date (eventually).

How difficult is it to get Slimserver running on the Linkstation, and can you give any tips on how to do it ?

PS - it all sounds simple if you ask the question quickly enough !
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Hi Chris

Linkstation is not difficult per se....but you need an understanding of linux at command level......

Basically the linkstation is a sealed box(no user serviceable parts inside).

You have to reconfigure/compile a linux kernel that allows you to telnet into the machine.....the basic linkstation linux does not let you in.

So you build a kernel in a directory with a telnet module and reflash(shoehorn) the new kernel into the linkstation after having established local network point to point connection.

Once you have a stable linux with telnet capability you can port slimserver onto the machine and configure it for boot start.

There are walkthroughs and help files and source files on the linkstation wiki forum.

If any of the above is alien to you then I suggest you follow the qnap route(more expensive but safe) as any mistakes in the procedure above can turn your linkstation into a brick.

I hope that is helpful. I don't want to be alarmist but the forum has more than its fair share of horror stories re the 'bricking' of the LS.

Ed
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Hi Ed

I think I'll follow your advice and go the QNAP route eventually - I haven't played around with Linux in any shape or form, and I don't fancy making an expensive door stop !

In the meantime I'll carry on running a PC with Slimserver.

Many thanks
Chris
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Well guys

We tried the SMPS Maplin power supply on another Squeezebox, this time at Simon's place. Again the improvement was not subtle! so that's 3-0 to Maplin power supplies.

Through Simon's system it was also dead easy to hear the positive difference made by the addition of a Beresford DAC, also powered by a Maplin SMPS, to the Squeezebox. The Beresford is quite a controversial DAC maybe because it seems far too cheap for the performance on offer.

Owners of very expensive DACs seem to be in a state of denial about it on other forums. Quite understandable I suppose. But the fact that this DAC is rather good remains.

Steve
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

I'm going to Maplins tomorrow to buy a power supply. It's the wrong time of the year or I'd get a DAC too.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Hi Steve

Are you using the optical or cable connection between SB3 And Beresford ?

Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

The Stratmangler wrote:Hi Steve

Are you using the optical or cable connection between SB3 And Beresford ?

I'm using the coaxial cable connection.

Steve
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

SteveTheShadow wrote:

Steve
Hi Steve

Just been digging around various forum about the Beresford DAC, noted that the device does seem to polarise opinion.

Something I did notice is that some folks are reporting really good results using the Maplin SMPS set for 13.5v - have you given this a go ?

Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

The DAC is a puzzle sure enough, I haven't looked too deeply but it seems to be e fairly general off-the-shelf chip-set, what else could it be for £100? So this begs the question what exactly makes it sound as good as it's reported to do?

cheers,

-- Andrew