UKdrills

Somewhere to tell us of supplies who go the extra mile, or run away with your dosh.
Nick
Site Admin

#1 UKdrills

Post by Nick »

I have used these for three orders now, great service in each case.

http://www.ukdrills.com/
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Loads of people use them for a bit. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

pre65 wrote:Loads of people use them for a bit. :wink:
VG.

ISWYDT.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

Have bookmarked them :snorting:

I use a fair few of them 6mm SDS bits.
Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Ditto.

Well the first bit.

SWIDT

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Question for those who know their bits (stoppit!) What's the difference between the different bit types? HSS, HSS Ground, titanium coated, cobalt? Presumably the more expensive the better.

But my cheap set from some DIY shed or other which has titanium coating seems to have gone blunt much quicker than my dad's set of engineering bits he's had for many years. Do they just not make them the same anymore, or are they so cheap just chuck 'em when they're blunt?
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Yeah once I got one of these special deal everything in it kits for peanuts, it's shite, like tried one of the wood bits, there was so much friction versus any actual cutting the wood caught fire! :shock:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Bizzie
Old Hand

Post by Bizzie »

simon wrote:Question for those who know their bits (stoppit!) What's the difference between the different bit types? HSS, HSS Ground, titanium coated, cobalt? Presumably the more expensive the better.

But my cheap set from some DIY shed or other which has titanium coating seems to have gone blunt much quicker than my dad's set of engineering bits he's had for many years. Do they just not make them the same anymore, or are they so cheap just chuck 'em when they're blunt?
HSS "high speed steel" good engineering metalworking drill but can be used for wood plastic etc, not sure about HSS ground maybe more accurate? cobalt is really hard and tough will drill through harder steels such as stainless, I've used one to drill out a high tensile bolt that a HSS drill wouldn't touch and it didn't blunten it at all expensive though (one 7mm drill cost me £6) but should last a lifetime if treated properly
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Yes cobalt drills are great for stainless but not cheap.Basically,you get what you pay for.Don't buy cheap sets that claim to go through anything.They don't.It's worth paying the extra IMO,will save you money in the long run.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Thanks chaps. So a 19 bit HSS drill set for £7.54 might be false economy? An equivalent cobalt set is £23.49, which is nearly 4 of the cheap sets. You pays yer money and makes yer choice I guess?
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

All this drill-talk in't arf boring.

DTB
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

You don't love it to bits then?
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

I don't see the point.

DTB
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

simon wrote:Thanks chaps. So a 19 bit HSS drill set for £7.54 might be false economy? An equivalent cobalt set is £23.49, which is nearly 4 of the cheap sets. You pays yer money and makes yer choice I guess?
I don't know for certain, but I think how they are used affects life as well. I know when I can use my cheap drill stand it cuts a lot nicer and I suspect does less damage to the bit than when I have to use a hand drill.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Bizzie
Old Hand

Post by Bizzie »

The use of a cutting fluid will help any cutting edge last longer and improve the quality of cut even if its just a squirt of 3 in 1 although there are some proper cutting fluids available cheap if you do a lot of this type of work.