Mosfet mumblings.

For the three and more legged things
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#16 Re: Mosfet mumblings.

Post by pre65 »

For some time I've been on the verge of building a class A sand amp. First I got some Lyndsley Hood PCBs, and then some Colin Wonfor PCBs, both for 20W amps. No parts have yet been obtained for either build. :(

I did try a single ended mosfet amp years ago, but it was lacking in power. Tony Moore built one and he likes it.

Then came Nicks prototype mosfet amp at Owston, very nice, but I can't afford a pair. :(

So, after spending many hours on the interweb I've come across a Nelson Pass design for a single ended 50W mosfet (SOT-227 package) amp, with Schade feedback to give it triode type curves.

There is a YouTube video on this, and you want part 2 which is from 30 mins - 48 mins.

I'm seriously considering actually buying some parts and giving it a go. :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#17 Re: Mosfet mumblings.

Post by pre65 »

There is a DIY audio topic on this as well if you are interested.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-lab ... abled.html

I'll start a topic in "projects" soon. :)

There may be economies if parts are purchased in multiples, let me know if you want to join in.

Edmund Burke

mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#18 Re: Mosfet mumblings.

Post by mainscablesrus »

DIY is ok if it floats your boat, good luck to those of you who tinker, but seriously just save up and buy a proper amp.
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#19 Re: Mosfet mumblings.

Post by pre65 »

mainscablesrus wrote:DIY is ok if it floats your boat, good luck to those of you who tinker, but seriously just save up and buy a proper amp.
I'd be saving till I die for a pair of Nicks new mosfet amps. :wink:

Edmund Burke

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#20 Re: Mosfet mumblings.

Post by Mike H »

Phil is one of those that likes to tinker with stuff and in so doing find out about it. It's a great sense of achievement when something you made from scratch is finally fired up and actually works. Other people get a kick out of fishing. Which to me personally is like watching paint dry but I accept that it takes all sorts to make a world. :lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#21 Re: Mosfet mumblings.

Post by mainscablesrus »

A bit of an interview with Nick below

http://theaudiophileman.com/longdog/
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#22 Re: Mosfet mumblings.

Post by mainscablesrus »

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#23 Re: Mosfet mumblings.

Post by IslandPink »

That's a very good interview. I've had the advantage of hearing all the observations & info about those two products already, but it's nice that people in the wider audio world can hear Nick talking and explaining things so clearly.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#24 Re: Mosfet mumblings.

Post by mainscablesrus »

What I want to hear above all else is your speakers Andrew when they are finally done (2017???) and Nicks amps together.

Good idea?
Nick
Site Admin

#25 Re: Mosfet mumblings.

Post by Nick »

I had forgotten about that. I had no warning about that interview, so its all a bit on the spot :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#26 Re: Mosfet mumblings.

Post by mainscablesrus »

Nick wrote:I had forgotten about that. I had no warning about that interview, so its all a bit on the spot :-)
I was searching for images of your amp and came across Paul's post on his blog!
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#27 Re: Mosfet mumblings.

Post by IslandPink »

mainscablesrus wrote:What I want to hear above all else is your speakers Andrew when they are finally done (2017???) and Nicks amps together.
Good idea?
You talking to me ?
My speakers won't run off a standard full-range amp as the crossovers will be in the amps. I'll always have to provide my own amplification, but the speakers are not demanding at all, as they are very high efficiency and each amp only drives one or two drivers with no complex crossover parts. When Nick was here we had the folded horn running off about 50mW I think.
Nick's phono can definitely be part of any analogue set-up we do, though.

Mark
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#28 Re: Mosfet mumblings.

Post by Mike H »

Excellent! :thumbright:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#29 Re: Mosfet mumblings.

Post by mainscablesrus »

I do believe a certain chap is getting 2 new Gorham amplifiers tomorrow, lucky sod!
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#30 Re: Mosfet mumblings.

Post by Toppsy »

That'll be me then :mrgreen:

Nick has just left. We have spent most the afternoon listening to various music on vinyl through my Norge speakers and it's the best I have heard these. Female vocal of the likes of Lorena McKenna, Tori Amos have never sounded so good. Bass is rock solid and detailed. There is nothing to dislike about these amps. They simply reproduce music, pure with great dynamics. I am a very happy bunny indeed.

I'll post up more on a separate thread tomorrow after more listening to different genre of music from rock to simple acoustic. I'll also post up some piccies.

Be patient David as Nick has now got some floor space to start the build of yours.