Panasonic A400

For the three and more legged things
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 Panasonic A400

Post by Paul Barker »

Sadly a mate has fallen fowl of the resession and lost his house. He is now back in work but too late. Anyway clearing out his loft he has asked me to store his plumbing gear until he is back on his feet and his hifi seperates. Anyuway the cassette decks and the cd player and the video don't interest me but thinking it was as a goodwill gesture I offered him £40 for his Pioneer A400. He said "you are on the money" so both happy. Me thinking solid state must be crap.

Shocked, it is better than the Pass amp version 4 I think it is, this thing stomps all over it. The PX4 is going to have to be very good to better this amp.

Shocked I have to tell you. Didn't know the solid state world had made progress since 15 years ago when I last checked. I know this amp is classed as vintage now but it isn't vintage to my memory of solid state. I always knew solid state would catch up with valves. It is now a very close call between a good valve amp and this box of sand.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

If I remember correctly they were a bit of a giant killer in their day, in their price range. :wink:

EDIT.

One amp deserves a special mention, the Pioneer A400. Like the 3020 this set the cat amongst the pigeons. A 240GBP integrated that was said to see off pre-powers up to 1500 GBP and lay waste to any integrated on the planet. Now things have quietened down a bit we can take a saner view, but by luck and judgement Pioneer, not known for their hi-fi pretensions, got this one right.
The result was that they sold by the truckload so are easy to find. Like the NAD it went beyond its rated power of 60 watts and pumped current like a good-un. It sounds like real hi-fi, fast, lucid, detailed with good imaging and clout below.
Ultimately it can be a bit harsh, and the phono stage is OK on MM and poor on MC but it's an excellent choice. The smaller A300 was pretty good too, but the phono section worse. When the 400 was replaced by the 400X some of the magic was gone (big surprise...) and demand meant that the 400 continued alongside it's replacement.
This stripped down audiophile integrated produce several clones from companies such as Denon (e.g. PMA 350) and Marantz (e.g. PM40 SE) but though good, and worth seeking out they never bettered the original and without the cult status they sold less and consequently are harder to find. They came in several model numbers, but the give away is the lack of tone controls. A good A400 ought to be under £150 pounds, the Marantz and Denon clones noticeably cheaper.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Thanks Phil I would agree for once with a reviewer. Exactly how I would have put it.

This is so good I feel that I will be putting the px4 on top of it and switching from one to the other when the music type changes. I never thought I would stumble onto a solid state amp which satisfied me like a valve amp.

Perhaps I have to join a different forum. :shock:
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Paul Barker wrote:Thanks Phil I would agree for once with a reviewer. Exactly how I would have put it.

This is so good I feel that I will be putting the px4 on top of it and switching from one to the other when the music type changes. I never thought I would stumble onto a solid state amp which satisfied me like a valve amp.

Perhaps I have to join a different forum. :shock:
Hi Paul
That is why I like both Sand and Valve amps
Service Manual A400.400X
http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_librar ... -400.shtml
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Thank you.
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

i have a bit of a thing for early seventies rotel amps, i had a couple of them when i was very skint. however i really like the rotel ra212, only 10w but for a sand amp it was a lovely little thing. it was stuffed full of elna caps and alps pots, everything in it was good quality. there are some diamonds in the rough for bugger all money.
i had a bloody great big trio ka something that was nice too, i might still have that somewhere....
Lee S
Old Hand

Post by Lee S »

Yep.... got rid of my valve amp for a 1979 Sansui AU 719 and never looked back. 8)
©2020 Lee
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

Paul Barker wrote: Perhaps I have to join a different forum. :shock:
S'alright Paul, I use solid-state amps all the time...
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I've got a QED A240-CD sand amp in my office system.

To be honest, in the short term, it sounds quite good, but in the long term it can give ear fatigue. Transistor ear I believe. :wink: :lol:

Perhaps I will try it in the main system and see if that still applies. :)

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Ever the open minded person, I've installed the QED amp in the main system.

So, Squeezebox - AK4393 DAC - QED amp - baffles.

To be honest, I'm surprised with the sound. :) I'll leave it playing for a while and see how the ears react. :wink:

Edmund Burke

Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Usual case when you go back to SS after a long time with valves, you find that SS is not so bad after all.
It's a good leveller.

Both are good, just different.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Sellers are asking good money for A400 amps. :wink:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-A-400 ... 1c3f5f4a2c

Edmund Burke

Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

SteveTheShadow wrote:Usual case when you go back to SS after a long time with valves, you find that SS is not so bad after all.
It's a good leveller.

Yes, I think Steve and I proved that with those £2.50 chip amps we tried on his speakers. Lost surprisingly little to his valve amp.
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

Ali Tait wrote:
SteveTheShadow wrote:Usual case when you go back to SS after a long time with valves, you find that SS is not so bad after all.
It's a good leveller.

Yes, I think Steve and I proved that with those £2.50 chip amps we tried on his speakers. Lost surprisingly little to his valve amp.
Funny i spent a few months with those in the system whilst the px25 amp was rebuilt, when it went back in the system and at home, the differences seemed massive, its all about hearing something different. Small differences at out meets = big differences at home from my experences

Ive had more than a few well regarded solid state amps, a ferrograph and a sugden a21 come to mind, along with a few more.. No thanks
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Aye, don't disagree Steve, when it comes down to it, but they were pretty good amps for £2.50!