Pass Labs F4

For the three and more legged things
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Info ?
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/
More discussion and build info than you could shake a stick at .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#32 Nearly finished

Post by IslandPink »

As expected, there was no whirlwind of activity on this, however, see attached - one channel finished . Second one will only be a few days behind .
Attachments
KIF_0129.JPG
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I spy star earth tags, where did you get them Mark ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#34 Star

Post by IslandPink »

No Phil, honestly, it's just a little propeller used to move air around the inside... :)

( actually I got it from the little box upstairs in my electronics stash ... but I'm not telling anyone what my postcode is )
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

lol, 'course you can make a star earth tag by putting a few "ornary" tag washers on one screw :lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Hi Mark

I've just seen you're pics of the F4 progress...I might be a bit late here but one problem I had with both my first watts was the pesky rf from the toroids. There is a good chance of rf probs if you mount your transformers at the rear of the box, anywhere near the i/p circuit.

I did loads of measurements and scope pics, and after some dialogue with Nelson he said my interference problems were down to mounting the transformers at the rear, close to i/p wiring etc.

He mounts his at the front.

I had to insert steel sheets to block rf in the F2, it was easier than re-doing the whole layout.

If you do have zzz/hum probs then I found that rotating the toroids can have an effect, but it wasn't the whole answer.

just a thought, or two.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

ed wrote:Hi Mark

I've just seen you're pics of the F4 progress...I might be a bit late here but one problem I had with both my first watts was the pesky rf from the toroids. There is a good chance of rf probs if you mount your transformers at the rear of the box, anywhere near the i/p circuit.

I did loads of measurements and scope pics, and after some dialogue with Nelson he said my interference problems were down to mounting the transformers at the rear, close to i/p wiring etc.

He mounts his at the front.

I had to insert steel sheets to block rf in the F2, it was easier than re-doing the whole layout.

If you do have zzz/hum probs then I found that rotating the toroids can have an effect, but it wasn't the whole answer.

just a thought, or two.
Yep, but it has to be said Ed that your F2 board layout does cover a fair amount of space.

And remember the F4 has no gain.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

doesn't alter the fact that if you put the transformers at the front there is little risk of rf interference......
and..and .. and

Mark's transformers are a lot closer to the i/p circuit and wires than mine are on the F4....but I appreciate he's got less chance of nasties being dual mono.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Mmmm..too late !
Well, I shall just have to see how it goes.
I'm using shielded input wires ( the old WAD grey stuff actually ) and will run the wires around the inside of the upper chassis lip as much as possible . As Nick says, it's coming in at a considerably higher signal level with the F4, so hopefully that will keep things acceptable . I do have some mu-metal upstairs for the LCR phono ( one day ) so should have some left over if needed for later tweeks .

Just been doing a bit more on the amp this evening . I'm about 1 or 2 hours work away from being finished now . Will try to get my friend Len over for the set-up and adjustments, with his trusty Variac .

Cheers
MJ
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

IslandPink wrote:I'm using shielded input wires ( the old WAD grey stuff actually ) MJ
Surely that's not good. On just about every WAD kit the considered general opinion was replace that horrible boot lace with something better at the earliest opportunity! Most of us did. It's your turn now, Mark! :wink:
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Aye, I'm going to have to rewire my pre 2. What wire did you use Greg?
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Without being biased, can I put in a vote for the pink "Silver Plated Copper Screened wire" that HiFi collective sells.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Nick wrote:Without being biased, can I put in a vote for the pink "Silver Plated Copper Screened wire" that HiFi collective sells.
paradox?
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Bloody buddhists :-)

YNWIM :-)
ed
retired

Post by ed »

YKWIM?
Attachments
snigger.jpg