Hifimediy T4 Tripath 2050

For the three and more legged things
bostod
User

#1 Hifimediy T4 Tripath 2050

Post by bostod »

Well here is my fist attempt at putting some circuit bard together . the Hifimediy T4 board and the connexelectronic 300r smps power supply.
after some initial problems connecting the power supply ( thanks Al Newall for the advice) I managed to put it all together and try it out. I have just rehoused it today in a cheap screw fix metal box.
the initial test revealed the TK 2050 chip to be very good. It does not have the bass or the impact of the 3020 chip. But it make up for this in midrange and fine detail.
only my first impression and I need to burn it in a little then do a direct comparison.
but I can say for sure for £200 including all extras, Case Wiring etc, it is a no brainer. I am not sure what could compete with this for the price.

Finally i have got the set up for my Attic. just needs some fine tuning now. What a journey so far :lol:
Last edited by bostod on Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
bostod
User

Post by bostod »

I have some nice pictures but they are to big. how do i reduce the size so i can post on here
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

bostod wrote:I have some nice pictures but they are to big. how do i reduce the size so i can post on here
I use a photo holding site (Photobucket) to post my photos. It is free to use. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
bostod
User

Post by bostod »

hopefully the links will work

Last edited by bostod on Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Works for me.

If you select IMG code on Photobucket the photo comes up on here without having to click the link.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
bostod
User

Post by bostod »

oh look at that Thank you Pre65
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

Nice job.
No stopping you now. :D
Much to learn there is.
bostod
User

Post by bostod »

I have finally spent some time comparing my 3020 Tripath with this 2050. the Amp has burnt in nicely. the only difference that I can detect is in the sound stage. the 3020 plays the instruments in more space while keeping it all together. With the 2050 the instruments are more focused and separate. the detail on each amp are about the same to my ears neither appear veiled.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Nice work !
bostod wrote:I have some nice pictures but they are to big. how do i reduce the size so i can post on here
There's a program called 'GIMP' ( Gimp2 ) which is very useful for playing around with picture formats/types . including shrinking big image files down .
- Freeware .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
bostod
User

Post by bostod »

I have developed a problem with this Amplifier and i begining to tear my hair out.
I replaced the cheap mundorf caps with some more expensive ones to improve the sound. The problem is i now get an audible hiss when both speakers are plugged in. this is without any music playing. the hiss does not get louder when i turn up the volume.
i have trien to resolder the original caps back in but the problem remains. i have also double checked all the solder joints and P/S cable joints. I put the new caps back in both facing the same way(but i dont think this matters).
I thought i had cracked it when i switched back on and listend to music. all the hiss had gone. then i realised that only one speaker was working. I swapped both negative speaker terminals at the back of the amp and both speakers worked but the hiss was back. Finally i have tried to use only the negative terminal for both speakers but this reintroduced the hiss as well.
Can anyone help
Last edited by bostod on Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brig001
Old Hand

Post by brig001 »

Just a thought, as far as I can tell, this amp is bridged, so all four speaker terminals should be at about half supply voltage when there is no input - can you check this?

Just a thought with the hiss, have you got the speaker connections right? Could you have each speaker connected to + on one amp, and - on the other?

If all this checks out, I would check to see that each channel operates independently. So if you connect both speakers and only give a signal to the left, does it only come out of the left speaker. You can also check the right channel the same way.

Let us know how you get on.

Brian.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

for what its worth, I had that amp here and it worked fine connected to a pair of speakers. but as said all the speaker terminals are powered, and each speaker must be floating.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
bostod
User

Post by bostod »

time to buy a mulitmeter :)
bostod
User

Post by bostod »

brig001 wrote:Just a thought, as far as I can tell, this amp is bridged, so all four speaker terminals should be at about half supply voltage when there is no input - can you check this?
Brian.
Ok first things first. How would one test the speaker terminals. the supply voltage is around 45v dc
brig001
Old Hand

Post by brig001 »

If you keep the negative probe of the meter on the negative supply rail, check the voltages on all four speaker terminals. I would expect about 22.5V DC on each.

Brian.