Pioneer's SA500 Blowing protection fuse

For the three and more legged things
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Or try Mike H for a Danbury choke ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

ah that hasn't worked image out of focus
The out of focus effect is just a reduced size image, click on the image and you will see the full size one.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Using a choke is all very well but so far the currents quoted are just the quiescent idling, when the amplifier's are driving speakers to any decent kind of power they will be pulling AMPERES.... which will all have to come from the charge on the last supply cap, and then replaced, through a choke ~ it will have to be a high current one then

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Ha Well it was just an idea to be a bit different high current sounds expensive maybe better to just use new 30volt TX with good diodes and double up on the capacitance
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Or, but more complicated, could be a 2x18VAC (36VAC) so can use a Voltage regulator churning out 42V DC. Image

Bu-ut, means reservoir will have to be rated for 63V or higher.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Mike H wrote:Or, but more complicated, could be a 2x18VAC (36VAC) so can use a Voltage regulator churning out 42V DC. Image

Bu-ut, means reservoir will have to be rated for 63V or higher.
Well now looking to build a regulated single rail x2 psu Supply for the pioneer SA 500 And a Preamp kinda based on the naim hi cap

Psu Pre amp requires 30V and the amp requires 42v
Parts I have to hand are an 18-0-18-0 volt 300VA plus 10.000uf 63v x2 and three LM338K 1.5 to 32 volts 5 amp regulators TO 3 case types plus heat sinks would anyone care to come up with a suitably circuit in spice with parts list
pioneer SA500 Sch only the power amps is being used
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

colin.hepburn wrote:....................And a Preamp kinda based on the naim hi cap
Now why would you want to do that?
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Greg wrote:
colin.hepburn wrote:....................And a Preamp kinda based on the naim hi cap
Now why would you want to do that?
Well my main system is solid state so want a good PSU to run a clone Naim 32.5 single ended pre amp and also to run the pioneer SA 500 Singe ended push pull amp so a clone version of the naim Hi cap psu is the way to go with this I think :)
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

OK, if you like what the Naim does, so be it. Sorry, when it comes to anything Naim, I'm a total sceptic
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Greg wrote:OK, if you like what the Naim does, so be it. Sorry, when it comes to anything Naim, I'm a total sceptic
Hi Greg
I'd be interested in your views on why you are a total sceptic about naim gear I have read that some don't like the naim stuff
I have the naim clone pre amp well will have when it arrives it was cheap of ebay so thought I would just try it
The naim hi cap Psu clone seems like a logical way of running both the pre amp and my SA500 pioneer which has a vibrating Transformer which i will be changing
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Colin, how's the EL34 amp coming along.

When that gets going you will want to forget about sand amps. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

It's only a power supply Greg :D

colin.hepburn wrote:Psu Pre amp requires 30V and the amp requires 42v.
Parts I have to hand are an 18-0-18-0 volt 300VA plus 10.000uf 63v x2 and three LM338K 1.5 to 32 volts 5 amp regulators TO 3 case types plus heat sinks would anyone care to come up with a suitably circuit in spice with parts list
Well would you believe it just so happens I've got a LM338 model.

Oh what a coincidence :lol:

This is a single-sided supply I presume? By which I mean, just ground 0V, a plus 30V and a plus 42V?

If so could have separate bridge rectifier cap & reg for each power amp.

Can look into it shortly

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Second question ~ originally the 30V pre-amp part is just taken off the main 42V rail via a 1.8k resistor, do you still want it like that or have it with its own separate regulator?

colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Mike H wrote:Second question ~ originally the 30V pre-amp part is just taken off the main 42V rail via a 1.8k resistor, do you still want it like that or have it with its own separate regulator?
Hi Mike
Yep single rail ground 0V, plus 30V and a plus 42V adjustably
It's a different pre amp it is in fact a naim clone 42.5 needs its own 30 volt reg psu and the amp need its own reg feed 42 volts but which can be reverse back to unregulated off the same psu if it changes the sound in the wrong way ???
Parts I got
18-0-18-0 @330VA
10.000uf@63voltsX2
Three LM338KX3 plus heat sinks
PS may be good to have two separate reg 30v supplies for the pre amp it thats possible see pre sch
Attachments
Naim 42.5 pre.jpg
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Yep can do, need to get on with finishing some web pages first then can have a look