Germanium Amplifier

For the three and more legged things
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Do you use thermal paste when attaching the angle and heatsinks to the chassis Mike?

And where do you get the heatsinks from? They look like useful animals.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

#1. Yes I have. The insulators are the rubbery 'greaseless' type, even so I tend to add a dab of paste as well.

#2. The ones on the MOSFET's? Were from eBay, but can't find them now, actually for TO220 size so had to cut off two side cheeks on the opposite side to the fins.

HTH

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Okay thanks Mike. I'll have a look on ebay - I've trawled through the search part of Farnell a few times but not found what I've been looking for. Can't beat a picture of something that "looks right".
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Simon

they're called sil-pads.

RS sell them for £1 each ish
Farnell sell them for £2 for 20 ish
ebay sell them for anywhere in between...size doesn't seem to matter

go figure
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Thanks ed, but it's the heatsinks I'm after really. I'm thinking particularly of some nice finned ones for mounting on top (probably) for my Coleman regs.

There are 1173 natural convection heatsinks to go at on Farnell...
http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse ... allpartial
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

EDIT: insulating kits

~ RS TO220... pretty sure it's a pack of 10

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/7128225/

TO247 ....

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/thermally ... s/7073367/

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Found these!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Pcs-15x11x5 ... 51a2284a92

Also found this lot, for bigger ones, looks useful, I recognise some shapes there....

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Discount-Devic ... =647532103

simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

There look to be some suitable candidates on that second link :-)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Yes some I recognise as familiar are like what Maplin use to sell years ago, they have nothing like that now. So it doesn't seem like they are not being MADE any more that is the 'problem'

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Back to Simon's original question, is there paste between the angles and the chassis panels, not sure there is actually, I was mostly involved with making it fit it together, still, seems to conduct OK. Not that it hardly gets warm apart from the MOSFET's, unless the lid is on then it gets kinda luke warm. Mostly 'cause of the MOSFET's & mains transformer. Can't keep the lid on at the mo as it makes the mains TX buzzing worse, interestingly

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Just for a conclusion, of sorts ~

Either I'm getting more used to it or it's settling down more, a couple of progs on Radio 2 yesterday evening sounded awesome. (Possibly engineered better than normal as well which would've helped a lot.)

On the WD topic where the Burns Orbit schematic was posted, I got a distinct impression of 'lack of enthusiasm' about the basic concept .....

Elsewhere, another forum topic that Google threw up had a mention, basically saying "OC35's should not be touched with a long pole" or words to that effect, well they seem to be doing alright to me!

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Going back to Simon's original question, think I will take the heatsinks off and put back with paste on ~ speshly as they're slightly bowed as well

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Steve Wright has just played (well over 25 minutes ago, show's finished now) Lulu doing 'The Man Who Sold The World'. When she does the choruses there's definitely a male voice singing along with her, in perfect synchronisation, hence not very obvious. Never knew that before.

This proves how much I don't know about this song :D ~ it's David Bowie, it's his composition (was a B side & appears on 'various Bowie compilations') and he wanted Lulu to cover it, and he produced that version.

colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Mike try the Amp with a valve Pre if you have one you maybe surprised :)
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

colin.hepburn wrote:Mike try the Amp with a valve Pre if you have one you maybe surprised :)
Bring it to Philfest 2012 and try it with my Pre3 :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)