CDP Advice Please.

For the three and more legged things
DaveK
User

#1 CDP Advice Please.

Post by DaveK »

Hi Guys,
Can I make an attempt to pick your combined brains, knowledge and experience and as for your advice on the following? I have been in contact with a guy about GainClones and it transpires that he is listing a total of 5 Marantz CDPs on eBay, 3 of which are currently listed - see

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MARANTZ-CD67-SE-M ... 3358572d43

If you look at the seller's other items you will see the two other mod'd CDPs that he is offering. My question is does any of the mods that the seller has done make sonic sense to you. I ask because I have a Marantz CD-63 Mk II and am considering having the guy tweak mine similarly.
Any response would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Dave.
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

Dave.

He's done a few sensible upgrades which will probably be a worthwhile improvement over the standard player.
However, they're not expensive upgrades, such as fitting a new clock circuit, or a better supply. Its the sort of thing a knowledgeable person could do for a few quid.
Some of the changes might not be of much benefit if you were using a separate DAC anyway.
So not worth paying much above the standard player price in my opinion.
His claims for performance seem a bit optimistic, but may be justified. Difficult to say really.
Much to learn there is.