Transistors. 1958

For the three and more legged things
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Transistors. 1958

Post by pre65 »

British Pathe film of transistors being made at Newmarket,Suffolk. Not that far from where I live !

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=186
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Thanks for that! Image (again)

I'll watch it again later with the sound on

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

They're hexagons!

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

A year after this was made, Europe's (and possibly the world's, I'm not sure) first purpose-built semiconductor factory opened in Swindon. Having failed to find a buyer, it will be closing at the end of this month, with 50 years worth of IP going to China.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Dammit another one.

Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

shane wrote:A year after this was made, Europe's (and possibly the world's, I'm not sure) first purpose-built semiconductor factory opened in Swindon. Having failed to find a buyer, it will be closing at the end of this month, with 50 years worth of IP going to China.
Sad isn't it.....
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Interesting that some basic principals haven't changed. At the beginning of the clip you can see a crystal being pulled from what I assume is molten germanium, about 3/4" in diameter and maybe 6" long. This is done by dipping a seed crystal in the pool and pulling it out slowly so that molten germanium solidifies as it's pulled out and a continuous crystal is formed. Exactly the same method is used to make silicon crystals today, the difference being that they are now about 12" in diameter, 10' long and weigh in at well over a ton! They are then sliced into disks about 1mm thick for chip manufacturing.

Couldn't find a picture of a 12" one, but here's an 8" to give you an idea

http://www.tf.uni-kiel.de/matwis/amat/e ... 6_1_2.html
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Gordon Bennett