Appeal for Help

For the three and more legged things
DaveK
User

#1 Appeal for Help

Post by DaveK »

Hi guys,
Some time ago, just after Eggborough, a certain gentleman (confirmed) by the name of Ali Tait posted that I would soon be building my own amps after I posted that I had done a bit of soldering on my Techie. My response was firmly in the negative. Well now, I've just bought this on an impulse: -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT

Questions: -
What will it drive - what is Class-T?
Is anyone willing to hold my hand, over the forum so to speak, whilst I have a crack at building it?
Thanks for any feedback,
Dave
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

Dave,

That is similar to the Tripath amp which i took along to Eggborough, on my debut appearance. :)

http://www.autocostruire.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=42

Yours should be a better design because it has beefier inductors and caps fitted from the word go.
It will drive most undemanding speakers with no problem, and you may be surprised how good it is.
Class T describes an amp based on the Tripath chips, but the correct term is Class D amplification.

I have also been contemplating one of these, because mine has been messed about so much its a bit fragile now.
Should be an easy build as most of the connections are screw in or plugs.
Plenty of help here, and a good first project.
Much to learn there is.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

And I seem to remember it sounded pretty good Al. In fact, and I could be wrong on this, I think it was hearing your amp that lead Jono Noble down the line of using class D amps for his bass drivers.
DaveK
User

Post by DaveK »

Good Morning Al,
Thanks very much for your helpful response - very appropriate actually as it was your referring to it on another thread earlier this week that drew my attention to it :D .
The seller has messaged me this morning stating that it ships "via Hong Kong" and is expected to take 3 weeks, so no hurry yet :) .
Thanks again,
Dave.
Tangye
User

#5 Tripath amp

Post by Tangye »

Hi Dave,

I've built 2 of theses they sound great but watch out if you solder the pot directly to the board the inputs are connected to the outputs so the board can be used as a power amp. iIf you solder a pot directly to that board you will get some output with the pot set to zero and maximum output after about 1/10 turn on the pot, you can see the connections on the pcb. If you want to solder the pot directly onto the board you will have to cut the track or do as I did and wire a pot in place with the input side of the pot directly connected to the rca inputs and the output of the pot to the pcb.
Sorry if this is confusing but I can dig out a diagram or photo if you need, the boards are good though,

Tangye