One Thing Audio Decoder

For the three and more legged things
Richard Higgins
User

#1 One Thing Audio Decoder

Post by Richard Higgins »

I enjoy listening to the radio and having read good things about the One Thing Audio stereo decoder arranged to take my Troughline along to them to modify to accept their decoder, and buy a decoder.
Their prices are, £50 to modify and align the Troughline and £180 for the decoder.
They agreed to do the work while I waited, but what should have taken an hour at the most actually took 2 1/2 hours.
When I bought the tuner some years ago from Classic Sounds and it had already been serviced by OTA and they had fitted a muliplex socket on the back, so, in theory, all that was required was to isolate the original decoder and reduce some voltages. This was quickly done, along with replacing a couple of capacitors, but the first decoder would not provide a stereo output. After much testing it was eventually realised that a small cap was missing from the pcb, the pcb replaced and all was well.
Due to the time taken they did not charge me the £50.

Once I was home I plugged the tuner and decoder in and had listen.
Well it certainly sounded different, it sounded like transistors at their worst.
If all else fails, read the instructions. Ah, now I remember, I was told that the input gain might need adjusting. A bit of a twiddle and success.

Was it worth doing? Yes the imaging is better, as are the dynamics and clarity.

Regards Richard H
Richard Higgins
User

Post by Richard Higgins »

I should have added, that if anyone is thinking of visiting OTA for troughline or ELS57 work send me a pm first, it's an interesting experience.
I should make it absolutely clear that there is nothing wrong with their products.

Cheers Richard