Horn Speaker Cabinets on EBay

Caveat emptor, Caveat venditor
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#1 Horn Speaker Cabinets on EBay

Post by vinylnvalves »

I saw these on that auction site, maybe of interest to someone in the Northwest....https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPEAKER-CABI ... Sw8Ehe52VA
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#2 Re: Horn Speaker Cabinets on EBay

Post by Ray P »

I thought 'they look interesting' until I saw just how poorly they've been made.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: Horn Speaker Cabinets on EBay

Post by pre65 »

They are at Littleborough, we went on a walk around Hollingworth lake some years ago.

Looks like a lot of effort went into making them.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#4 Re: Horn Speaker Cabinets on EBay

Post by Paul Barker »

I’d have got them for the cheapness but as it’s a risk not worth adding £60 fuel costs to purchase price. So I put the thought in room 101
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Ray P

#5 Re: Horn Speaker Cabinets on EBay

Post by Ray P »

Paul Barker wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:20 pm So I put the thought in room 101
Good decision (IMO of course). Looking at the pictures the horn profiles seem to widen and then narrow randomly and the two don't even look the same.
Paul Barker

#6 Re: Horn Speaker Cabinets on EBay

Post by Paul Barker »

not just me then, didn’t seem to follow the gradual expansion expected.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#7 Re: Horn Speaker Cabinets on EBay

Post by IslandPink »

Yes they are just hopeless in all respects. There is a back chamber there to limit the HF response, but then it should be a tight path first, that gradually opens out through the bends and then into the final flare on exit.
How much does firewood for a wood-burner cost, per kilo ?
Might be worth £15 on that basis but put the acrylic aside :)
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Paul Barker

#8 Re: Horn Speaker Cabinets on EBay

Post by Paul Barker »

IslandPink wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:09 pm Yes they are just hopeless in all respects. There is a back chamber there to limit the HF response, but then it should be a tight path first, that gradually opens out through the bends and then into the final flare on exit.
How much does firewood for a wood-burner cost, per kilo ?
Might be worth £15 on that basis but put the acrylic aside :)
Is it only me that’s been eying up the acrylic at super market, merchant counters etc longing for the coming epoch (whenever that may be) virus mutates into history books, like Spanish Flue became history so effectively vertually all the generation who lived through it have atritioned almost to same extinsion as Spanish Flue.

Then, I’ll be collecting the acrylic from the skips! Every cloud has a silver lining.

So, having had and overcome the virus, I’m not kidding you guys, genuinly I’m stronger in physical health than long before the virus. So I expect to be around to make use of the acrylic. I don’t mean that flipently, I fear greatly not all I know here can have such confidence, which I say with respect.

I don’t normally mension the politics of the times were in. But the deed is done, mob rule has ensured a second lock down, well done you handed government on a plate the opportunity for stiffer harder punishments, a state approaching martial law, and a further crippling of economy. But worst of all is more lives will be lost in second wave which is knocking the door down as fast and devastatingly as the SAS said hellow at the Iranian Embassy.
Ray P

#9 Re: Horn Speaker Cabinets on EBay

Post by Ray P »

Paul Barker wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:44 am Is it only me that’s been eying up the acrylic at super market,
Nope, not just you Paul. The Tesco store I use has just added new screens at the self service checkouts so they can open them all up again; the screens are acrylic, about 1.8m tall and 0.6m wide and because of the dimensions, quite a substantial thickness, perhaps 15mm. Open baffle size!
Paul Barker

#10 Re: Horn Speaker Cabinets on EBay

Post by Paul Barker »

Phwaar
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11 Re: Horn Speaker Cabinets on EBay

Post by IslandPink »

15mm is useful, anything less than that, not so much.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Paul Barker

#12 Re: Horn Speaker Cabinets on EBay

Post by Paul Barker »

Can’t you laminate it? Or space two sheets then fill gap with sandpit sand?