Post by Ali Tait »

Thought these may be of interest to someone-

https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthr ... rive-units
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: PHY

Post by IslandPink »

Ooh, ooh.
Will check the specs. 16 is OK, - currently have that.
James, have you heard any of these ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
JamesD
Old Hand

#3 Re: PHY

Post by JamesD »

Yes, I have and they have a nice mid bass to 7-9KHz ish but fall away after that - or at least the model I heard did - this was over 20 years ago now - crikey how time flies... to me they were a little vintage sounding so a little light on detail and extension but lovely tone...

The AERs beat them hands down to my ears but people who love them would not have anything else...

They also seemed expensive for what they did whereas the AERs seemed expensive but sounded better than anything else...

Of a similar ilk were the Fertins and I preferred then over the Phys...

Hope that helps but it probably doesn't!

ciao

James
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: PHY

Post by IslandPink »

Thanks James, much appreciated.
Having looked at the specs, I think if the Qts is correct at around 0.6 (bass extension seems to support this ) then they will not be sensitive enough. There's no way an 8" driver with 0.6 Q is going to be more than about 93dB/w. I think Troels Gravensen tested some PHY's a few years ago and took apart their datasheet claims.

Probably still looking like the Lii Audio ones are the best bet to replace AER , from what Nick and Ray have reported, they should be at least 95db/w in the mid band.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
JamesD
Old Hand

#5 Re: PHY

Post by JamesD »

Yeah I think that is probably the right decision - can't wait to hear how people get on with the Lii Audio drivers...

I've order a pair of Sonido SWR 145 to see how they sound as their big brother is a contender for the Quasars and I need something smaller and quick.

But I think I will end up having the AER drivers refurbished but probably not for another year or so.

ciao

James