FS WAD 300b with mods

Caveat emptor, Caveat venditor
adrian
User

#1 FS WAD 300b with mods

Post by adrian »

Dear all
I am selling a very well spec'd WAD 300b. It's had a good deal of loving care lavished on it by me and the 2 previous owners. Here's the story, or as much of it as I know:

This is the original 300b push-pull power amplifier, offered by WAD as a kit ... the one with inter-stage transformers ... and written about in HiFi World here:
http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/index.ph...html?showall=1

This amplifier has two switchable modes, with and without feedback ... the latter providing the best sound imo.

The original owner had it professionally restored to a high standard. It is offered with a good set of Electro Harmonix valves, together with relatively new 5687 and 6072 input/drivers. The amplifier is currently set-up for 8 ohm speakers, but also has 4 ohm taps on the output transformers (reconfigurable).

It has recently had work done on it by David Counter who does some amazing things with all sorts of gear - see his website here: https://adaudioconsultants.wordpress.com/

Work done by David includes:
* set to correct operating point / dissipation for 300b valves of 24Watts/valve ... not stressed / no hotspots (previously set at 32 W, design norm is 28W)
* 11dB input attenuators fitted (Audio Note tantalums) to work better with active preamps (and also passives)
* replacement of old capacitors, incl. Mundorf ZNs coupling and Elna Silmics on cathode bypass
* hum reduction via: re-configuration of earthing arrangements; fitted DC supply on input/driver valves; shielded wire on input and feedback wires; etc.
* noisy humbucker potentiometers replaced
* cracked speaker sockets replaced with silver-plated, heavy-duty Audio Notes

After all that (and more!), David wrote, the amp is now functioning beautifully.

Selling price £1500, incl. delivery / meet up within reasonable distance of North London (sorry, will not ship)
Attachments
P1040062.JPG
P1040058.JPG
P1040055.JPG