So this is where you have all been hiding!

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#1 So this is where you have all been hiding!

Post by Toppsy »

Hi all,

my first posting on this forum.
I'd been wondering why some of you guys have been absent from the WD forum so now I know.

Though I cannot post pics as yet I have been busy building the 300b/gm70 SET monobloc amps, the design of which is by mine host Nick. Hopefully Nick will post the link to the photo gallery for me when I send him the files tomorrow (Tuesday).

This amp was developed to drive my Acorn ESL's that really do need some umph to kick into life. This amp certainly does that.

Those who attended the last Owsfest on the Saturday will have heard Nicks breadboarded prototype amp fed into my Acorns.

Basically it is Nicks 300b amp feeding the gm70 through a 1:1 interstage TX, but using a pentode driver stage to the 300b as opposed to the akido that Nick prefers. The subtley of the akido was lost with the gm70 output tube and I had all the parts for the pentode driver stage anyway so thats how the fnal design ended.

This amp surely meets the BOATANCHOR specification with each monobloc weighing around 80 lbs!

To date the build has been a labour of love as there are over 200 holes in each of the copper top plate and 4mm thick nylon under plate! All components and valve bases are mounted on sheet nylon with just the TX's mounted on the 14 gauge copper top plate with a 4mm gap between the two. The copper plate will be chromed to contrast to the matt black potted TX's. Chassis is made from Maple hardwood.

As I say pics to follow.

Bye for now.

Colin (Toppsy) :wink:
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Hello Colin, welcome. Your amp will look superb, I am sure. I loved the little cardboard boxes. Now let's hear the fnished artickkle!!! :D
Last edited by andrew Ivimey on Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
david C
Old Hand

#3 Re: So this is where you have all been hiding!

Post by david C »

Toppsy wrote:Hi all,

my first posting on this forum.
I'd been wondering why some of you guys have been absent from the WD forum so now I know.

I know how you feel Colin, they took a bit of finding :)

it's my first post as well,

David
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Hi Colin
Welcome to the mellow forum.

Steve
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Welcome Colin and David. The water's lovely here!

Looking forward to the photos Colin. The GM70 isn't my cup of tea (97db speakers :wink:) but they're an interesting amp and your build quality is superb. Fair play to you for pursuing such a beast of an amp.

Simon.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Hi Colin,

Yes, welcome. Even I can stay cool here! :D

Best wishes,

Greg
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

'an me too.....

Welcome Colin...
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Hi all,

from what I've read of the postings to date it certainly appears more relaxed here than 'tother place. No bickering, what a relief.

I have emailed the pics to Nick so he should be able to post them soon.

Colin
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

It's nice here innit :D

I like the other one too though aswell, I'm just a bit 'soft' :oops: I can't do heated up :wink:

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Hi Colin
Welcome
Yep Much smoother on here a good thing i think 8)
Last edited by colin.hepburn on Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Hi Colin/All,
Yes welcome.It's far more mellow 'ere 8)
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Well I'm afraid that I don't have the time to allocate to every website, I've rationed myself to where it's friendly.

Actually of all the great surprises the Napit (national association of professional inspectors and testers) forum to join which you must be Napit registered is really cruel. I've not bothered talking there as a result. They'll never know what superb intellect they are missing they.

The ARGI (association of registerd gas fitters) forum is a much better club, where we all support each other. I would never have expected electricians to be so at each others throats gas fitters are all pally.

Now when I was a nurse, now that was a dangerous profession, you are far more likely to be assassinated by a fellow nurse.

When you have had a stress style breakdown you don't stay with groups of people that are destructive..
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

It's all that electrickery flying around Paul.Plays havoc with the neurons...
Ian
User

Post by Ian »

Paul Barker wrote:
Now when I was a nurse, now that was a dangerous profession, you are far more likely to be assassinated by a fellow nurse.

When you have had a stress style breakdown you don't stay with groups of people that are destructive..
agreed, that was my xp in the nhs too, strange, I think its something to do with morale, too. you would think 'caring' types would be above that, but they ain't, far from it. VERY 'scrutinized', and its not just women, they are prone to it, as they do watch and gossip all the time, but its men, too.
Last edited by Ian on Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Yes well it was really bad at Scarborough Childrens ward, it had a well deserved reputation for it.

The only other male nurse when I arrived said to me in break one time, "it's not as if there is anything worth bickering over, they are like flies fighting over a pile of sh1t".

sadly he died and left only me, they got rid of me in the end.

It's absolutely marvelous to work in a male profession again, where when you upset someone (lets face it, happens all the time) he just punches you. at least it's all out in the open.