Hi peeps

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
Jez
User

#1 Hi peeps

Post by Jez »

It's just me, Jez (Arkless Electronics). I didn't know you had a forum Nick!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: Hi peeps

Post by pre65 »

Jez wrote:It's just me, Jez (Arkless Electronics). I didn't know you had a forum Nick!
He certainly does, and a very interesting and friendly place it is. :)

Welcome.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#3 Re: Hi peeps

Post by Ali Tait »

Hi Jez, nice to see you here. :)
Nick
Site Admin

#4 Re: Hi peeps

Post by Nick »

Jez wrote:It's just me, Jez (Arkless Electronics). I didn't know you had a forum Nick!
Yep, there is a good few years of history here. Started after problems with the World Designs forum.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Jez
User

#5 Re: Hi peeps

Post by Jez »

I didn't know you had a forum until I saw the email address in the joining email.... I guess there's a conflict of interests here as we're both amp makers..
Nick
Site Admin

#6 Re: Hi peeps

Post by Nick »

Jez wrote:I didn't know you had a forum until I saw the email address in the joining email.... I guess there's a conflict of interests here as we're both amp makers..
I don''t see why, there are loads of folk on here who build amps and all sorts of stuff.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Jez
User

#7 Re: Hi peeps

Post by Jez »

So you don't have a problem with me telling people about new products etc of mine which may be rivals for your own?
Greg
Social outcast

#8 Re: Hi peeps

Post by Greg »

Jez wrote:So you don't have a problem with me telling people about new products etc of mine which may be rivals for your own?
Jez, your seriously having a larf here. Clearly you have not explored the forum which I suggest you do pronto before you contribute further. Otherwise, you'll embarrass yourself and just let yourself down. Remember, not everyone is into a commercial enterprise and many here do it all for themselves and share accordingly. Nothing commercial at all. As for rivalling Nick's products, these days, he doesn't readily publish what he does, but to be sure, what he does do is remarkable and to consider yourself as a competitor is in my view, a little naïve. Please check the forum out before you contribute further. This place is nothing like the other places you frequent. Learn and relish the difference and realise the competence of many here who simply still do it all just as a hobby. A bit old fashioned, I know, but that's how we like it :D
Jez
User

#9 Re: Hi peeps

Post by Jez »

I find that insulting in the extreme and whilst I don't know who the fuck you are you can consider yourself on my ignore list from day one pal. I very much consider myself a rival to Nick and also to the likes of Nelson Pass and Tim de Paravicini. Commercial success/fame and ability are VERY different things.
shane
Social outcast

#10 Re: Hi peeps

Post by shane »

Steady on, chaps! Jez, you're more than welcome, but you won't get the best out of it charging in with all guns blazing. All Greg's saying really is that most members here aren't all that interested in the latest commercial product, since most (I don't include myself here) think they can do better themselves. Any of us who are interested are also members of AoS and so on, so your business weill already be known too them.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Nick
Site Admin

#11 Re: Hi peeps

Post by Nick »

Jez wrote:So you don't have a problem with me telling people about new products etc of mine which may be rivals for your own?
Help yourself, I doubt (as Greg has said, with a bit of flag waving, thanks Greg) you will find many takers here that are not already on Aos. Thats not a comment on what you are making, just the fact that most here are into DIY. Something like Andrews DHT heater board gets made and sold to cover cost and I did a startup board years ago, but thats nowhere like selling a finished product.

No rules here (other I am in charge, and do nothing), but consider in mind that many here have known each other for over 10 years, so while there isn’t a clique as such, there is a lot of shared understanding that may not be obvious at first. We have all been getting together in real life at weekends to play with audio kit, way before other places invented the idea :-)
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#12 Re: Hi peeps

Post by jack »

Crikey!

I'm newish here - not much commercial stuff on the forum I guess for several reasons, mainly that its essentially a diy-focussed group. That and not many have "commercial funds", and even if they did, they probably would rather build it themselves...

It's 95% DIY audio... and a bit of a laugh :) Nothing too serious...

Oh, by the way. There are a lot of folk here with deep and genuine technical knowledge, maybe with an EE degree, maybe not (who cares anyway), but we're all here to learn and to enjoy the music...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13 Re: Hi peeps

Post by pre65 »

Jez wrote:I find that insulting in the extreme and whilst I don't know who the fuck you are you can consider yourself on my ignore list from day one pal. I very much consider myself a rival to Nick and also to the likes of Nelson Pass and Tim de Paravicini. Commercial success/fame and ability are VERY different things.
Well, I've never heard of you. :)

Just checked my copy of "best audio designers of 21st century" and you are not mentioned there, perhaps you could enlighten me (and others of course) how you are a rival to the great names you mention ? :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#14 Re: Hi peeps

Post by Nick »

The truly talented analogue people aren’t working in audio any more anyway, so its a silly comparison anyway.
Jez
User

#15 Re: Hi peeps

Post by Jez »

pre65 wrote:
Jez wrote:I find that insulting in the extreme and whilst I don't know who the fuck you are you can consider yourself on my ignore list from day one pal. I very much consider myself a rival to Nick and also to the likes of Nelson Pass and Tim de Paravicini. Commercial success/fame and ability are VERY different things.
Well, I've never heard of you. :)

Just checked my copy of "best audio designers of 21st century" and you are not mentioned there, perhaps you could enlighten me (and others of course) how you are a rival to the great names you mention ? :lol:

Well for a start "The Alchemist" preamp was a joint effort between myself and TDP.... There was a time when audio designers who knew their stuff were thin on the ground and so a few names became well known. It doesn't mean they are necessarily any better than the likes of myself, Nick and many others in the field who work behind the scenes in the design of audio equipment.

Nick, I sent you a PM but it says it's still in the outbox... It was to say that as it's been pointed out that this is a DIY site and there are no potential customers here you may as well unregister me from here.