Hello from Runcorn

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
Waves73
User

#1 Hello from Runcorn

Post by Waves73 »

Hi all,
Being new to DIY speakers I've chosen to start by building an enclosure based on the Pensil design. At the moment I'm looking at using either the Mark Audio CHP70 Gen 2 driver or the Fostex FE103 EN. Being primarily used with an AV amp and TV set up, I know the CHP70's aren't really designed for this but am interested in anyone's feedback and experience with these drivers.

Would love to hear where people purchase drivers from. It looks like they are thin on the ground in the UK so considering the Madisound website.

Regards, Mark
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

Welcome to Audio-Talk Mark.
Not so many of us from this part of the country.
Much to learn there is.
Bizzie
Old Hand

Post by Bizzie »

Hi Mark welcome to Audio talk
I bought my Alpair 7's from blue planet when they were on offer, they took about 4 days to arrive and they have the CHP70's on offer at the moment but they may be the old model rather than the new mark3.

http://oaudio.de/Loudspeaker-chassis/Ma ... 7_165.html

Alec
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Welcome to the forum.

The Blue Planet offerings are the originals NOT the latest version.

However, from what I have read you may prefer the originals. Mark has tweeked ther new ones so they have a better midrange at the expence of both frequency extremes. That's why he also offer a bass unit CHP70 as well.

Mark,
I have a pair the CHP70 originals still unused and DaveD from Planet10 is shipping out a stock pair the new generation drivers for me to compare.

If you like bass then the MA does this better than the Fostex you are considering. The little Fostex takes a lot and I mean a LOT of thrashing to get it to sound good. Not so with the MA. However, they are quite different sounding drivers. So you need to let your ears do the talking, don't be swayed by folks preference to one or the other.

You are welcome to pop over to my place for a listen to an original pair of CHP70 is the FH3 speakers, and we can swap these out for the new gen ones if they have arrived. Also same speakers but with Alpair7.2. I also have a pair dMar-Ken7.3 small bookshelves which I have built for Ali and will be taking these to Owston.

Send me a PM if you're interested. I won't have room in my car for the FH3 speakers to take them to Owston.
Waves73
User

Post by Waves73 »

Hi Colin,

thanks for the great advice, it's been a big help. I'm still debating exactly which drivers to opt for but I think coming over and listening to your system would be a great help. How long will you have the CHP70 Gen 2's for? I'd love to hear how they compare.

If you let me know when you have them we'll try and arrange a time to come over. Work and family take up much of my time but I'm sure we can arrange something.

Hope to see you soon,
Mark
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Mark,

I'll have the new CHP70's for as long as I want / need them. So timesacle is not an issue. I just need to sort out payment with DaveD in Canada for them.

I won't have the dMar-Ken7.3 (with Alpair 7.3) for long though. These are going to their new owners the Owston weekend.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Greetings to Waves73 Image

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."