Klassicool Moosik...

Share the music that moves you.......
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Klassicool Moosik...

Post by Dave the bass »

...like what posh bints listen to :)

After a recent conversation elsewhere Shane very kindly offered to burn off some well-known Classic 'ditties' for me seeing as I'm a complete knuckle-dragger in this field. 3 CD's promptly fell through the letterbox a few days later and since then I've been absorbing them, in return it was agreed that I'm to post a report as I listen and learn so it's Shane you've got to blame for this thread :wink: :lol:

I'm gonna do this in stages 'cos there's a lot of music to take in, not only that there's a lot of folk playing a lot of that music and my small brwayne can only take in a small amount of info at a time.

Disc One.

Beethoven - Piano Concerto number 5 - Goes on a bit don't it! On first listening I couldn't concentrate on what was going on, there's just such a lot in each movement (I think thats what it's called) but after a week or so I found I was picking up on phrases and recognised much of it. I'll call this a 'grower' for now.

Vaughan Williams - The Lark Ascending - %$£&ing brilliant :D I love this bit of music. It's got direction and I can follow it easilly, I like the way the violin goes soooooooooooo high you think the chappie is gonna blow up (or at least start emmitting some RF) but then down it comes all swoopy and the like. I had it blearing out in the workshop this morning and one of the guys from the lab was suprised, I explained how I was learning and had started listening to some Classical music and just now he came back down with a CDr of Vaughan Williams 'Tallis Fantasia' which he reckons is good too. He reckoned Shanes put some good stuff on those CD's he's sent me too, cheers matey!

Barber - Addagio - Aww this is good stuff too, I recognised parts of this, dunno why (EDIT- It may have been from believe it or not a late 80/early90's Rave track, not too sure). Really powerful stuff as Shane commented in his listening notes. Again on this there's a bit where just the Violins go REALLY high and then aaaahhhh ....'release'.

Rossini - Barber of Seville - Oooo! I know this one, or at least a bit of it. It makes me giggle and want to be all italian-ish!

Here endeth the first Disc. More later.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
shane
Social outcast

#3 Re: Klassicool Moosik...

Post by shane »

Dave the bass wrote: Barber - Addagio - Aww this is good stuff too, I recognised parts of this, dunno why (EDIT- It may have been from believe it or not a late 80/early90's Rave track, not too sure).
There was a version of this by a fellow with the unlikely name of William Orbit that gained a certain notoriety amongst the youngsters a while ago. All done with synthesisers and what-not. Couldn't get on with it meself, what...

The Beethoven is a grower, but by God it grows and grows.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Bill Orbit, thats the fella. I knew I'd heard it before, ta Gents. EDIT, Oooh its him what did Madonnas Ray of Light LP. 1999 that 'Big Fish Little Fish Cardboard Box' version was out and the brain cells tell me it was my step-son who bought that on CD single, bless.

Shane, yeah Beet's No5 agreed, deffo a growing-grower. Had it on again this afternoon before being rudely interupted by work.

DTB
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Just realised we've hardly had a word from you for two weeks, either here or in the other place. This stuff must be getting to you...

:P
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

shane wrote:Just realised we've hardly had a word from you for two weeks, either here or in the other place. This stuff must be getting to you...

:P
Pssstt...The suns out.....and that mean's......

Whayhay :lol:

I'm deffo a foul weather DIY-HiFi-er (new word!), come summer I resort back to being even more childish than normal and spend hours with my little playmates out on our wheeliewonderboards :D

It's nice comming back home after a day or evenings skate and soaking up some nice sounds through a nice system.

Nice to know I'm missed though!!!

DTB
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

wot's that? Looks like my Mum's old foot-spa!
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

shane wrote:wot's that? Looks like my Mum's old foot-spa!
Opening of the foot-spa.....

And how the foot spa was made....

:D

AKA as Julie calls it 'my second home'!

DTB
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

The Barber thingie was also used in the film Platoon :)
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

I knew what it was, i just didn't know it looked like a foot-spa. Didn't know you'd got into the movies either!

Actually, I've always thought it was an amazing effort. More power to your elbow...
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Hi Dave,

Glad you're getting into it. Remember many popular classics have been well used by the advertising industry so frequently when you recognise a toon, it maybe because of an ad you've seen on TV or at the flics.

Best wishes,

Greg
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Ahhh, good point about films and adverts. I haven't seen many films but adverts on TV yes, maybe thats where I've heard some of it before.

I remember an advert for Wool years ago that had a nice bit of 'dem classkools' in, sounded like plucked Cello's or summat .

Really enjoying those CD's, thanks Shane although I've found that Classical can lead to 'marital dis-harmony'... I was listening to Disc 1 again last night when JTS came downstairs and said "Wots this then?"..... "Rossini" I replied....she then went into a tirade about how a Rossini sounds like a cheap red wine and like that bit of music it could problee give 'er a flippin' migraine :lol: :lol: Looks like I've got my work cut out there. I played her the 'Lark' and she said she found 'them screechy violins offensive!!!'....Hmmmm, she dissin' my HiFi or the music?

War!

DTB
Mo
Old Hand

Post by Mo »

Excellent thread, I was actually thinking of starting a thread about getting into classical muisc, upto now i've not had much success with it.

The kind of classical music I like is greensleaves :oops:

The other one is the old spice advert, is that called carmen barrina(spl?)

Anything else worth trying out along similar lines?
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Hi Mo,

Carmina Burana composed by Carl Orff, first performed in 1937 was based on discovered manuscripts from the 12th and 13th century, the content of which bulked against the then established attitudes in the Medieval world. Well worth exploring. Lots of good stuff on it regardless of the Old Spice bit. Overall ethos is Eat, drink (have sex) and be merry, for tomorrow we die. It's very Epicurian but a really good listen with some great extentions in the sound to excite. If you're a die hard rocker, this should be an excellent intro to classical.

Best wishes,

Greg
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Thinking on what is good as an intro to classical there is so much choice. Directing my thought to those of you who have grown up only with modern music, particularly rock, pop etc, I've put together a very basic list of stuff you can try which I think will excite, not bore you and develop your ear. This is fundamental stuff but many classical lovers have built on this kind of foundation. It's not an exclusive list. Just a few ideas.

Tchaikovsky. (This guy had an unhappy life and wore his heart on his sleeve. It's very easy to connect with his sound. Alot of power and delivery but with experience can be a bit shallow. Not to be missed however and great introduction pieces.
1812 Overture, Marche Slave, Romeo and Juliet Overture, Capriccio Italien, Symphonies 4,5 and 6. 5 is probably the favourite. Piano Concerto No 1. Overtures for Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty and after a bit of time the full Nutcracker Suite. This is off the top of my head so there may well be more.

Beethoven. Symphonies 5, 8 and 9. 5 is well known and 9 will be well recognised if you've ever been into Clockwork Orange. Wellington's Victory (Battle for Vitoria). Moonlight (Piano) Sonata.

Vivaldi. Four Seasons.

Edvard Grieg. Peer Gynt Suites 1 & 2.

JS Bach. Toccata & Fugue in D Minor. Sheep May Safely Graze.

Dvorak. Symphony 9 (New World).

Smetana. Ma Vlast.

Faure. Requiem.

Handel. Music from the Royal Fireworks. Water Music. Messiah, particularly Hallelujah Chorus.

Hayden. Toy Symphony. Trumpet concerto in E flat.

Khachaturian. Suites Gayaneh, Masquerade, Sparticus.

Ippolitov-Ivanov. Caucasian Scetches.

Elgar. Inigma Variations.

Holst. Planet Suite.

Mussorsgsky. Pictures at an Exhibition (go for the Revel orchostrated version). Night on the Bald Mountain.

I could go on and on. What I've listed is easy to listen to, quick for melody memory and mostly has a bit of spunk to the sound. I've avoided anything even slightly interlectual as in honesty, just getting into it all is the main thing. You may grow to love it and if you progress and move on, fall out of love. However this stuff is true classical and without doubt can raise the hairs on the back of your neck, and also reduce you to tears as you listen.

I hope this snapshop is helpful.

Best wishes,

Greg