What Are You Listening To Right This Minute?

Share the music that moves you.......
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Dave the bass wrote:The opposite also applies I reckon Ali, I think in someways knowing how the sounds are made and put together ruins some of the magic and mystery of music.
Yes indeed! :D

It would be nice to know both sides of the coin..
PeteC
Old Hand

Post by PeteC »

Paddy McAloon latest offering is fab....

Check out "The Best Jewel Thief in the World"

A really great musician and songwriter.

Cheers
Pete
Life is two shirts
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

The concept '...enjoyed by those playing the stuff but prob. not best for the listener ...' sort of thing I first thought about donkey's years ago when my local pub was The Plough in Stockwell Rd, Brixton where, several nights a week it was Jahhhhzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Friday nights in those days I was always involved in putting out the old SPL further south in Tooting - we were good enough only to have a regular spot at The Castle but I still blush at the nonsense we played. In a different band out in West Kensington we backed Paz on a Sunday nights and that was good all round serious, clever and witty entertainment for all.

I used to go to the Plough a lot though and blimey, some of it was excrutiating! And yep, to play that stuff would have been fun but to load it on an audience was morally wrong.

Another thought I had at the time too was that heavy metal was almost all blokes air guitaring it - just like with Jahhhhhzzzzzz where there were lovely looking young women in the audience, appearing to put up with all that sh1te while really preferring & happy with a night in with a bottle of liebfraumilch and (whatever was the contemporary equivalent of) Lady in Red.

Now, when Punk got going there were always more girls and young women getting out front but I didn't like being in the audience or on stage simply because of the gobbing and general stupid behaviour. But at least the women were active. Back stage, in those days what with the friends I used to hang around with, I met quite a few of the bigger names including Suzie, it wasn't that I preferred Genesis, I didn't, but I was over 30!!!!!! - oh the horror.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

crikey - you weren't part of the Bromley contingent, were you Andrew :?:
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

If ever a band defined the term whimsical, that band was The Blue Nile.

The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Nice Monday morning Gliss.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

RIP Andy Fraser, you swung and grooved like a good 'un and I luvvvvvv your playing on this.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

So sad today. Free was the first band I ever saw live. Imagine the impact of a band like that in a venue not much bigger than an average village hall, on a shy 17 year old who was previously into Simon and Garfunkel and had no experience of rock. I was taken by a bunch of mates and had no idea what to expect, and finished the evening sitting on the edge of the stage with my back leaning against a bass stack that seemed enormous. Definitely the most significant musical moment of my life. RIP Andy, and thanks for all of it.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Just realised that was 45 years ago this Satursay. Jesus wept...

Enjoyed Free, so went to see Edgar Broughton and Black Sabbath as well. You could call that month a bit of an awakening.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

^^^ Bluddy Blimey^^^^ Look at that line up of Gigs. I was born at the wrong time perhaps!

Clark Hutchinson. "Free to Be Stoned". FloppyBootStomp used to play that when he was DJing at gigs.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Dave the bass wrote: I was born at the wrong time perhaps!
Maybe Dave, but the downside is you might have ended up the same age as me. :wink: :lol: :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Yup! Because I liked Free, I went to the Edgar Broughtron and Black Sabbath concerts as well. Some month, that was.

The vandike was an amazing place. An ex church hall tucked away in the arse-end of Devonport with a bar at one end and a tiny stage at the other, the list of bands that played there was simply astonishing. Take a browse through this lot: http://www.thepippin.plus.com/Van%20Dike%20handbills/

What saddens me now are the bands I just missed before my first visit (Zeppelin, Floyd and Yes amongst others), and the ones I didn't see because I hadn't heard of them (Caravan, Supertramp, Soft Machine).
But I did get to see the Groundhogs. Six times...

Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

pre65 wrote:
Maybe Dave, but the downside is you might have ended up the same age as me. :wink: :lol: :lol:
Nobody is as old as you Popz!

....not even you...oh...hang on!
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Feeling a bit spring-like and frolicksome this morning.

slowmotion
Old Hand

Post by slowmotion »

So, just home from work, opened a bottle of IPA, fired up the system, and first record today is this one:

Life isn't so bad!
- Jan -