GONG!!!!!!!

Share the music that moves you.......
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

IslandPink wrote:That Soft Machine track is truly excellent .
It also makes me sad, when you look at the (lonely) thread I launched the other day :
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4755

:(

It's also a shame how hard it is to find a copy of Soft Machine 1 on Vinyl .
Yep, I only have it in the reissue of 1 + 2 in a gatefold sleeve.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Hey hey !!
Can't believe my luck .
After going to the picture framing shop in Rhyl, I dropped in briefly to 'Neptunes' record shop at the West end of town .
The guy original copies of Soft Machine 1 and 2 , both in decent condition, covers a bit worn, but Vinyl in lightly-played state. :D
Apparently Soft Machine 1 was only ever a US issue ( on Probe ) but the second one was a UK issue .

He also told me one of those great 'fisherman's tales' the record collectors have, about how last year he took three bags of apparently uninteresting stuff of a guy who was badgering him to give him an offer - for £15 total - then later found a copy of 'Swaddling Songs' by Mellow Candle in there . It's one of the great prog/folk rarities, on Deram. He sold it for E1800 on Ebay to a guy in Italy .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

I've had two copies of Soft 1 over the years. The first one had the fully illustrated front cover with holes and rotating insert and a picture of a naked lady from behind on the back. The second has a blank green circle on the front with the same naked lady on the back, but she has a bikini strap printed rather crudely and out of alignment on her back. I always understood that that was the American market version, but stand to be corrected. The second one is on Probe. Can't remember what label the first one was, I sold it in 1974..
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

So, imagine... I have all the GONG!!!! albums and I have really only ever listened to one of them I was briefly familiar with over 40 years ago.

And ....

I have Soft machine 1, 2, aND ..... 4

What happened to '3' - dunno.

But imagine the joy and tinnitus tickling fabulousness of being able to hear such examples of the turpsicorean muse.

PPPPPPPPPPPPHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAARRRRR

Its not everyday that one loses one's virginity, so to speak.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Aha, yes, I'd seen the more interesting cover on the CD and EBay . Mine is the rather blank one - must have been some odd story to account for them putting out such a dull cover - perhaps it was too expensive in its original form . I think both options are US ( mine is ) , there is no UK issue listed in the book .

Even though I'm talking about Soft machine, I like to think I'm doing it in a 'Gong' sort of way, in the spirit of Gong, if anyone is concerned .
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Soft Machine 3 is a lot more common I think . I bought a copy ages ago and have seen several since . It's a double, and has some very long tracks that stretch my patience too far , to be honest . One and Two are more pop-y . I'm not sure Robert Wyatt was still there by No.3 .
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

IslandPink wrote: Even though I'm talking about Soft machine, I like to think I'm doing it in a 'Gong' sort of way, in the spirit of Gong, if anyone is concerned .
Its Ok .... <reassuringly pats back of Marks hand> You're with friends now! :) WE understand. Special musics.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

You'll be my friends ? - not like the others ?
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

"special"..... :lol:

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Robert Wyatt was still there for third. With the wonderful (IMHO) Moon In June
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Yeh, you're right there Nick . Just listened to 'The Moon in June' and 'Out-bloody-rageous' . Tomorrow for the other two sides. My system has obviously got a lot better since I last played that album . Some lovely work there , the end of the Moon in June is great . The Mike Rateldge track also sounds very reminiscent of Steve Hillage towards the end, which brings us back somehow to Gong ! ... :D
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

we are not like the others ...
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

The kid nodded eagerly as we roared off.

"We're your friends," said my attorney. "We're not like the others."

O Christ, I thought, he's gone around the bend. "No more of that talk," I said sharply. "Or I'll put the leeches on you."
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

IslandPink wrote:The kid nodded eagerly as we roared off.

"We're your friends," said my attorney. "We're not like the others."

O Christ, I thought, he's gone around the bend. "No more of that talk," I said sharply. "Or I'll put the leeches on you."
Just reading

Kingdom of Fear: Loathsome Secrets of a Star-Crossed Child in the Final Days of the American Century
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

That sounds very recent . I should check it out . There was a great deal of interest in all of his books . I enjoyed Fear and Loathing on the Campaign trail , the one about 1972 election . The story about how he started this bogus rumour that Ed Muskie was taking this 'Ibogane' drug to keep him going while campaigning for the Democrat nomination - that was hilarious .
His observations about Nixon are all very relevant again in the light of the documentary that was on Radio 4 at the weekend, about how it's now been proven from declassified interviews ( confirming Charles Wheeler's unpublished research ) that Nixon scuppered peace talks and a cease-fire in the Vietnam war, in the run-up to the 1968 election . Apparently Johnson's success at getting this arranged was threatening Nixon's campaign thrust which was to bring the Vietnam war to an end where the Democrats had failed .

Going back to H.T. - 'The Rum Diaries' - the novel he started way back in the early 60's - that he finished about 5 years ago - was excellent too . Mainly autobiographical .