New Beefheart Book.

Share the music that moves you.......
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

floppybootstomp wrote: Thanks for the heads up DTB :thumbup:
S'pleasure.

It's all your bloody fault anyway, it was you that introduced me to The Capt' 20+ years ago :lol:

Ta for heads up yerself!

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
stevieg
mardy old git

Post by stevieg »

Got this with my Xmas book tokens. The format is interesting, John French's links to the interviews of old gadgers trying to work out what the f--- happened there... I can appreciate this as an old gadger myself. Drumbo seems heroically fair minded. Mind you, I'm only up to Strictly Personal.

The enormity of the the book is also giving my recently signed off from the hospital busted arm a workout too.
In single malt we trust.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

stevieg wrote:Got this with my Xmas book tokens. The format is interesting, John French's links to the interviews of old gadgers trying to work out what the f--- happened there... I can appreciate this as an old gadger myself. Drumbo seems heroically fair minded. Mind you, I'm only up to Strictly Personal.

The enormity of the the book is also giving my recently signed off from the hospital busted arm a workout too.
I'm up to the '75 tour with Denny Whalley And Elliot Ingber.

In between the Strictly personal section you're reading at the moment and where I'm up to Drumbo, gets beaten up a fair bit by the band, then by Don, then works out he's been sacked by being thrown down the stairs at the Trout house, then spends time away from the MB acting.... then he comes back again!

At times its awful reading, i keep thinking why didn't he just leave the band if conditions were that bad? Drumbo says he often asked himself the same question but no-one was doing music like it at the time (ever since?) and thats what held him and others there.

Its still the most in-depth account I've ever come across on CB + TMB.

Hope you enjoy it.

DTB
ed
retired

Post by ed »

yo the bass

Just caught up with this, thanks for the nod. Been otherwise occupied of late. Will go out and get it pronto.......I have the biography by Mike Barnes which IIRC is a ripping yarn in itself, and of course Lunar Notes. ....sassenfrassencursin harkleroad, still owes me $20(edit: or the us mail service)...cussenfrassensussen musos, what are they like!!!

later
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Wotcha Ed Basso.

Yeah, Mike Barnes book is referenced a few times in Drumbo's account. Until this was written I reckon Mr Barnes book was the best, thats all changed with this recent release.

Mike's book is deffo from the fans/musicologists viewpoint, Drumbo's is a proper warts n all type affair. Harrowing at times, jubilation at others.

Awethumn!

DTB
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

This book arrived last Tuesday - yay! Thirteen quid from Amazon wiv free postage.

It ain't half thick Mum, and tiny print too, looks like being a long read.

I will start it as soon as I have finished Julian May's Perseus Spur and Glastonbury :An Oral History of the festival.

I was rabbiting on the dog t'other day with the skateboarding kid and we got to talking about Don, as we often do.

I remarked at one point that even after all these years there are still times when listening to parts of Trout mask Replica where it can make me feel uncomfortable. And I bought the album more or less when it was released.

After the conversation had finished I wondered to myself where the line is between admiration and apreciation.

Too deep for a Sunday afternoon eh? :toothy6:
Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

It's a good read.

I'm just finishing it off by listening to each and every CB + TMB track on every LP/CD after reading Drumbo's notes on the track in question. There's a lot of things I hadn't picked up on before.

Brill.

DTB
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

floppybootstomp wrote:I will start it as soon as I have finished Julian May's Perseus Spur
A-ha!! I've got that. Hope you know that's book 1 of a trilogy? As I found out.....

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

Mike H wrote:
floppybootstomp wrote:I will start it as soon as I have finished Julian May's Perseus Spur
A-ha!! I've got that. Hope you know that's book 1 of a trilogy? As I found out.....

Oi do, oi do, oi do.... I have the other two, have had them some time now but had read the first one from the library many moons ago.

Joined some online bookswap thingie called readitswapit and managed to swap books to get Perseus Spur. It's hardback too.

I have all of Julian May's books except the two Trillium ones. I like that stuff :D
Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Yet to have a go at the Trillium ones eck-tually, thanks for the reminder :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#26 Re: New Beefheart Book.

Post by IslandPink »

Mmm... interesting ... just started watching :
Disc_Beef.PNG
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#27 Re: New Beefheart Book.

Post by IslandPink »

Why do I feel like this guy is the wind beneath my wings ?

"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#28 Re: New Beefheart Book.

Post by Dave the bass »

Nice find Mark.

Very nicely presented and analysed. The fella's done a good job on breaking it down into parts so you can see as well as hear what's going on.

I usually go "meh" when clever folk try to analyse amazing music but I think he genuinely loves the music too.

11.37 "....its clear that the author has a certain degree of ego...."

No shit Sherlock! :)
ed
retired

#29 Re: New Beefheart Book.

Post by ed »

I just love the way he pronounces 'complex'.....
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#30 Re: New Beefheart Book.

Post by The Stratmangler »

ed wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:16 am I just love the way he pronounces 'complex'.....
Canadian - he says "aboot" several times.
Chris :happy3: