Ok, anyone have any ideas?

For anything about cans, and the amplifiers that drive them
Nick
Site Admin

Ok, anyone have any ideas?

Post by Nick » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:57 pm

I am looking to get a new pair of headphones for work (since the cleaners killed the freebies I got from subscribing to HFW). They need to be closed back (as oddly enough not everyone likes my choice of music). I am going to use the Berisford DAC as their source until I can try a build something, from a cheap sound card with digital out.

My current thinking is the Denon AH-D1001, anyone have any other views, or suggestions?

I did give my local HiFi shop a chance yesterday and went and asked them what headphones they stocked, and after discounting things made by Bose, the answer was none.
Resistance isn't futile it's V / I.

colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:18 pm

Hi Nick
Well it’s down to price and the sound you preferred but id says the Sennheiser or the Beyerdynamic is your best bet on price and sound start about £30 http://www.headphoneworld.com/c/Full_Si ... phones.htm#
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage

Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:06 am

Nick, if you were happy with the freebie HFW Beyer Dynamic 'phones (AT231?) you're more than welcome to have mine. JTS bought me a pair of HD650's last year for Christmas so mine are doing nowt. PM me your addy again.

I sympathise with the work colleague/music choice scenario.Even though we all play instruments and love music we're divided here..... The boss is a die hard folky with occasional foray's into 'classic rock' which is just about tolerable and the deputy boss actually runs the 'Go West' Fan club and still lives in 1986 I think... I've been subjected to more Go West and 80's pop than is fair :) Neither share my Hawkwind/Gong/CB leanings let-alone my more esoteric choices of dance/funk/jazz/rock/quirk music...... We only all agree on one CD, the best of Tom Petty :lol: All other musics end up with 2 of the members of our workshop liking it and 1 not. Boss and Dep. boss almost came to blows when MJ was mooned by Pulp's Jarvis Cocker all those years ago. I'm keeping my head down... I like both :lol:

DTB
Dirt eating, low-voltage boy but "'Occasionally phenomenal'"

Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:42 am

Nick, if you were happy with the freebie HFW Beyer Dynamic 'phones (AT231?) you're more than welcome to have mine. JTS bought me a pair of HD650's last year for Christmas so mine are doing nowt. PM me your addy again.
Thanks for that Dave. I am a tad torn now, yep, I was happy with them, and the sensible thing to do would be to use the same again, but I think I had the upgrade bug flying around my head. IYKWIM.

Sense will prevale, if you get a chance to send them, thanks muchly, I can use them at least until I get the other bits sorted, which might take us near the time I need to think of what xmas present I need to drop hints over :-)

PM sent.
Resistance isn't futile it's V / I.

Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:54 am

Sorted!

DTB

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:20 am

Dave the bass wrote:Nick,you're more than welcome to have mine. JTS bought me a pair of HD650's last year for Christmas so mine are doing nowt.

DTB
Don't forget to clean the earwax off first ! :shock: :wink: :lol:
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)

Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:35 am

pre65 wrote:
Don't forget to clean the earwax off first ! :shock: :wink: :lol:
Yeuck!

They don't go in yer lug 'oles they go over. These 'phones are super clean!

DTB.