New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

What people are working on at the moment
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#76 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by Paul Barker »

I’m sure you’ll make a good job of it!
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#77 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by Cressy Snr »

Paul Barker wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:19 pm I’m sure you’ll make a good job of it!
Aye, should be a nice little build.

I’ve got the NVA A20 rather than the A60 clone back in the system at the moment. Actually, I’d forgotten what a sweet sounding little power amp it is. Interestingly, when we compared my A20 and Steve’s at his place a couple of years ago, mine had the nicest treble; Steve’s being somewhat arid and bleached in comparison. We didn’t get to the bottom of why.

The clone I built with twin power supplies, is also coarser up top, though a bit more more detailed in the mids. I prefer the sweeter presentation of the A20 into my Fanes at the moment. Given the efficiency of the Fanes, the 60W of the clone is way too much; the less powerful A20 sounding more comfortable with them.

I’ve opened my A20 up and the power transistors in the positive rail are of different manufacture to those in the negative rail. In the clone I have devices from the same manufacturer in both rails. Maybe that’s the answer to the different sound mine had to Steve’s and the clone. I know next to nothing about solid state, so I could be talking nonsense; who knows?

I’ll put some parts orders in for the new amp tomorrow.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
steve s
Shed dweller

#78 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by steve s »

I've noticed differences differences between makes steve, my view the tda2030 has some big differences , whilst the mofo I'm struggling to tell,
I think matching could well be important too depending on the circuit.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
steve s
Shed dweller

#79 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by steve s »

My a20 is now at my Lads driving a pair of ns1000's, he much preferred it to a relatively far more expensive cyrus seperates pre/poweramp/powersupply set up
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#80 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by Cressy Snr »

It’s no good!
I’ve had to put the KT120 amp back in the system. The solid state amp was just not doing it, and had begun seriously to get on my wick! Didn’t take long for that to happen.

I’ve borrowed a set of digital callipers from our Ant and will use these to measure the dimensions of the major iron components, then cut out card shapes to get the layout for the new amp; that way the valves will be out of the system for the absolute minimum amount of time.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#81 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by Cressy Snr »

Using the digital callipers I was able to produce actual size base areas for the iron and was also able to measure the diameters of the valve envelopes I intend to use. It was then pretty straightforward to produce a layout for the new amp.
66775239-A757-48FE-AD75-6D4A27B314BB.jpeg
The KT120 diameters are actually done to KT150 data sheet measurements, in case I ever decide to splash the cash on a pair.
Shaded areas represent the actual thickness of the sides, plus the internal corner fillets, as the top is rebated into the surround to give a half-inch reveal all round.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#82 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by Cressy Snr »

Front end power supply will be shunt regulated with a simple VR tube setup.This will provide the 200V at the anodes of the MH4s after allowing for the drop across the hammond loading chokes.
steve s
Shed dweller

#83 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by steve s »

Cressy Snr wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:22 pm Front end power supply will be shunt regulated with a simple VR tube setup.This will provide the 200V at the anodes of the MH4s after allowing for the drop across the hammond loading chokes.
Those old globe mh4 still take 250 volt,(most amp triodes of that era are 200v)
Running them around 200 will give them any easy time Steve
Ant
Shed dweller

#84 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by Ant »

Remember the is a pot to go in there and it will be somewhere under where one of the mh4s is
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#85 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by Cressy Snr »

Ant wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:48 pm Remember the is a pot to go in there and it will be somewhere under where one of the mh4s is
Yes, it’s gonna be tight.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#86 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by Paul Barker »

Usual excellent finished product well on the way.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#87 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by Cressy Snr »

steve s wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:42 pm Those old globe mh4 still take 250 volt,(most amp triodes of that era are 200v)
Running them around 200 will give them any easy time Steve.
Yes, I certainly don’t want to be thrashing them unnecessarily; not irreplaceable things like these.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#88 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by Cressy Snr »

Ordered a few bits this morning: a couple of Mills 750R cathode resistors for the MH4s, four new ceramic octal sockets; two for the output valves and two for rectifiers, plus a few tag-strips.

That’s all the pieces I really need to get it built.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#89 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/15

Post by Cressy Snr »

Will start marking out the top plate today. There will have to be some serious thinking done about what goes where, below decks. This is all because of the twin power supply setup and the fact that there is no room up top for the caps to poke through, so their bulk will have to be accommodated underneath, plus the chokes for loading the MH4s. The twin power supply is an area with which I am not prepared to cut corners.

One Hammond 150H choke will provide 11Hz -3dB point, for the 11k internal resistance of the MH4, which is reasonable, but I can get down to 5.8Hz with 2 in series per anode, one bucking the other to minimise hum pickup.

Question: is it worth going for two series chokes per MH4 ?
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#90 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/15

Post by pre65 »

Cressy Snr wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:51 am
One Hammond 150H choke will provide 11Hz -3dB point, for the 11k internal resistance of the MH4, which is reasonable, but I can get down to 5.8Hz with 2 in series per anode, one bucking the other to minimise hum pickup.

Question: is it worth going for two series chokes per MH4 ?
Had you considered a CCS on the anode ? Single or cascaded.

I use Ixys 10M45s but other chips are available.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)