New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

What people are working on at the moment
JamesD
Old Hand

#31 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by JamesD »

Umm Dave Dove's amp used a 6BR7 wimpy pentode as front end of the Aikido... And the 300B had Schade feedback driven from the Aikido backend - which is all wrong and less optimsed than the RH amps :) - except, of course it isn't as the power valve is driven by Gm in the driver stage and the Aikido provides that and the virtual earth reference point...
Nick
Site Admin

#32 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by Nick »

steve s wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:22 pm That exactly what I was saying mark..a light load required but I still think its gain is still not right for modern amplifiers..
Then maybe as the guitar world does plug in a 6072a
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#33 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by IslandPink »

JamesD wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:11 pm 1. Umm Dave Dove's amp used a 6BR7 wimpy pentode as front end of the Aikido...
2. And the 300B had Schade feedback driven from the Aikido backend -
1. I do remember that pentode version you were discussing, so that was the version at Owston ?
However I do remember having a conversation about how he preferred ECC83, when he was round here another time, not sure if that was before or after Owston and the pentode version.
2. Ah, I didn't know that, thanks !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
JamesD
Old Hand

#34 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by JamesD »

It was the 6BR7 at Eggfest :) I'll see if I can find my notes to check when the ECC83 was in the design...

For nostalgia here is the 6BR7 original circuit showing an EF86 that Dave was going to use before buying the 6BR7 - they are compatible for this design.
DD pentode aikido 300bxls ver 2.GIF
DD pentode aikido 300bxls ver 2.GIF (8.4 KiB) Viewed 3811 times
steve s
Shed dweller

#35 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by steve s »

Looks an ok way to drive a 300b in my view
But again the ef86 is a pre amplifier valve., widely used as a 1st stage in low signal/voltage amplification.
In its favour I would think twice the current in that set up compared to ecc83.

Whenever I've used an ef86 to amplifiy a decent voltage I've been disappointed by the results compared to the valves normally use.

I found the ef86 bass light, I'd guess so I would say in that circuit the mid section would be exaggerated just slightly.. complementing the 300b mids ?
Nice.. possibly impressive..
Jono's 45 amp did the same trick as I remember. Another nice amp.

I still think Steve's amp, not needing a big voltage jump with lots of current drive, it's a different ball game to the 300b
But a nice side track..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#36 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by Paul Barker »

The VA doesn’t need power the cf does that duty.

The ACF 2 Nick adapted with more power drive and dc all the way sounds great. We drove the 833 with it at Owston. It’s pretty perfect. All the amplification and drive ever required. The VA is a single valve but rare a double ecc83 replaces that part of circuit.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

#37 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by Paul Barker »

All I can find is the circuit

Oops, that’s not it!
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#38 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by pre65 »

How about this ? ACF2 circuit.

But I can't remember where I got the details from, I think Nick gave me a link.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Paul Barker

#39 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by Paul Barker »

Thanks Phil
Paul Barker

#40 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by Paul Barker »

Just in case you have any errors in copying Phil, I captured this off the web

Paul Barker

#41 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by Paul Barker »

My school Moro was winsit persewerantia

Found J Ross Macdonald article. Fig 4 is our one. https://jrossmacdonald.com/jrm/wp-conte ... llower.pdf
Paul Barker

#42 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by Paul Barker »

This is all because someone couldn’t use ECC83 but worth considering, to my ears it sounds “bloody marvellous”! Read the article it’s what the circuit is about which without you having to comprehend to the extent you could teach it, you can at least see the reason detre is in the circuit not the “valve rolling”.
Last edited by Paul Barker on Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#43 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by Cressy Snr »

Am currently trying out the 6N1P:

This has a similar amplification factor to the MH4 Steve is sending me. A bit lower actually but near enough to be able to assess the possibilities.

I must say it’s very, very good. Nice bass with great mids and an extended, sweet top end. The 6N1P is running 10mA at -2V bias and 165V at its anode. Nice ‘n simple... like me.
Hilarious how it’s dwarfed by the ‘120s :lol:
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
JamesD
Old Hand

#44 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by JamesD »

Always liked the 6N1P - prefer it to the ECC88 any day of the week :)

But MH4 should be on a different level - really interesting to see what you find...
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#45 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by Cressy Snr »

JamesD wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:39 pm Always liked the 6N1P - prefer it to the ECC88 any day of the week :)
Aye, IME the ECC88 can sound a bit too hi-fi for my liking, and flat too; like an overstuffed speaker cabinet.
The 6N1P is a lot more musical and nuanced; at least it is in the above amp.
But MH4 should be on a different level - really interesting to see what you find...
Yes, the new amp will be a great project with our Ant’s cabinetry and Steve’s old Brit valves.
I’m looking forward to getting stuck into it.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.