Dynatron HFC 52 with L78 TT

What people are working on at the moment
gninnam
Old Hand

#1 Dynatron HFC 52 with L78 TT

Post by gninnam »

My brother-in-law is 50 in December and years ago I mentioned to my sister that I would source a turntable system for his birthday as he was using a horrible plastic faux Dansette type player.......

So - I managed to source an L78 in a Dynatron chassis with built in amp and inputs for a tape player and radio for the cost of picking it up about 6 months ago :angel:

Got it home and the v-blocks were perished but the basics seemed to be there so plonked it in the garage ready to look at it some time soon.
Time flies by and before you know it December is just around the corner so I thought I need to pull my finger out.
I bought some v-blocks last year and put them somewhere safe - can I find them...... nope :(
Werner on on the Lenco Heaven forum (Wer) came to the rescue and had a pair of the cheap Chinese ones that he was willing to give to me and get the TT up and running until I can find the good v-blocks - still looking.

The other week I pulled it out from the garage and gave it a good clean and went to town with the computer service spray on the switches and the circuit boards after I had powered it up and the volume control was very noisy.
Also checked the capacitors and resistors and all were in good order (very suprised!)

A few pictures of the interior:

As mentioned above, replaced the v-blocks with the Chinese ones and heres a few pics:

Also re-did the bearing with a new ball bearing and thrust pad plus fresh oil.
Pulled the motor out and gave that a quick service to - ran very smooth and silent!

Connected to my speakers and plugged into the mains then power applied - moving the volume, balance and other buttons and all good regarding crackles and pops coming through the speakers (or not as was the case).
Put a record on and it sounded good for about 5 seconds then the sound went all mushy. Lifted the arm up and put it down and again, sounded good for about 5 seconds. It still had the original cartridge in so not surprised.
From the pics can anyone tell me what it is (I know it's a Goldring one) and worth saving?

Removed the offending cartridge and replaced it with a spare A&R P77 I had and had another go of playing the record.
It sounded very good indeed :cool:

I had an old DIN to 4 RCA socket cables which used to be connected to an old tape deck so pulled out my old but trusted CD player and connected it to the tape DIN socket and it worked with a very nice sound.

A nice sounding deck. Put the lid back on and just need to get another cartridge (unless the Goldring just needs a new stylus - if you can still get them) and sort out some speakers and jobs a good un'  :cheesy:

Thanks for looking
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: Dynatron HFC 52 with L78 TT

Post by Cressy Snr »

Cartridge looks like a Goldring G800 to me. The G800 had a conical stylus.
The G800E stylus, which is elliptical, and tracks up to 3 grams will fit it.

https://shop.mantra-audio.co.uk/acatalo ... tml#SID=75
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
gninnam
Old Hand

#3 Re: Dynatron HFC 52 with L78 TT

Post by gninnam »

Cressy Snr wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:46 pm Cartridge looks like a Goldring G800 to me. The G800 had a conical stylus.
The G800E stylus, which is elliptical, and tracks up to 3 grams will fit it.

https://shop.mantra-audio.co.uk/acatalo ... tml#SID=75
Thanks - will see if I can get a stylus then - if the cartridge is worth keeping that is??
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: Dynatron HFC 52 with L78 TT

Post by Mike H »

I seem to remember they were "the workhorse" at one time, so can't be that bad.

Fab work BTW. :thumbleft:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
gninnam
Old Hand

#5 Re: Dynatron HFC 52 with L78 TT

Post by gninnam »

Mike H wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:43 pm I seem to remember they were "the workhorse" at one time, so can't be that bad.

Fab work BTW. :thumbleft:
Thanks Mike.
Checked the price for a replacement stylus and I could by an AT95 for the same price?
Ant
Shed dweller

#6 Re: Dynatron HFC 52 with L78 TT

Post by Ant »

You might have problems getting the 95 to work well if you want to get the best out of it, the 800 is abit taller so adjusting the arm low enough to get the vta correct might be an issue
Other than that a 95 should be fine on it
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
gninnam
Old Hand

#7 Re: Dynatron HFC 52 with L78 TT

Post by gninnam »

Ant wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:08 am You might have problems getting the 95 to work well if you want to get the best out of it, the 800 is abit taller so adjusting the arm low enough to get the vta correct might be an issue
Other than that a 95 should be fine on it
Thanks Ant.
Using a P77 to test which is higher than the 800. The arm needs to go higher a few mm but won't so the sound is slightly congested due to this.
Is the 800 worth keeping or would the investment be better with the 95 - plus concerned that I replace the stylus and it still doesn't work right.....
Ant
Shed dweller

#8 Re: Dynatron HFC 52 with L78 TT

Post by Ant »

Imo the g800 is crap, I'd get shut
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
steve s
Shed dweller

#9 Re: Dynatron HFC 52 with L78 TT

Post by steve s »

It's a nice cartridge my view, I have a nos g800 and g800e. I also have the p77 and a whole raft of similar era carts

To me it sounds like a shure 44 providing the needle is ok and genuine. Plenty of life in the sound.
I prefer it to shure my shure m75's
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
gninnam
Old Hand

#10 Re: Dynatron HFC 52 with L78 TT

Post by gninnam »

Cheers chaps
Will put the 800 to one side then see what else will suit the original Lenco arm then
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11 Re: Dynatron HFC 52 with L78 TT

Post by Mike H »

This has reminded me I might have one somewhere!

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
gninnam
Old Hand

#12 Re: Dynatron HFC 52 with L78 TT

Post by gninnam »

Delivered the system to my brother-in-law yesterday - to say he was surprised and chuffed is an understatement !
Sounded good on the temporary stand - my sister was going to get something to put it on but didn't want to give the game away.

In its new location (until the new unit arrives)

Sounds really good even with the G800 cartridge (off another forum, someone sent me one they had in a draw doing nothing) so smiles all round :D
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13 Re: Dynatron HFC 52 with L78 TT

Post by Mike H »

Fab. :thumbleft:

Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#14 Re: Dynatron HFC 52 with L78 TT

Post by Ray P »

Super project :thumbup:
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
gninnam
Old Hand

#15 Re: Dynatron HFC 52 with L78 TT

Post by gninnam »

Thanks chaps.
Brother-in-law is mega happy with it :D