Remote control suggestions

What people are working on at the moment
shane
Social outcast

#1 Remote control suggestions

Post by shane »

I’m getting lazy in my old age, so I’m thinking of adding a remote control volume pot to my KEL84. I’ve found this on eBay, which also has the benefit of switching the mains on and off, but I’m not convinced about the quality of the pot. Any other suggestions, anyone?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3191521966
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#2 Re: Remote control suggestions

Post by Ray P »

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
shane
Social outcast

#3 Re: Remote control suggestions

Post by shane »

Saw that one and liked it, but over £100 all in put me off a bit! Am I right I’m thinking that Nick designed the board?
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Nick
Site Admin

#4 Re: Remote control suggestions

Post by Nick »

shane wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:11 pm Saw that one and liked it, but over £100 all in put me off a bit! Am I right I’m thinking that Nick designed the board?
Yep.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5 Re: Remote control suggestions

Post by Mike H »

shane wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:53 pm but I’m not convinced about the quality of the pot. Any other suggestions, anyone?
That thar looks very like a servo-driven Alps pot, so OK if you like Alps pots. :D

I remember seeing about the servo drive option in Alps datasheet.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#6 Re: Remote control suggestions

Post by Mike H »

DUH!! I've just seen in item title "ALPS", so there you go then. :lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#7 Re: Remote control suggestions

Post by pre65 »

You could use a servo motor and connect to the pot of your choice with two toothed pulleys and a cogged belt ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8 Re: Remote control suggestions

Post by Mike H »

You know what I did think could use a spindle coupler (simpler!) however the control direction would then be "backwards"

And on the subject of spindle couplers, these seem to be like rocking horse droppings lately? I can remember getting packs of 5 from RS? But can't find them now? :shock:

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9 Re: Remote control suggestions

Post by pre65 »

Mike H wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:20 pm

And on the subject of spindle couplers, these seem to be like rocking horse droppings lately? I can remember getting packs of 5 from RS? But can't find them now? :shock:
This was the type I last used.

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/potent ... upler.html

Next time I'd use a piece of rubber (or similar) tube.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Greg
Social outcast

#10 Re: Remote control suggestions

Post by Greg »

pre65 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:32 pm Next time I'd use a piece of rubber (or similar) tube.
I’ve found that provided you butt the two shafts closely together and get them properly aligned, adhesive heat shrink works really well.
ed
retired

#11 Re: Remote control suggestions

Post by ed »

this just reminded me....when I was fiddling with the ldr shenanigins back in the day I also spent some time looking at digital pots....
I tried quite a few varieties but couldn't work out which was the most quiet of the bunch...I eventually got a reasonable veersion in a box but never did put together a one-size-fits-all module.I really must revisit this because I thought it had distinct possibilities. I tried:
CAT5113
AD5204/6
MCP4241
all driven by apple remote and alps EC11s
irpot-50.jpg
pp-inside-50.jpg
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

#12 Re: Remote control suggestions

Post by Nick »

I have been working on a design using this

https://www.njr.com/MUSES/series/MUSES72320.html

Seems to be generally blameless from what I can tell.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#13 Re: Remote control suggestions

Post by ed »

that looks to be the DBs...certainly wasn't around when I was messing with them.....
that datasheet is going to derail me for the next few days........must resist this stuff...

the real problem for me is that it's purely DIY and not commercial so unless I actually use a particular gadget the attitude doesn't get fully engaged because I don't actually need it but it is an academic challenge.....
shane
Social outcast

#14 Re: Remote control suggestions

Post by shane »

Nice! This stuff is way beyond my abilities but I’m pleased to have started an interesting conversation. I pressed the button on the eBay kit, if the pot itself turns out to be unsuitable I can substitute a better one.
ed
retired

#15 Re: Remote control suggestions

Post by ed »

Nick wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:10 pm I have been working on a design using this

https://www.njr.com/MUSES/series/MUSES72320.html

Seems to be generally blameless from what I can tell.
blimey
I just did a more general google and that chip seems to be all over the place, very popular. Looks like I gave up that project at the wrong time as the stuff on diya seems to date to just after I was messing with digi volume.

I'm going to get one and have a fiddle, even if I don't need a pre-amp.