A Bluetooth speaker

What people are working on at the moment
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#1 A Bluetooth speaker

Post by Thermionic Idler »

We spent Christmas in a remote holiday cottage and very fine it was too. Although there was a TV, we spent each evening listening to music, as there was a Bush Bluetooth speaker and an internet connection. A smartphone with Qobuz provided the missing link.

I’ve often explored possibilities for music when on holiday, which have often involved how to play vinyl, horribly impractical when travelling. However, on this trip my thoughts have returned to the concept.

I am basically after a one box plug and play solution - unpack, plonk down, connect an IEC cable, pair a phone, music.

So how about this - the box incorporates micro-Fonken enclosures each side (which we heard a couple of Owstons ago). Each enclosure houses the OPT as well as the Fostex driver. In the middle, a very simple EL84 single ended amplifier. Tube-rectified, that way the 5v rectifier heater winding could also power the Bluetooth board, which seems to be a standard.

Any thoughts/ideas much appreciated, particularly around the Bluetooth board which I have little experience of.
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#2 Re: A Bluetooth speaker

Post by The Stratmangler »

Incorporate a Raspberry Pi loaded with piCorePlayer (which can operate as both server and client simultaneously) with the relevant LMS plugins installed.
piCorePlayer will announce itself over the network, and a smartphone app can control it all over WiFi.
You could have it fronting up a valve amped setup, or you could add an amplifier HAT on the RasPi (DtB has already done the latter a year or three back, and run the lot in his glass lean to, aka the conservatory).

The later RasPi boards also have Bluetooth, but it's a whole different bunch of software that you need to play with.
Chris :happy3:
gninnam
Old Hand

#3 Re: A Bluetooth speaker

Post by gninnam »

The Stratmangler wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:57 pm Incorporate a Raspberry Pi loaded with piCorePlayer (which can operate as both server and client simultaneously) with the relevant LMS plugins installed.
piCorePlayer will announce itself over the network, and a smartphone app can control it all over WiFi.
You could have it fronting up a valve amped setup, or you could add an amplifier HAT on the RasPi (DtB has already done the latter a year or three back, and run the lot in his glass lean to, aka the conservatory).

The later RasPi boards also have Bluetooth, but it's a whole different bunch of software that you need to play with.
I believe the same software will still work but with extra drivers etc - all documented :D
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#4 Re: A Bluetooth speaker

Post by The Stratmangler »

gninnam wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:37 pmI believe the same software will still work but with extra drivers etc - all documented :D
You're right - I remember reading about pushing files to a device in LMS, and it was a simple plugin that was required.
I seem to recollect that the push through was performed over Wi-Fi.
Chris :happy3:
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#5 Re: A Bluetooth speaker

Post by Ray P »

Going to the lengths of incorporating a RPi etc. seems like over-complication to me, given that you already potentially have a device capable of high quality playback in the shape of your smartphone; Assuming its an Android phone, get youself the USB Audio Pro player app from the Google store;

http://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/prod ... player-pro

and, by using a USB OTG cable, you'll be able to feed excellent quality digital to whatever device you decide to build and you'll transform the playback capability of your smartphone for use with headphones at the same time. A number of streaming services are supported as sources for USB Audio Pro, including quboz.

If you go the valve amplifier route you'll need a USB DAC of some sort but then you'll still need a DAC with the RPi route. If this is your preferred approach I recommend having a look at the JL Sounds products, which'll give you great sound quality via USB or I2S to feed into your amplifier. However, if you're prepare to compromise with added convenience/simplicity against a purist audio approach, you might want to look at some of the Class D amps available on ebay as they'll take a direct USB input - I found this one very quickly on ebay but you may find something better if you search more diligently.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TPA3116-100W ... :rk:3:pf:0
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#6 Re: A Bluetooth speaker

Post by Ray P »

Maybe an even simpler Class D amp module;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-15V- ... :rk:5:pf:0
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#7 Re: A Bluetooth speaker

Post by Mike H »

FWIW I've been using little Chinese Bluetooth receivers I got off eBay for the past 3 years. They're so good I can't tell any difference between them and a straight cable connection. I use my laptop as the "transmitter", or could be the iPhone. First one I got was the bare board version:
-
Blutooth Adaptor_2327.jpg
-
-
Then later, two more encased (so got 3 of the things - 1 as a spare):
-
Blutooth Adaptor_2325.jpg
-
-
Note they need a 12V adapter, also cheap as chips off eBay. Easy-peasy lemon squeezy. Image

These aren't made anymore I don't think, but lots on eBay, couple of quick examples:

Bluetooth-4-2-Audio-Receivers

UGREEN-Wireless-Bluetooth-4-1-Receiver

HTH

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#8 Re: A Bluetooth speaker

Post by Thermionic Idler »

Thanks very much for the input everyone - certainly something to chew on. My inclination is to go for the simpler Bluetooth boards I think. But many things need to be done before I get to this.
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets