Can now fall asleep whilst listening to LP’s safely.

What people are working on at the moment
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#1 Can now fall asleep whilst listening to LP’s safely.

Post by vinylnvalves »

After years of listening to that continuous groove at the end of LP’s, whilst having 40 winks I decided to do something about it. I purchased of that auction site a tone arm lifter, sorted I thought..... The hyperspace wasn’t designed for mod cons like a tonearm lifter :cry: After a bit of head scratching I came up with a plan....

New arm board spacer machined with a protrusion to mount the lifter to. Had to slightly tweak the lifting finger to stop the arm skidding off and causing damage. All works as it should, it’s strange no sound at the end of an LP.
F3E04828-115D-43E8-BC36-28FEE17760E1.jpeg
[attachment=1]
Attachments
8380729D-DB60-4D03-98ED-0E0EBA257F01.jpeg
RhythMick
Old Hand

#2 Re: Can now fall asleep whilst listening to LP’s safely.

Post by RhythMick »

vinylnvalves wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:09 pm After years of listening to that continuous groove at the end of LP’s, whilst having 40 winks I decided to do something about it. I purchased of that auction site a tone arm lifter, sorted I thought..... The hyperspace wasn’t designed for mod cons like a tonearm lifter :cry: After a bit of head scratching I came up with a plan....

New arm board spacer machined with a protrusion to mount the lifter to. Had to slightly tweak the lifting finger to stop the arm skidding off and causing damage. All works as it should, it’s strange no sound at the end of an LP.
F3E04828-115D-43E8-BC36-28FEE17760E1.jpeg[attachment=1]
Struggling to understand how that works ? So when the arm gets to a set point it's automatically lifted off the record ?
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: Can now fall asleep whilst listening to LP’s safely.

Post by IslandPink »

Yes Steve, what triggers the lifter ?
Does it have a spring and dashpot and need re-setting after you go and remove the record ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Lee S
Old Hand

#4 Re: Can now fall asleep whilst listening to LP’s safely.

Post by Lee S »

I have a solution to that problem too.....

A Technics SL-QL1 !!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
©2020 Lee
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#5 Re: Can now fall asleep whilst listening to LP’s safely.

Post by vinylnvalves »

Yes it a trip wire arrangement and a spring loaded dashpot, which pops up about 3mm. Cheap Chinese version similar to the little fwend just not as refined, but about a 1/4 of the price.
shane
Social outcast

#6 Re: Can now fall asleep whilst listening to LP’s safely.

Post by shane »

By strange coincidence, one just popped up on eBay:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3045322609
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#7 Re: Can now fall asleep whilst listening to LP’s safely.

Post by vinylnvalves »

Almost identical Chinese ripoff mine. Not sure what the red wires for. Has the same flaw, a shiny slippery lifter. I dished mine with a file so the arm doesn’t skid off.
DSJR
User

#8 Re: Can now fall asleep whilst listening to LP’s safely.

Post by DSJR »

That takes me back forty years when it was called a 'Stylift' if memory serves (Monitor Audio imported it?). A bit of a fiddle to align right, but it seemed safe enough once set.

P.S. I'm being very cheeky and mean this with tongue in cheek, but if a Hyperspace sends you to sleep, there's something wrong with arm and cartridge choice. maybe a Notts Analogue arm will bring the music to life after the ZZZzzzzzzzzeta? :P
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9 Re: Can now fall asleep whilst listening to LP’s safely.

Post by IslandPink »

No, they need a rim-drive motor like the Verus :D
Never looked back.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
shane
Social outcast

#10 Re: Can now fall asleep whilst listening to LP’s safely.

Post by shane »

DSJR wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:15 pm That takes me back forty years when it was called a 'Stylift' if memory serves (Monitor Audio imported it?). A bit of a fiddle to align right, but it seemed safe enough once set.
Ah, not quite! The MA Stylift was a much cruder device. When the arm reached the end of its travel it tipped over a pivoted bar with a counterweighted end which flipped the arm up and, as often as not, sent it hurling back across the disk. The AT device was much better thought out.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MONITOR-AUDI ... 3563113057
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
DSJR
User

#11 Re: Can now fall asleep whilst listening to LP’s safely.

Post by DSJR »

shane wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:43 pm
DSJR wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:15 pm That takes me back forty years when it was called a 'Stylift' if memory serves (Monitor Audio imported it?). A bit of a fiddle to align right, but it seemed safe enough once set.
Ah, not quite! The MA Stylift was a much cruder device. When the arm reached the end of its travel it tipped over a pivoted bar with a counterweighted end which flipped the arm up and, as often as not, sent it hurling back across the disk. The AT device was much better thought out.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MONITOR-AUDI ... 3563113057
Of course, you're quite right.

Was it always an 'AT' product? I think I'm correct in that both came along almost together?