Remember These?

What people are working on at the moment
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#406 Re: Remember These?

Post by IslandPink »

It doesn't seem 'crap' to me Steve, quite interesting in fact. I'm not averse to a bit of 2nd-harmonic myself - and the stability with drive level is not like most other amps. I've seen it discussed several times, that the ear is uncomfortable with distortion that changes with frequency or output level. So this could be a big part of what it sounds good.
Hope your further iteration bears fruit.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#407 Re: Remember These?

Post by izzy wizzy »

Whatever music sounded fab on the OTL, don't play the same music with the SS amp. Just play something else so you can't compare. Works for me ;)

Cheers,
Stephen
Ant
Shed dweller

#408 Re: Remember These?

Post by Ant »

Simple solution, get a 12" fane bass unit in series with the other one, presto, a 16 r speaker.....
Where's my coat.....
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Nick
Site Admin

#409 Re: Remember These?

Post by Nick »

IslandPink wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:03 pm It doesn't seem 'crap' to me Steve, quite interesting in fact. I'm not averse to a bit of 2nd-harmonic myself - and the stability with drive level is not like most other amps. I've seen it discussed several times, that the ear is uncomfortable with distortion that changes with frequency or output level. So this could be a big part of what it sounds good.
Yes, I think the constant distortion with level and frequency may be playing a big part in its sound.

BTW Steve, you can call it crap if you like, but you are the only one doing so AFAIK.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#410 Re: Remember These?

Post by Cressy Snr »

Nick wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:53 pm
IslandPink wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:03 pm It doesn't seem 'crap' to me Steve, quite interesting in fact. I'm not averse to a bit of 2nd-harmonic myself - and the stability with drive level is not like most other amps. I've seen it discussed several times, that the ear is uncomfortable with distortion that changes with frequency or output level. So this could be a big part of what it sounds good.
Yes, I think the constant distortion with level and frequency may be playing a big part in its sound.

BTW Steve, you can call it crap if you like, but you are the only one doing so AFAIK.
Just talking about the distortion performance in conventional hi-fi terms. It would be laughed at in some quarters. But it sounds wonderful.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#411 Re: Remember These?

Post by pre65 »

Ant wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:09 pm Simple solution, get a 12" fane bass unit in series with the other one, presto, a 16 r speaker.....
Where's my coat.....
Why not ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#412 Re: Remember These?

Post by Ali Tait »

ed wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:54 pm
Cressy Snr wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:18 am
One thing I would definitely like to try with the Fanes would be a Nelson Pass SIT amplifier, or Phil's Pass, 50W SE jobbie. That would be very interesting.
when I had a plan to build with the fanes I was looking forward to trying the F2...it's the closes I have to the SIT topology....I'm still dreaming...I have 1 2sk82 somewhere but no partner so the only way I'm ever going to taste the real thing is when I can stump up $4000...oh waily waily
One for sale here Ed-

https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthr ... -SIT-3-amp
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#413 Re: Remember These?

Post by IslandPink »

This speaker will fix your OTL difficulties !
http://www.labjc.com/?p=5086
plus a bonus item on PTSD ...
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#414 Re: Remember These?

Post by Cressy Snr »

IslandPink wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:33 pm This speaker will fix your OTL difficulties !
http://www.labjc.com/?p=5086
plus a bonus item on PTSD ...
Aye, that'd do it. :)
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#415 Re: Remember These?

Post by Cressy Snr »

Nice selection of Takman, Kiwame and Arcol resistors, plus some fat-toned, Mallory M150 guitar amp coupling caps arrived this morning.
There's no excuse now, not to get the proper build under way. Gonna be a while yet, whilst I work out how the hell to fit everything else around that giant 1000KVA, toroidal HT transformer and not end up with a chassis the size of a coffee table.
Also I'll hold fire on the wiring until I get the PCB for the input/driver stage from Ray, but the rest of the mechanical bits I can do.

Ed's metallic red 2A3 chassis is about to be reborn: mahogany wood surround and brass fittings should go nice with the deep red colour. :)
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RhythMick
Old Hand

#416 Re: Remember These?

Post by RhythMick »

Watching with interest... And popcorn.
ed
retired

#417 Re: Remember These?

Post by ed »

Cressy Snr wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:19 pm Ed's metallic red 2A3 chassis is about to be reborn: mahogany wood surround and brass fittings should go nice with the deep red colour. :)
2A3 ??????
but seriously, what are you going to do with all the holes?
sv572-front50pc.jpg
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#418 Re: Remember These?

Post by Cressy Snr »

ed wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:04 pm
Cressy Snr wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:19 pm Ed's metallic red 2A3 chassis is about to be reborn: mahogany wood surround and brass fittings should go nice with the deep red colour. :)
2A3 ??????
but seriously, what are you going to do with all the holes?

sv572-front50pc.jpg
I'd assumed it was a 2A3 chassis because of the UX4 sockets. Looks like I was wrong. :)

The wood surround will cover the holes on the sides. The big holes under what were the James output transformers are to house the 13E1 septar sockets. The two holes under the mains transformer will house the sockets for the two 6H30pi. In effect the chassis will be turned 180 degrees to the way you had it.
Most of the rest of the holes therefore will be at the rear and will be buried under the mains toroid, the 13E1 heater toroid, other holes will be made bigger so the power supply caps can poke through. I also have a Hammond cage somewhere, so that'll cover a multitude of sins.
ed
retired

#419 Re: Remember These?

Post by ed »

sounds like a plan, good luck with it.

The reason I ditched that chassis was magnetostrick wotsit. As soon as I put the bottom on the damn thing literally bounced around and made a noise like a pneumatic drill. You'll see there were 5 transformers on top and three more within, so I was fighting physics head on. I wanted to change that configuration to ali chassis but Philip Ramsey failed to come through so I went back to a breadboard while awaiting the 2 chassis version(which never happened).

oh well
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#420 Re: Remember These?

Post by Ray P »

Cressy Snr wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:19 pm Also I'll hold fire on the wiring until I get the PCB for the input/driver stage from Ray, but the rest of the mechanical bits I can do.
PCBs have been fabricated and are making their way across from China; ETA middle of next week.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!