Remember These?

What people are working on at the moment
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#541 Re: Remember These?

Post by Mike H »

Photos or it didn't happen :mrgreen:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#542 Re: Remember These?

Post by Cressy Snr »

Mike H wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:06 pm Photos or it didn't happen :mrgreen:
You’ll have to wait ‘til Owston. :)

As an aside I’ve been experimenting with bypasses on the output caps. Tried expensive Jupiter “Astron” paper caps and got a gorgeous vintage tone out of the amp. Tried extremely expensive Mundorf silver/gold foil in oil and it was OK in a hi-fi sort of way. Tried polypropylene bypass caps and it sounded harsh in the upper mids and lower treble - not pleasant.

Then I decided during a brainstorm of stupidity to use some little black 8uF Sprague Atom 450V electrolytics as bypasses and got the best tonal balance and sweetest treble of the lot. WTF? I give up. :dontknow:

Must be easily pleased or something.

Think I’ll take up knitting.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#543 Re: Remember These?

Post by IslandPink »

Seems like a good experiment and a valid result. I've found that mixing caps with very different ESR ( effective series resistance ) rarely works.
Cressy Snr wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:09 am Tried extremely expensive Mundorf silver/gold foil in oil and it was OK in a hi-fi sort of way.
Thing about those is they are not film/foil, they are metallised film, despite the high price tag. Did I ever mention which ones I prefer ? :D
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#544 Re: Remember These?

Post by Cressy Snr »

It surprised me that the little electrolytic bypasses did the job soundwise, but there it is. The ESR explanation makes sense. Thanks for that Mark.

Gonna search out some music over the next fortnight, to dem the amp with at Owston, which isn’t far away now. The lack of power is going to make the choice of music a lot more important than when I had 50 WPC of NVA clone last year. I’m using CD as a source this time; none of your low res, iTunes download malarkey. It won’t be “system challenging” music; not with only a Watt available. It’s unfair to expect the thing to deliver that sort of stuff in a room that size, so I’m going nowhere near Metallica, The Prodigy or Massive Attack.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#545 Re: Remember These?

Post by izzy wizzy »

IslandPink wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 12:44 pm Thing about those is they are not film/foil, they are metallised film, despite the high price tag. Did I ever mention which ones I prefer ? :D
And that's always puzzled me. Do they buck the usual trend of metallised film? I'm no cap roller but have always preferred film foil if I can.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#546 Re: Remember These?

Post by Mike H »

Cressy Snr wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:09 am Then I decided during a brainstorm of stupidity to use some little black 8uF Sprague Atom 450V electrolytics as bypasses and got the best tonal balance and sweetest treble of the lot. WTF? I give up. :dontknow:

Actually I'm not surprised. Have had mucho aggro with non-elecs in the past, finding something I like, actual elecs, mostly good. Image

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#547 Re: Remember These?

Post by Cressy Snr »

Wolfgang wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:01 pm The best part of using the 6H30 is that it ca be easily replaced by a 6H6p or 6H1p and more. My guess is, from listening to all 3 tubes in my sound systems (AR, SE OTL ), that a 6H30 might sound too sterile in a single output tube OTL. The 6H6p might sound warmer with more bass, the 6H1p a little more open in the upper mids with a little less punch in the bass than the 6H6p.The 6H6p needs double the heater current if tube rolling should be an option. But they are drop in replacements.
However, with some special attention to what the 6H30 needs in order to sound best it can be an exiting experience. With how much current and at which voltage the 6H30 is used will decide how good or boring it will sound. Lots of experimenting and listening.
Interestingly, today I found my old pair of 6H1P at our Ant’s place, came home with them and plugged them in after cleaning the pins with alcohol. Can’t remember where I got them; they may have been courtesy of either Mark or Andrew L, about 10 years ago.
I would say that they sound exactly as Wolfgang had said they would, ie. nice and open in the upper mids and top, leading to a slightly more airy sound than the 6H30pi but with less bottom end heft. They have more gain than the 6H30pi which might account for the slightly more dynamic presentation. I may dem the amp at Owston with 6H1P as the slightly subdued bass will give the 13E1s an easier time of it when trying to fill that room. It doesn’t matter in the house but at Owston, the amp will be able to use that feature of the 6H1P

I’d thought I’d had a couple of 6H6P, which I think I got off Nick around 10 years ago, but these appear to be missing in action. Steve probably has them now. Couldn’t do a full three valve shootout therefore, but there’s no reason to disbelieve Wolfgang judging by what I found with the 6H1P.
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Mon May 06, 2019 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#548 Re: Remember These?

Post by Cressy Snr »

Mike H wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:29 pm
Cressy Snr wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:09 am Then I decided during a brainstorm of stupidity to use some little black 8uF Sprague Atom 450V electrolytics as bypasses and got the best tonal balance and sweetest treble of the lot. WTF? I give up. :dontknow:

Actually I'm not surprised. Have had mucho aggro with non-elecs in the past, finding something I like, actual elecs, mostly good. Image
Aye, the Spragues seem to do it. :)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#549 Re: Remember These?

Post by Mike H »

In that case, it ain't broke don't fix it! :D

Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#550 Re: Remember These?

Post by Cressy Snr »

Another interesting bit is that with the 6H1Ps being higher gain than the 6H30pi, you would have expected there to be higher noise levels when idling. This was not a problem. In fact noise levels were actually lower. These are “ev” versions of the 6H1P, which is presumably a low noise version of the standard valve?

This makes me wonder if these valves came from Andrew L, who had a “developing dish” phono stage way back when. The valves would have needed to be low noise in that application.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#551 Re: Remember These?

Post by Cressy Snr »

Cressy Snr wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 1:36 pm Gonna search out some music over the next fortnight, to dem the amp with at Owston, which isn’t far away now.
Well, a week down the line and I’m no nearer, finding anything, although it’s been great fun reacquainting myself with music I haven’t played for donkeys’ years.
The problem as I see it, is that so far I can’t find anything in the way of plinky plonk bollocks. The missus has “Simply Eva” by Eva Cassidy and that’s about it. Virtually the whole of the rest of my CD collection is 60s Hammond driven soul jazz, 60s R&B, Stax, Motown, Atlantic soul, with a smattering of Steely Dan, Eagles and the 1987 first CD issues of the Beatles catalogue, which are not a patch on the later remasters, none of which I’ve got. I’ve not bought a CD for 15 years at least.

So it’s an Eva Cassidy track first to get the plinky plonk out of the way, then some Hammond jazz, followed by some real Deep Soul, which won’t be an easy listen, so I’d best not go first. :mrgreen:
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#552 Re: Remember These?

Post by izzy wizzy »

Cressy Snr wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 6:08 pm Well, a week down the line and I’m no nearer, finding anything, although it’s been great fun reacquainting myself with music I haven’t played for donkeys’ years.
The problem as I see it, is that so far I can’t find anything in the way of plinky plonk bollocks. The missus has “Simply Eva” by Eva Cassidy and that’s about it. Virtually the whole of the rest of my CD collection is 60s Hammond driven soul jazz, 60s R&B, Stax, Motown, Atlantic soul, with a smattering of Steely Dan, Eagles and the 1987 first CD issues of the Beatles catalogue, which are not a patch on the later remasters, none of which I’ve got. I’ve not bought a CD for 15 years at least.

So it’s an Eva Cassidy track first to get the plinky plonk out of the way, then some Hammond jazz, followed by some real Deep Soul, which won’t be an easy listen, so I’d best not go first. :mrgreen:
Am I missing something here? Any wise words for a new presenter? I just thought you say what you got and play some stuff; show and tell stylee. Is there some kind of "plinkty plonk taste police" out there ... whatever that is? Reckon I better bring a load of records.

Cheers,
Stephen
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#553 Re: Remember These?

Post by IslandPink »

Are you sure you're feeling OK Steve ? I've never noticed any rules. Nick normally tries to play the whole of Soft Machine 'Third' , I usually bring some Fall, which about 2 people like. Bring records, Stephen - even if they don't all get played, we can look at the records.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#554 Re: Remember These?

Post by Dave the bass »

izzy wizzy wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 8:42 pm Is there some kind of "plinkty plonk taste police" out there ...
Nah, no taste police as such, just public humiliation and a 1 to 1 session on the ducking stool.

😀
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Greg
Social outcast

#555 Re: Remember These?

Post by Greg »

Dave the bass wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 9:05 pm
............just public humiliation and a 1 to 1 session on the ducking stool.

😀
1 to 1? Surely that’ll make ducking ineffective.

See-Saw, maybe?