Isolating Transformer

What people are working on at the moment
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#46 Re: Isolating Transformer

Post by pre65 »

Do you have any DC on your mains ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Greg
Social outcast

#47 Re: Isolating Transformer

Post by Greg »

I use a basic Airlinks 2Kv isolation transformer. All my audio kit is fed through it. I found at certain times of day, particularly between 4 and 8pm, I frequently found the Airlinks was buzzing. I added on of Nick’s DC blocker boards and the Airlinks has not, to my knowledge, buzzed since.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#48 Re: Isolating Transformer

Post by pre65 »

Got my transformer wired up as Steve's now.

Just tested it, and I notice there is 8 volts more on the output over the input.

Not tried it in the system yet.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
RhythMick
Old Hand

#49 Re: Isolating Transformer

Post by RhythMick »

Nick wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:48 pm
it seems the casework would have to be connected to normal mains earth otherwise there'd always be a possibility the case could go live
Well, assuming the casework was not earthed, then with a single device (and ignoring leakage current) there is no way the case could go "live" as there is no current path from the secondary live or neutral to ground. Its why a site isolation transformer is used. You should be able to jump into a swimming pool holding a power tool and the transformer will keep you safe.
Hey that sounds fun!
Neal
Shed dweller

#50 Re: Isolating Transformer

Post by Neal »

pre65 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:11 am Got my transformer wired up as Steve's now.

Just tested it, and I notice there is 8 volts more on the output over the input.

Funny you should say that Phil, I checked my BMU this morning after reading this thread and it’s 7volts over the mains input but that’s with no load.
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Nick
Site Admin

#51 Re: Isolating Transformer

Post by Nick »

pre65 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:11 am Got my transformer wired up as Steve's now.

Its a transformer, so it will have a regulation figure, so the off load voltage and full load voltage will not be the same. Pri and secondary winding resistance and core losses etc.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Lee S
Old Hand

#52 Re: Isolating Transformer

Post by Lee S »

Greg wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:01 pm I use a basic Airlinks 2Kv isolation transformer. All my audio kit is fed through it. I found at certain times of day, particularly between 4 and 8pm, I frequently found the Airlinks was buzzing. I added on of Nick’s DC blocker boards and the Airlinks has not, to my knowledge, buzzed since.
Where can I get one of these DC blocker boards from Greg/Nick? I ,like you Greg, have an AirLink that buzzes from time to time when certain household appliances are on in our house or somewhere in the street. Would like to stamp this buzzing out too...

Cheers...
©2020 Lee
Nick
Site Admin

#53 Re: Isolating Transformer

Post by Nick »

I haven't got any made up ATM, but if you want a board PM me.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
DSJR
User

#54 Re: Isolating Transformer

Post by DSJR »

Nick, how different in terms of 'heavy duty-ness' and layout is this board as used by YNWOAN and linked to on Audioflat?

http://sjostromaudio.com/pages/index.ph ... heavy-duty

http://sjostromaudio.net/shop/mains-cir ... rsion.html

Currently just over £27for the board (is that expensive?)

Is it total overkill?
Nick
Site Admin

#55 Re: Isolating Transformer

Post by Nick »

Hard to know, that one looks like it designed (like most) to send all the current through the caps. I tested mine at 13A.
JohnG
Old Hand

#56 Re: Isolating Transformer

Post by JohnG »

I think I have bought a Victron 3600VA, model.
I hope it arrives, just took a punt on it.