Reusing my old Lenco

What people are working on at the moment
gninnam
Old Hand

#1 Reusing my old Lenco

Post by gninnam »

I have changed my setup and the new rack will not fit my last Lenco build so decided to dismantle it and due to pressures of time, cheated and bought a ready made plinth (sorry Ant, not one of yours) :)
Plinth is very good to be honest so extracted the Lenco from the old plinth and resprayed the top. I had some old boiled oil left over from the previous build so used this on the new plinth (was a bit to bright for me) and here is the fruits:

Doesn't look to bad. Will give another coat of oil to make it a little bit darker then will finish it off (needs feet, some more rods to connect it properly to the plinth and *put a proper power connector on the back) then check everything over and give it spin.

Here it is in its new home - looks pretty lush:

Oh and will look to make a perspex cover also.

Cheers
Tony Moore
Old Hand

#2 Re: Reusing my old Lenco

Post by Tony Moore »

Fantastic looking setup! Great work on the Lenco! 8)
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: Reusing my old Lenco

Post by Cressy Snr »

Yes, great looking setup and with those Jenna speakers it ought to sound fantastic too! :)
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
gninnam
Old Hand

#4 Re: Reusing my old Lenco

Post by gninnam »

Thanks guys.
Put some temporary feet on today and also screwed down to the plinth.
Tried it with headphones and sounds pretty good (wife was watching TV) but needs a few more tweaks yet.
gninnam
Old Hand

#5 Re: Reusing my old Lenco

Post by gninnam »

Anyhow - got it all screwed together properly. Bunged some feet on (took about 5 minutes to make) and hooked up to the mains and the phono stage and so far, so good :grin:

Just got a slight rumble on the drive so will look for my perspex line-up tool and make sure it is correct but happy with the sound so far - a few action pics :wink:

gninnam
Old Hand

#6 Re: Reusing my old Lenco

Post by gninnam »

New cart added to the Lenco tonight:

It's a Denon 103M and just had time to listen to a couple of sides of an album - first impressions are the amount of detail produced which seemed very good.

Need some new bolts as one only just connects to the nut and the other is not a good looker (domed head) so that will be on the list next

Will update the thread once I have had chance to listen to more tracks!
Greg
Social outcast

#7 Re: Reusing my old Lenco

Post by Greg »

I’ve only just pick up on this thread. Lovely looking system and those Jenner’s punch well above their size and weight. Out of interest, are the racks made from modified Ikea Lack coffee tables? If so, you’ve done an excellent and very affordable job there. I thought the middle of the legs were basically hollow, so you must have done a bit of stuff to them so your shortened leg version can support the weight in a spiked application. I would be interested in how you achieved it. Looks very nice!

PS. Cork for feet on the Lenco. Obviously Prosecco. Champagne would just be too Audio-foo :D
gninnam
Old Hand

#8 Re: Reusing my old Lenco

Post by gninnam »

Greg wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:13 pm I’ve only just pick up on this thread. Lovely looking system and those Jenner’s punch well above their size and weight. Out of interest, are the racks made from modified Ikea Lack coffee tables? If so, you’ve done an excellent and very affordable job there. I thought the middle of the legs were basically hollow, so you must have done a bit of stuff to them so your shortened leg version can support the weight in a spiked application. I would be interested in how you achieved it. Looks very nice!

PS. Cork for feet on the Lenco. Obviously Prosecco. Champagne would just be too Audio-foo :D
Thanks Greg and yes, the Jenner's are a great speaker, work so well in my room.
Yes, Lacks. I bought a length of 2x2 wood (I think that was the size) then using loads of glue, inserted into the hollow leg and then cut to size once the glue was dry. Worked very well.

I thought the cork feet would suck the life out of the vinyl but it works in my system really well.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#9 Re: Reusing my old Lenco

Post by simon »

Yes, hollow plastic legs with "chipboard" type recycled "bungs" top and bottom. I cut one down once to fit under a desk and support a printer.

Has anyone ever cut one of the tops down? I've often wondered how they're made - I'd guess a plastic top and bottom separated by some sort of card honeycomb, with "chipboard" in the corners to stiffen the top and accept the leg fixings.

Interesting use of Lacks. Looks like there's only the isolating spikes preventing the tables being knocked off each other? Just wondering whether they might be suitable for a project I have in mind.
gninnam
Old Hand

#10 Re: Reusing my old Lenco

Post by gninnam »

12 inch wooden arm for the Lenco.
Used a 3D printed pod and base (with thread so I can alter the height) and 18mm plywood top and 5mm perspex used to hold the terminals.
Cartridge is an Expert Stylus tweaked A&R P77.

Sounding pretty good - will need to be dialled in better.

Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#11 Re: Reusing my old Lenco

Post by Ray P »

Interesting. It looks as though the wood is cut from a single piece so the grain orientation changes along the arm? Assuming that is right, will the the wood be stable or will it tend to twist, especially if it's now in a, presumably, centrally heated house?
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#12 Re: Reusing my old Lenco

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Don't spoil it. It's beautiful!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
steve s
Shed dweller

#13 Re: Reusing my old Lenco

Post by steve s »

Properly dried and knot free the wood should be good...
I'll second beautiful, great workmanship there, I'm impressed
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#14 Re: Reusing my old Lenco

Post by Ray P »

I'm not doubting the aesthetic appeal or the workmanship, it does look great. :thumbup:

Just wondering about 'moulding' the arm using thin strips of wood laminated over a suitable pattern - same principle as those shaped plywood chair seats you see around.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!