New Phono Amp

What people are working on at the moment
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#1 New Phono Amp

Post by mainscablesrus »

The man's latest project done now thought you may be interested to see it.

You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#2 Re: New Phono Amp

Post by simon »

Wot no valves? :-D

Any details of what's inside?
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#3 Re: New Phono Amp

Post by mainscablesrus »

simon wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:06 pm Wot no valves? :-D

Nick will oblige in good time I expect, he is probably building power supplies at the moment.
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Nick
Site Admin

#4 Re: New Phono Amp

Post by Nick »

simon wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:06 pm Wot no valves? :-D

Op amps, transistors, isolated power supplies, cap multipliers, film caps, inductors, the usual things :-)

No magic.

The PH-1 is is a MM stage, 43dB gain, accurate RIAA, channels matched etc. The HA-1 is a 20dB head amp.

£200 each direct from me. If anyone wants to try them just shout, not worried about selling to you lot, but would welcome your feedback.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ant
Shed dweller

#5 Re: New Phono Amp

Post by Ant »

I wouldn't mind giving it a try nick. ive been wondering about it since you mentioned it a couple of months ago
I use mm carts as it is. At150 sa and at440mlb. Have an eroica L mc too, but the comparison for feedback would be with an x-lps mc stage. Mm comparison for feedback would be with the benedict audio hothead
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Nick
Site Admin

#6 Re: New Phono Amp

Post by Nick »

Ant wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:36 am I wouldn't mind giving it a try nick. ive been wondering about it since you mentioned it a couple of months ago
I use mm carts as it is. At150 sa and at440mlb. Have an eroica L mc too, but the comparison for feedback would be with an x-lps mc stage. Mm comparison for feedback would be with the benedict audio hothead
PM me your address Ant
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#7 Re: New Phono Amp

Post by simon »

Nick wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:02 am Op amps, transistors, isolated power supplies, cap multipliers, film caps, inductors, the usual things :-)
Aha! As I expected :-).

Actually I'd be quite interested to try it too as I'm using a Salas Simplistic Folded phono upstairs at the moment, which is very good, but perhaps a bit of an unfair comparison. It is SS though so might be interesting to see how close they are?

Perhaps I can borrow the one you send to Ant when he's finished as we're local? I'm using the Salas phono with a 103pro so it has a lot of gain - I'd need the head amp too to make it a fair comparison.

Don't want to get in to any "it wasn't me it was someone else that damaged it" games though, so I'm easy. That's not meant in any way as a slight on our Ant BTW, just having read the upset other "loners" have caused when there's been a long chain of users, it's probably best avoided...
Nick
Site Admin

#8 Re: New Phono Amp

Post by Nick »

No problem Simon, may need to get the PM from Ant again as my mailbox was full. I doubt you can do much to damage these in any real way,
RhythMick
Old Hand

#9 Re: New Phono Amp

Post by RhythMick »

Nick, have you considered a balanced version ?
Nick
Site Admin

#10 Re: New Phono Amp

Post by Nick »

RhythMick wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:57 am Nick, have you considered a balanced version ?
Not at this point. AFAIK, not many have their tonearm wired for balanced use. I could add a converter on the output to give a balanced output, but it getting away from the simple and low cost idea. May make more sense just making a single ended to balanced converter in the same size box maybe.
RhythMick
Old Hand

#11 Re: New Phono Amp

Post by RhythMick »

No worries thanks nick. I've always treated the tonearm signal as balanced and kept it as such all the way through the amps as far as I can. I don't know enough about SS to build one but would have been interested to compare.
gninnam
Old Hand

#12 Re: New Phono Amp

Post by gninnam »

Nick wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:02 am
£200 each direct from me. If anyone wants to try them just shout, not worried about selling to you lot, but would welcome your feedback.
Hi Nick

Does the £200 include the PSU?
Nick
Site Admin

#13 Re: New Phono Amp

Post by Nick »

gninnam wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:34 pm
Hi Nick

Yes, but its just a simple 12v wall wart. I have done stuff inside the stage to isolate it from the worst that such a supply can do. Seemed silly to design a stage for a target price that needed a £230 additional power supply :-)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#14 Re: New Phono Amp

Post by Mike H »

simon wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:27 am
Nick wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:02 am Op amps, transistors, isolated power supplies, cap multipliers, film caps, inductors, the usual things :-)
Aha! As I expected :-).

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
gninnam
Old Hand

#15 Re: New Phono Amp

Post by gninnam »

Nick wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:03 pm
gninnam wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:34 pm
Hi Nick

Yes, but its just a simple 12v wall wart. I have done stuff inside the stage to isolate it from the worst that such a supply can do. Seemed silly to design a stage for a target price that needed a £230 additional power supply :-)
Thanks for the info. If the phono amp with a wall wart sounds good and with the £xxx PSU sounded even better, then you have the upgrade path like a lot of HiFi kit does ;)