Music in the Kitchen

What people are working on at the moment
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#1 Music in the Kitchen

Post by simon »

We've managed with pretty average sound in the kitchen for a few years now. I say we, really I mean me... Whatever I make has to be easy to use. Forget using an app to control a Squeezebox etc., I mean easy. Press a button easy. And the speakers have to be so small it's like they don't exist. So here's the plan.

I want to be able to access my music library and as I use LMS I'll use a RPi with PiCorePlayer. Having listened to the output on headphones from the audio out jack, it might actually be "good enough". But in for a penny, I plan to add an Allo DAC:
https://www.allo.com/sparky-eu/boss-dac.html

I ordered one a few weeks ago but it got lost - Allo are being really quite helpful to resolve this which is encouraging.

Now for the "make it easy" bit. It's possible to break out the Pi's GPIO pins to push switches which can be set to trigger Favorites via a script file. Favorites in LMS can be set to radio stations, so I can have a simple push button for Radio 4. I haven't done this myself yet but a friend has. I'm just not sure whether I can get at the GPIO at the moment if the Allo DAC uses them. Time will tell.

Next an amplifier. I've toyed with various options including chip amps, but I'm going to build a Bugle to use my 45s. Andrew is sorting out some OPTs and the rest I should have in stock. I hope 45s will have enough grunt for:

And finally speakers, which will be Fostex FX120s I got from a chap in Switzerland on DIY Audio. I picked them up today - forgot about the customs charges as Switzerland isn't in the EU. Going to have to get more used to that in the future! They'll be 30L infinite baffle boxes (thanks for the pointers James), possibly a wedge shape to bounce off the ceiling for some omni-like action as they'll be placed high up, on top of the fridge freezer. And paint the cabs the came colour as the walls so they'll hopefully disappear a little. Currently the FX120s are running in place of the 208 in the Quasars. Photo attached for your amusement (on a number of levels...). Actually, I can understand why Mark is paying a small fortune for a second pair.

That's the plan at this stage. There is a fundamental flaw of course - this hasn't been discussed and agreed with the overseeing authority. It'll make a great system for the garage anyway...
Attachments
FX120s small2.jpg
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: Music in the Kitchen

Post by IslandPink »

45's playing those in sealed boxes will be Schweet !! :bounce:
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: Music in the Kitchen

Post by Mike H »

Watching.

Just FYI, in my conservatory I have likkleTechnics bookshelfs I got off eBay for 30 quid, and run by a little Chinese 6AD10A SET amp, 160 quid. Source is usually via bluetooth from the PC.

The conservatory is adjacent to kitchen & dining room so nearly the same.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: Music in the Kitchen

Post by Cressy Snr »

45s scattering their gorgeousness via omni Fx120s (possibly)
What's not to like?
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#5 Re: Music in the Kitchen

Post by simon »

I've been wanting to use my 45s for ages so I hope this works out well
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#6 Re: Music in the Kitchen

Post by simon »

Replacement DAC order, thanks to Allo's positive customer service. Fingers crossed this one arrives.
steve s
Shed dweller

#7 Re: Music in the Kitchen

Post by steve s »

simon wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:47 pm I've been wanting to use my 45s for ages so I hope this works out well

Brave man building a valve amp for the kitchen... best of luck with that one Simon
I think that Mr Cresswell has got us all motivated ..
I'm busy rebuilding a honda 50 but I've got the itch to get soldering too
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#8 Re: Music in the Kitchen

Post by simon »

In my mind the amp's compact and bijou, the reality might be different of course :lol:. A Bugle is a reasonably simple amp to build so I'm hopeful...
ed
retired

#9 Re: Music in the Kitchen

Post by ed »

kitchen musics...sublime
cambridge.jpg
it might be possible to over think this
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#10 Re: Music in the Kitchen

Post by simon »

Yeah but no but - I don't have one of those! Where's ya sense of adventure? :-D
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#11 Re: Music in the Kitchen

Post by simon »

I used the box the FX120s came in to make a baffle to test the HF and MF earlier (though I was a little surprised how much the bass came up with just an open cardboard box).

I varied the angle of the baffle between the drivers firing straight up at the ceiling to firing straight forward and overall I reckon I prefer approximately 30 degrees to horizontal, but I don't think there's a right or wrong, just a preference.

Firing forward the treble was probably the most detailed and direct, but the kitchen is 6.4m long and 2.7m wide with the fridge near the middle of a long wall so the sound wasn't the best at the ends of the room.

Firing upwards the sound was quite diffuse, so much more even around the room. Interestingly the sound was more directional when stood directly in front of the fridge.

~30 degrees had the best compromise for me - even sound throughout the kitchen without directionality but retaining a good amount of the treble goodness. Steve's adventures in Omni land are well observed.

The cabinet will be a bit more fiddly to build though.
Attachments
FX120s fridge.jpg
SimonC
Old Hand

#12 Re: Music in the Kitchen

Post by SimonC »

simon wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:47 pm I've been wanting to use my 45s for ages so I hope this works out well
I fell in love with Andrew I's 45 P-P amp (the purple one) and its on my bucket list for building a 45 something one day.... I'm watching this with interest, esp as its got FX120's in the mix.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#13 Re: Music in the Kitchen

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I think your new speaker box looks just fine - why bother with wood and all that mucking about with dangerous sharp devices!?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#14 Re: Music in the Kitchen

Post by pre65 »

SimonC wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:50 am
I fell in love with Andrew I's 45 P-P amp (the purple one) and its on my bucket list for building a 45 something one day.... I'm watching this with interest, esp as its got FX120's in the mix.
Andrew I ?

Was he not the chap who used to build a new amp every 3 weeks ? :lol:

Over the years he has built some cracking amps, and the 45 PP was one of them. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#15 Re: Music in the Kitchen

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I don't do compliments - no grace you see.

The 45PP secret is that you can't skimp on transformers. I used Lundahl for interstage and outputs & PSUs were Sowters. The PSU s are bog standard CLCs and (mullard!) GZ34s and the input valve type an inspiration that was born from lucky eBay chance where, like all the 12GN7s I once had, the 7F8Ws were very cheap indeed for about 20, if I remember. Simples!

I have actually built an amp in the last few years which I will tell you about soon...
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.