What people are working on at the moment
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#46 Re: Old fashioned 12inch 3 way

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Don't resist
Don't resist
Don't resist

Perfect Doc Mod project, you can run it in parallel with mine, and we can learn from each other :mrgreen:
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#47 Re: Old fashioned 12inch 3 way

Post by Daniel Quinn »

They look in very good nick and are to me as aesthetically pleasing as any pair of missions .
shane
Social outcast

#48 Re: Old fashioned 12inch 3 way

Post by shane »

It's not me that you need to convince! Much as I'd love to, it's not a practical possibility at the moment ☹️

If anyone else wants to bid, I won't mind!
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
karatestu
User

#49 Re: Old fashioned 12inch 3 way

Post by karatestu »

Well, if i had got on with my 3 way doc modding of Marantz imperial 7 then i could join in. I am making slow progress again now.

Only started it in March. All i can say is make sure the baffle is suitable for doc's doped drivers to drop right in, otherwise there is a whole load more work to do. I too have thought about steel cabs or even better might be cast iron - bit brittle though, i have a very substantial man holecover with bits snapped off.

Watching with interest doc.
:bigsmurf:
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#50 Re: Old fashioned 12inch 3 way

Well work is not backing off and I have another couple of projects to finish, mainly "Big Bastard Power Supply" for the phono stage bake-oof. Soo I think I will simplify the project and leave the steel case for a later date. Watching some Goodmans Magnums at the moment for one to be donor unit for a Doc Mod project.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#51 Re: Old fashioned 12inch 3 way

Got a pair of good condition Goodmans Magnum K2 on ebay for £15 :shock: who said you couldn't still get bargains. Now stripped, even though I have my own 12 inch bass drivers I have decided to dope and use the originals to begin with. Midrange driver I will replace as the in house one will need high pass filter and I don't want that, so replaced with my one. same with tweeter as the tweeter was the weak link in the original speaker. Ordered 10kg of steel plate, probably not enough.

On going, watch this space.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#52 Re: Old fashioned 12inch 3 way

Not much progress apart from Goodmans 12 inchers now doped and drying.
karatestu
User

#53 Re: Old fashioned 12inch 3 way

Post by karatestu »

I am still toying with the idea of firing my doc mod mid drivers upwards and leaving the 12" bass & Visaton G25 on the front baffle. The only way I can think to test this idea and not butcher the Marantz cabs for no reason is to make a small enclosure to sit on top of the main cab with tweeter positioned in the front of said new cab and mid firing upwards.

Then if I like it/ it works I can point my hole saws at the top of the Marantz cabs and put the tweeter at the top of the baffle as usual.
:bigsmurf: