G99 and Neat

What people are working on at the moment
cressy
Shed dweller

#106 Re: G99 and Neat

Post by cressy »

Cut the blank for the base today. Then promptly forgot to put it on here.

Same construction as the deck except the sheet material is 18mm instead as it has to glue up flat with 3 layers. There wouldnt be the weight in it to flatten any warps in the sheets it if it was thinner
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#107 Re: G99 and Neat

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Excellent job , with attention to detail I can only dream about having the time to do .

on second thoughts , I am sloppy want it now kind of bloke , who I am kidding :wink:
cressy
Shed dweller

#108 Re: G99 and Neat

Post by cressy »

Right, stopped raining so have got some more done.
The levelling base has been squared up and sized, and the underside marked up for a set of m8 threaded inserts for the levelling spikes which I thought I had. Turns out they were m6 so ive ordered some more. Also ordered a stress relief cable grip for the rear panel on the deck. If its to be hardwired, it wants a good solid mounting and extra insulation from the plate.
Spikes are m8 brass long ones and will be set in 40mm from the front back and sides. The unthreaded spike part is about 12mm long, so the base will stand off the rack or whatever its going on by about that height. you wont be able to see them unless you look underneath, so it will have a shadow line and will look like its kind of floating.

Ive inset the spike shoes into the top of the base to reduce the overall height abit, and also fettled the cutout for the 99 so its a nice resistance fit. It will be screwed down through the mounting holes with mirror fitment screws. The bolts it came with are pig ugly, the mirror fitting screws have a chromed cap that fits over them so they look nice.

Still waiting for the satin clearcoat I ordered to arrive, and need some more black for the base.

Onwards!
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#109 Re: G99 and Neat

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

In time for Owston ?
cressy
Shed dweller

#110 Re: G99 and Neat

Post by cressy »

Yes I cant see why not
cressy
Shed dweller

#111 Re: G99 and Neat

Post by cressy »

Got started with the clearcoat today.
Got 4 coats on to start with, then started flatting back.
I wanted a nice thick first set of coats to start flatting as I dont want to go through to the black underneath.
It then started bloody raining again, so it now looks rather sorry for itsself as I have been unable to get the next set of coats on...... Ferchristsake......

The inserts for the base section have arrived though so I can get those in at least
cressy
Shed dweller

#112 Re: G99 and Neat

Post by cressy »

Im building up the finish with normal clear coat first to get it nice and flat, using it kind of like a clear filler coat. and then will go over it with a couple of coats of satin clear as the finish coats.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#113 Re: G99 and Neat

Post by IslandPink »

Interesting stuff. The sunshine is on its way over, getting nice here now !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
cressy
Shed dweller

#114 Re: G99 and Neat

Post by cressy »

Took the motor apart and found i had to do a complete rebuild on it as the entire stack had to be realigned.
So its had the nose and rear bearings stripped rebuilt and reset and the stack realigned so the rotor isnt hitting it anymore.

There are circular score marks in the varnish on the rotor and the inside of the stack has been polished by the rotor hitting it

Dunno how long its been like that, but hopefully it should be ok now
cressy
Shed dweller

#115 Re: G99 and Neat

Post by cressy »

You can see the radial scoring in the varnish on the rotor

And polishing on the inside of the stack

Also replaced a broken top spring, luckily I had a spare
ed
retired

#116 Re: G99 and Neat

Post by ed »

Hi Ant

are those countersink marks on the rotor where it's been balanced???
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
cressy
Shed dweller

#117 Re: G99 and Neat

Post by cressy »

Yep those are where the rotor has been balanced, its the score marks at 90 degrees to the shaft between those countersinks that are of concern
ed
retired

#118 Re: G99 and Neat

Post by ed »

mmm bearing gets tired, rotor wobbles, rotor scratches against side, rotor goes out of balance.....

replace bearing

back to verse 1 except the coda takes you to rotor wobbles...and round again

I feel a song coming on :D

I'm sure it's not that or even that bad in reality...just thinking too much
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
cressy
Shed dweller

#119 Re: G99 and Neat

Post by cressy »

Strangely not in this case, the bearing olives are fine, its the stack that has moved :shock:

On these motors the stack is bolted onto the backplate of the motor frame with 4 machine screws and isnt actually located on any pegs. Probably to keep machining costs down. Over time the screws loosen off and the stack starts to drop down under its own weight.

The screws were quite loose on this one.

To realign it you loosen off the stack screws then put the motor back together so the rotor is in the position it will be in in use. Then line the stack up so the rotor is concentric with the stack and tighten the 2 screws you can get to. Take the nose bearing cradle back off so you can get to the other screws and tighten those.

Its rather fiddly
cressy
Shed dweller

#120 Re: G99 and Neat

Post by cressy »

This is where we are at

This has a gloss clear over it at the moment and as you can see, ( maybe you cant in this pic, but i can) every little imperfection is highlighted. There are spurious reflections all over the place in the grain of the veneer, every little bump is magnified. The satin clear should look alot better as it wont do this and the finish will be much more consistent over the whole thing.

The gloss makes the veneer appear a hell of alot lighter in colour than it really is, the effect doesnt look very nice to me. The earlier pic with the matt finish after the stain was applied was much nicer

The base section will get veneered around the edge tomorrow and then once its sat for a while will get the stain and clear same at the deck.

The reason for using the gloss clear is to make the transition between the veneer and the black seamless, i.e you cant feel a ridge with your fingers. It will all get flatted back before the satin clear is applied

At the moment it looks fine from one angle, then awful from another as the gloss catches the light. At the moment Its a ten foot turntable, looks fine from ten foot away. Get closer and it catches the light in a different way.
Is it me being a pedant? Damned right it is, if i dont like some aspect, other pedants wont like it either, its gorra bi reight as they say around here

Gloss has to be absolutely perfect, wood isnt perfect.
Last edited by cressy on Mon May 22, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.