G99 and Neat

What people are working on at the moment
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#136 Re: G99 and Neat

Post by Cressy Snr »

Best thing do in situations like these is just stop, think, execute and stay off the internet until you've finished the job.
There's always something that'll bugger things and the closer you get to the end of the job, the more likely it is that Sod's Law will strike.
Look at my flatbacks, the terminal tray on one speaker decided to explode into a million pieces when I tried to get it out so I could change the crossover cap so now I've got to either get a new one or rethink the terminal arrangement altogether and all that before I can even start veneering and I'm supposed to be taking them to Steve's on Tuesday along with the NVA cubes. :shock: :shock:

You've got bloody great holes under the armboards that allow for different arm geometries so an offset hole rotating armboard is the probable answer.
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Fri May 26, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
cressy
Shed dweller

#137 Re: G99 and Neat

Post by cressy »

Dropped a cart in the headshell, moved it over my protractor and the angle is an absolute mile off. Moving the protractor back until the headshell side lined up with the lines on it, means that the stylus would be about 15mm further back.

Hopefully theres enough space underneath to accommodate the mounting nuts
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#138 Re: G99 and Neat

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I have every confidence you will find a solution.
Greg
Social outcast

#139 Re: G99 and Neat

Post by Greg »

Cressy Snr wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 8:15 pmLook at my flatbacks, the terminal tray on one speaker decided to explode into a million pieces when I tried to get it out so I could change the crossover cap so now I've got to either get a new one or rethink the terminal arrangement altogether and all that before I can even start veneering and I'm supposed to be taking them to Steve's on Tuesday along with the NVA cubes. :shock: :shock:
Steve, I have a spare blank twin terminal dish if that is any good to you. I could get it in the post special delivery first thing Saturday. Let me know.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#140 Re: G99 and Neat

Post by Cressy Snr »

Thanks Greg. It doesn't matter mate. At the moment I'm transferring all the components from the walnut OmniMets into the Mahogany ones, so the terminal trays out of them will be thrown spare. I don't need three sets of speakers in the house, only the demo pair of pure OmniMet and the flatties. There's always a solution.
Thanks for the offer though. :)

Edit wrong emoticon. :oops:
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Fri May 26, 2017 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Greg
Social outcast

#141 Re: G99 and Neat

Post by Greg »

OK, glad you're sorted. Just happy to help if I could. Ant, sorry for thread drift. Hope you sort G99. You've worked long and hard on this. Your hours would be interesting.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#142 Re: G99 and Neat

I think you can blame me - I said same hole as rega but didn't know if rest was the same, you could have taken my statement as arm is same geometry as well. :oops:
cressy
Shed dweller

#143 Re: G99 and Neat

Post by cressy »

Its looking like the geometry is somewhere between 230 and 240 s/p distance after much faffing with a protractor, steel ruler and a temp board with a hole in.

I can get it back to 235 with the existing plinth rebates where its close. I wonder if thier geometry is the same as the ga12 with a 237 s/p and 8mm overhang.

Odd
cressy
Shed dweller

#144 Re: G99 and Neat

Post by cressy »

It appears that the mounting distance is 237mm with an 8mm overhang. having made a temporary board for it it lines up at that distance.

Which poses another problem as the rebates need enlarging. The mounting bosses wont fit as they are

There will need to be some sort of sacrificial plate made up so there is something to centre the cutter on the existing hole.

This is going to be very tricky..........
DSJR
User

#145 Re: G99 and Neat

Post by DSJR »

The NEAT arm with 'integral' dial-up counterbalance was an exact Rega fit, dropping into my Rega P3 base and lining up with no difficulty using a cartridge and 60mm inner null point as per Rega's protractor.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#146 Re: G99 and Neat

Post by pre65 »

cressy wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 4:22 pm
This is going to be very tricky..........
You have the skill to overcome any problems Ant. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
cressy
Shed dweller

#147 Re: G99 and Neat

Post by cressy »

Its not even close. This is 222.7mm s/p distance

cressy
Shed dweller

#148 Re: G99 and Neat

Post by cressy »

Here you can see the difference in the effective length between the neat and an rb251

DSJR
User

#149 Re: G99 and Neat

Post by DSJR »

I didn't use the NEAT shell. It was the Linn LVV/cheapo ADC shell with an ADC Phase IV in it! That'll teach me for not taking loads of pics to back my words up :(
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#150 Re: G99 and Neat

If it helps I wont be using the Neat headshell I will be using either the Ortofon SPU shell built in with it or I use cheap DJ headshell that are really good and close to the Sumiko in sound quality.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Turntab ... xyffZSYAnj