G99 and Neat

What people are working on at the moment
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#1 G99 and Neat

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I have had a G99 and a late 1960's Neat broadcast arm (very rare) waiting for a plinth etc for over two years. I just don't have time. Anyone volunteer to do it.
cressy
Shed dweller

#2 Re: G99 and Neat

Post by cressy »

I'll do it.

1. Any space constraints, i.e could I make it 3 foot wide and it not cause a problem? Its as much use as a chocolate teapot if it wont fit where it is supposed to go

2. are there specs available for the neat arm?

3. Any restrictions, could I paint it sky blue pink or could I go wherever my mind takes me with it?

4. Any timeframe? I have other work on, not much admittedly but its there
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#3 Re: G99 and Neat

480w 380d is max which are the dimensions of my PL71. h doesn't matter within reason. It would be nice if an available lid will fit. Finish gloss(ish) black would be simplest and very NVA :lol: Pref solid and heavy (but not slate heavy :shock: )

The arm is very hard to find inf on, it is a class one hens tooth. Anyway I can send both to you. The arm is a NEAT G-36 professional 30cm (it says on the box).
Last edited by Dr Bunsen Honeydew on Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#4 Re: G99 and Neat

here is a pic

It seems standard Japanese 9 inch mounting, which because of the original Rega japanese arm has become standard Rega mount.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#5 Re: G99 and Neat

I have used NEAT arms before, but not this one. They are very simple but with very good bearings, back in the late 60's the main choice in the dealers was SME 3009, Decca Uni, AT1005mk2, NEAT G-90. I had them all, the NEAT was best and the AT 2nd. The Decca just hummed and I hated the bland nature of the music from the SME.
cressy
Shed dweller

#6 Re: G99 and Neat

Post by cressy »

Ok that seems workable with what I have in mind.
Gloss black I will have to have a good think on how to do it, there are ways and means

If you can send it up it will be much easier

What i have in mind wont look conventional
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#7 Re: G99 and Neat

Rough drawing.

You will have to give an address for sending.
cressy
Shed dweller

#8 Re: G99 and Neat

Post by cressy »

Crap quick sketch but you get the picture

From memory I think the front of the 99 is about 13 1/2" wide and front to back it is about 15" so the sweep back of the 'wings' would be steeper than the drawing.

The angle would be determined by the rear right corner radius which would be concentric with the neat arm mounting centre.

The 99 is an odd shape, vaguely hexagonal which makes it asthetically interesting but more difficult to match to a plinth without going for a simple rectangle. If simple is what you want, then fine, bear in mind that there is a lot of plain bare plinth, that to my eye makes it look abit lost.

But a lid would drop on, and it is simpler to make
DSJR
User

#9 Re: G99 and Neat

Post by DSJR »

That Neat arm is Rega size and fits a Planar 3 plinth exactly with perfect geometry. Sorry if the template drawings I gave weren't suitable, but that's how I received them.
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#10 Re: G99 and Neat

Post by Thermionic Idler »

Wow. I want one now. That Neat arm looks very interesting.
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets
cressy
Shed dweller

#11 Re: G99 and Neat

Post by cressy »

Top down, abit better drawing
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#12 Re: G99 and Neat

Your on, obviously I will pay you for it. I have other spare arms I will look through them for something suitable. In fact it will be perfect as nva phono stages are built either mm or mc and I change headshell on the PL71, now I wont need to.

Just looked. I forgot I sold off most of my collection of broadcast arms. I had Technics, Sony, AT. apart from the G36 I have three others left. Two I don't know what they are but one is a Neat G-90 I forgot I had, so I can have both neat arms, the domestic and the pro on the same TT, same mounting. I found this it shows both arms and NEAT pro TT and NEAT carts. I have heard but not certain it is correct that NEAT became Micro Seiki.

http://audiosharing.com/review/wp-conte ... 1/neat.jpg
Last edited by Dr Bunsen Honeydew on Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#13 Re: G99 and Neat

Arms I have left. Bottom is the NEAT G-90, not a clue what the other two are.

cressy
Shed dweller

#14 Re: G99 and Neat

Post by cressy »

Presumably the small collar at bottom right is the mounting collar for the neat? If so it should mean I can use a smaller radius for the rear corners and tuck the angles in tighter to reduce the width, to more closely follow the angles of the 99
I'll drop you a pm with the address to send the deck and arms
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#15 Re: G99 and Neat

They are all mixed up bits I just emptied the box on the table separated the arms and took the photo. I will sort out what belongs to what when I send. In fact they are doing nothing I can send you the lot. After I took the photo I found a couple of more bits in the box.