Battery power supply for phono stage

What people are working on at the moment
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#1 Battery power supply for phono stage

Post by vinylnvalves »

I recently bought as a stop gap a proj-ect RS phono stage, as my valve one is misbehaving. OMG what a revelation it's no longer a stop gap, the valve ones relegated. I have read that this phono stage - really benefits from replacing its Walmart psu. Project will sell you a battery powered one, but at £400, I thought I will make one. It needs a +/- 18v supply, I estimate needing 500ma ( from the battery life stats) it's dual mono, and looks to have further regulation inside the amp ( as one would expect)

This is where the forums experience comes in, what type of batteries do I go for, i think I remember reading somewhere that lead acid ones are the lowest noise type. I think this nugget of information was from before lithium polymer ones came out, so may no longer be correct.
Lead acid ones are easy - I just get alarm backup batteries, in series. However I was thinking about using power tool ones, a pair of 18v 4.5ah drill lipo batteries can be found on line for around £50, and would give around 9 hrs of listening between chargers.
Anyone done anything similar and has some wise words.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#2 Re: Battery power supply for phono stage

Post by simon »

Sorry, no wise words. Not sure if anyone here's really tried it? I think Cressy Snr might have but for filaments of 3A5/DCC90s (or some such).

Someone called Chopsaw I think brought his impressive perspex TT he'd made to an Eggy meet a few years ago and I think he used batteries to power his phono stage. Apart from that I can't think of anyone. I might still be considering a decent regulated supply rather than batteries though, just for the convenience. Hopefully someone will chime in with something more useful.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#3 Re: Battery power supply for phono stage

Post by andrew Ivimey »

For filaments (26) I used lead acid rechargeables. Sorted.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: Battery power supply for phono stage

Post by pre65 »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:39 pm For filaments (26) I used lead acid rechargeables. Sorted.
Andrew, did you try those Rod Coleman filament supplies that you got from me on the 26 ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5 Re: Battery power supply for phono stage

Post by pre65 »

For an inexpensive dual rail option what about this ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-DC-LF353-S ... Sw74FXPXeZ
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#6 Re: Battery power supply for phono stage

Post by Ray P »

As an alternative to a battery supply perhaps consider a good low-noise shunt supply;

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-bu ... t-reg.html

http://twistedpearaudio.com/power/placidbp.aspx
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#7 Re: Battery power supply for phono stage

Post by vinylnvalves »

I saw this battery phono psu's, very similar to what I was thinking.
http://www.bartola.co.uk/valves/tag/lea ... o-preamps/
I had been thinking of lipo's until someone at work told me of a friend of his in a model RC aircraft club who had burnt his house down, charging lithium polymers.

As some of you have pointed out a well designed linear power supply also is an option. I need to look what voltage regulation is in the amp, as no point in going OTT if there's a regulator IC's adding noise later in the chain. The batteries will have a lower resistance, than a regulated psu's if that's important for small signals is another matter.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#8 Re: Battery power supply for phono stage

Post by vinylnvalves »

Has anyone used these low noise regulators, are they worth the extra?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252380565873? ... EBIDX%3AIT
I am warming to the idea of a good linear power supply, over batteries. Ideally I would prefer to buy populated boards and these seemed to be a good balance. I had also seen these but cannot find any details on the circuit. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Assembled-S11 ... 1828014441
Andrew
Eternally single

#9 Re: Battery power supply for phono stage

Post by Andrew »

At the risk of recommending an AT solution and sounding like a salesman, I'm nothing of the sort, by the way as I'm poor salesman at best. Have you considered Nick's regulated supplies?

Andrew
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#10 Re: Battery power supply for phono stage

Post by andrew Ivimey »

&How would anyone know about Nick's regulators?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#11 Re: Battery power supply for phono stage

Post by vinylnvalves »

If I knew what nicks regulators were, I may consider them :D
I worked out that second regulator I referenced off eBay is a clone of a sigma 22 Psu from AMB audio.http://www.amb.org/audio/sigma22/. I found a thread on diy audio suggesting that the TPS7A4700 based ones are better. So unless anyone has anything against them, or I find out about Nicks I will go with the TPS7A4700 ones
Greg
Social outcast

#12 Re: Battery power supply for phono stage

Post by Greg »

Before you do that, how about PM'ing Nick to find out a bit more?
Nick
Site Admin

#13 Re: Battery power supply for phono stage

Post by Nick »

I have a dual regulator board that I normally use for m-dac supplies (+18v, 0, -18v). May work well for your phono stage. Happy to make one up if you want to try it.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.