WAD Phono2 power supply.

What people are working on at the moment
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#16 Re: WAD Phono2 power supply.

Post by pre65 »

My philosophy is use what you have (if it's at all suitable), and you could pad down 12.6v a bit with resistance.

Try redesigning the circuit to suit what you have, there is help if you need it. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#17 Re: WAD Phono2 power supply.

Post by pre65 »

Shane, I'll have a look in my spares box to see if I can help with any bits for you.

Edmund Burke

shane
Social outcast

#18 Re: WAD Phono2 power supply.

Post by shane »

pre65 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:20 pm
Try redesigning the circuit to suit what you have, there is help if you need it. :)
That's why I was asking why Nick used two transformers.

From what I've gathered about Nick over the years, he doesn't usually do anything without a good reason, although it maybe that he simply had a good supply of cheap 9v transformers in 2003.

Offer of spares much appreciated!
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Nick
Site Admin

#19 Re: WAD Phono2 power supply.

Post by Nick »

I built it first with a 240v + 9v TX from Maplin, it created too much hum field. Using the two back to back toroids worked better.
My philosophy is use what you have (if it's at all suitable), and you could pad down 12.6v a bit with resistance.
Yep, but I find that leads to poor results and either a failure, or more cost in the future. But that's a different philosophy. Designing around what you have is one thing, but taking a working design and replacing parts runs the risk of making it into a non working design. Its one of the reasons why I stopped posting circuits. I got fed up with doing other peoples work for them.

Using 260v instead of 230v means that the CCS will dissipate more heat, so make sure its got enough heat sinking. Likewise using a 12.6v TX will mean the heater supply is seeing 17.5v, so the regulator is dropping 11v, so with three ecc83's thats 10W its got to get rid of. rather than 6W starting with 9v. And yes you can burn it off as heat, but most of the time we work at getting low impedance power supplies.

Two 60va 9v transformers are £38.30 from Rapid, less than a purpose would transformer.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
shane
Social outcast

#20 Re: WAD Phono2 power supply.

Post by shane »

Makes sense to me.

One Analogmetric toroid now heading for eBay....
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#21 Re: WAD Phono2 power supply.

Post by pre65 »

Of course you are right Nick, no question about that.

But poor (literally) Shane has little spare income. :(

So far Shane, I've found for you

1 x WD choke 15H
3 x 100uf @ 450v
1 x 4700uf @ 35v
1 x 100uf @ 100v (32v specified)

all have been used at some time .

PM me your address and I'll post them for you.

Edmund Burke

shane
Social outcast

#22 Re: WAD Phono2 power supply.

Post by shane »

Ok, two more questions for today, then I'll leave everyone in peace.

1) As Maplins no longer seem to do inductors, would the 10h device from WAD PSU2 work? (Ducks behind sofa to avoid Nick repeating warnings about changing working designs....)

2) Nick, since you rejected the original tx due to hum, does that mean you were building it into the same case as the Phono2? I'd assumed that I would need to build the supply as a remote entity with an umbilical, but it would be nice if I didn't have to.
Nick
Site Admin

#23 Re: WAD Phono2 power supply.

Post by Nick »

Yes, the original inductor should be fine.

I was building it all into the one box, if you are building with two boxes then it may well be much better and just use what you have. Just be aware of the extra dissipation requirements you may have.

Its just me getting grumpy(er)in my old age, of course you can do as you will, bit it gets a tad irritating if you

1. have a "it works" design
2. Someone build it, but does something different
3. Someone then needs help doing the something different
4. based on the someone doing something different and not liking the result, declares that the original design was crap.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
shane
Social outcast

#24 Re: WAD Phono2 power supply.

Post by shane »

No danger of that, Nick. If it's crap, it's my fault, if it's brilliant it's yours.

PM Sent, Phil.
Nick
Site Admin

#25 Re: WAD Phono2 power supply.

Post by Nick »

Yep, I wasn’t pointing at anyone in particular, but just having a grump. Must be still hung over from the weekend.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#26 Re: WAD Phono2 power supply.

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:53 pm Yep, I wasn’t pointing at anyone in particular.
I apologise for trying your patience at times,or is it all the time. :lol:

Edmund Burke

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#27 Re: WAD Phono2 power supply.

Post by Mike H »

Not the same thing at all and yet in a similar vein, at the mo I seem to have got lumbered with helping someone on a Moto Guzzi forum to test whether he's got oil pressure or not (dodgy oil dash light, or is it?).

It's like trying to pull teeth.

All he's got to do is loosen something, turn the motor on the starter only (don't actually start it) and see if oil comes out. Yet he manages to make this relatively simple test incredibly complicated and I don't think he's done it yet. :shock:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
cressy
Shed dweller

#28 Re: WAD Phono2 power supply.

Post by cressy »

tell him to loosen the sump plug :lol:
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#29 Re: WAD Phono2 power supply.

Post by Mike H »

:D

We have asked "has it actually got oil in it" he says yes, but now I'm wondering.....

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#30 Re: WAD Phono2 power supply.

Post by IslandPink »

Moved on a bit since I last visited...
Good that the circuit's all there from Nick, see I was right about OA2 & OB2 :D Now, what's that NiCad doing in the cathode of the first stage though ? Good for sucking the life & colour out of the precious vinyl signal.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"