ADC Options to play vinyl through my DSP preamp

What people are working on at the moment
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#1 ADC Options to play vinyl through my DSP preamp

Post by vinylnvalves »

Since going fully active with my speakers I haven't played any of my vinyl, as it doesn't sound as good as digital through my Nadja DSP. I suspect that the ADC input in the Nadja is the weak link. I now have decided it's time to revive my turntable. Having had my ears opened up to the superior sound of using I2S for digital input, I think I would like to use an ADC with I2S output so I can play analogue via my riaa preamp realtime.
Has anyone got any positive feedback either from digitising vinyl or similar to share. I have seen http://hifimediy.com/ADC-i2s, and a DIY option - Beis AD24QS using the same chipset.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: ADC Options to play vinyl through my DSP preamp

Post by Mike H »

If it's any help I'm using a HiFimeDIY DAC which I think is very good.

For RIAA pre-amp plus ADC I'm using an ART USB Phono Plus, but I mostly use it as the main analogue RIAA pre-amp, and to me anyway, it sounds as good as digital, only the record surface noises give it away that it's a vinyl record.

HTH

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#3 Re: ADC Options to play vinyl through my DSP preamp

Post by vinylnvalves »

Thanks for that. I will order the Hifime ADC, see if I can hear any difference over the standard ADC input on the Nadja DSP. If I can I may consider building the Beis ADC, hopefully there maybe one based on a 384khz capable chipset, I can find in a " kit" form instead.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: ADC Options to play vinyl through my DSP preamp

Post by Mike H »

Yes ultimately will be a case of trying things for yourself. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
DSJR
User

#5 Re: ADC Options to play vinyl through my DSP preamp

Post by DSJR »

I can't really help with personal experiences, but please take a look at some pro retailer websites too, such as Thomann, to see if they sell anything suitable at the right price..
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#6 Re: ADC Options to play vinyl through my DSP preamp

Post by vinylnvalves »

Got the hifime ADC today. Now I have a big challenge where the hell do I get a hdmi to USB type B cable from!!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#7 Re: ADC Options to play vinyl through my DSP preamp

Post by pre65 »

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#8 Re: ADC Options to play vinyl through my DSP preamp

Post by vinylnvalves »

That one on eBay's a USB A to USB B got loads of them already. This ADC has a hdmi socket as it's output, reckon I am going to have to bodge something, will start reading up on the protocols.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9 Re: ADC Options to play vinyl through my DSP preamp

Post by Mike H »

On their web page: "can be connected to a HDMI to USB device like our UH1 Digital"

Which seems to indicate this:

http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=pr ... uct_id=176

vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#10 Re: ADC Options to play vinyl through my DSP preamp

Post by vinylnvalves »

I am connecting it into my amanero i2s input card, which like their device has a USB B connector. After extensive browsing last night I cannot seem to find a lead or adaptor so I will be knocking something up. What I am suprised about is they don't sell this unconventional interface cable on their website, to interface between two products they sell.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11 Re: ADC Options to play vinyl through my DSP preamp

Post by Mike H »

Hmmm!

vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#12 Re: ADC Options to play vinyl through my DSP preamp

Post by vinylnvalves »

I am confused on how to connect the ADC to my Amanero converter. I have been given the following data for connecting to the ADC.
IMG_0142.JPG
. What's confusing me is that the USB input has only 4 connections ( 5 if you include the plug shield). I also know that a couple of those pins feeds +5v to power the USB device. So I don't understand how to get the 4 signals into the device. Help please.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13 Re: ADC Options to play vinyl through my DSP preamp

Post by Mike H »

I'm confused as well, been looking on net for half an hour, but don't know what I'm looking for

vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#14 Re: ADC Options to play vinyl through my DSP preamp

Post by vinylnvalves »

USB input is
IMG_0143.JPG
. But which of the hdmi pin call outs are data + and data - is the million dollar question.
Nick
Site Admin

#15 Re: ADC Options to play vinyl through my DSP preamp

Post by Nick »

That diagram makes me think they are not sending USB over HDMI at all (you could do this just using a single differential pair), but are sending the four i2s signals using the four differential pairs. At the receiver end you would need a quad differential to single converter, which is what the DS90LV048 is.

I think you have to wire a HDMI connector as shown to a DS90LV048, the the four outputs of the receiver give you i2s
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.