Dieselpunk Preamp of Doom and the Beast with Two Backs

What people are working on at the moment
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#61 Re: Dieselpunk Preamp of Doom and the Beast with Two Backs

Post by IslandPink »

Like the brass mesh - must put in memory bank for when I might need it !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#62 Re: Dieselpunk Preamp of Doom and the Beast with Two Backs

Post by Thermionic Idler »

http://brass-grilles-shop.co.uk/brass-m ... e-85-c.asp

Put here partly for my own reference as well so when I finally need it, I know where to come back to...
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#63 Re: Dieselpunk Preamp of Doom and the Beast with Two Backs

So it turns out I'm going to need to use Frontpanel / Schaeffer for the whole of the preamp chassis, due to the complexity and accuracy required for the machining.

Mercifully a bright spark in Norway came up with a Javascript to plug into the design software which generates out the correct cavities to enable easy bending of the panels to make a U box. So rather than Schaeffer's own enclosure system which requires 6 separate panels to be generated, this only requires 2. Which hopefully should save a fair bit of cash. I added a separate link for this in Stacks last week as it might prove to be a useful resource.

For this build, I'll actually need 4, as there is a separate front panel and piece of perspex to be manufactured. I've decided to do away with the wooden end pieces.

I'm now dimensioning out everything in CAD to be transferred into the Frontpanel software. If a hole ends up in the wrong place, it'll be my fault!
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#64 Re: Dieselpunk Preamp of Doom and the Beast with Two Backs

Post by simon »

I read your post in Stacks Dave but didn't really understand it, if I'd use Front panel before it might help I guess. How do you do the folding? Does the javascript routine somehow score the panel to facilitate this? Or do you still have to chassis bash somehow?
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#65 Re: Dieselpunk Preamp of Doom and the Beast with Two Backs

simon wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:05 pm I read your post in Stacks Dave but didn't really understand it, if I'd use Front panel before it might help I guess. How do you do the folding? Does the javascript routine somehow score the panel to facilitate this? Or do you still have to chassis bash somehow?
Basically what you end up with is a panel of 2.5mm thick aluminium, but it's made thinner to 0.5mm at the bending points - so a lot of the time you should be able to simply bend it on the bench, although it may be wise to use a Black and Decker workbench or similar to secure it first, I'm thinking.

You input the dimensions of the box you're after and it works out for you where the cavities for the bending points should be machined, along with all the housing brackets to hold it all together.

Best thing really is to watch the videos - I didn't understand it completely until i'd gone through a few of them. I recommend "U-Housings - Basic Box" and "Theory of Bending Panels" - those are the most informative, I think. Kasper's a lot better at explaining this stuff than I am.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#66 Re: Dieselpunk Preamp of Doom and the Beast with Two Backs

Post by simon »

Thanks Dave, I'd missed that link in your Stacks post. Makes much more sense now. Wonder how much some of those fancy enclosures work out at...
ed
retired

#67 Re: Dieselpunk Preamp of Doom and the Beast with Two Backs

Post by ed »

Thermionic Idler wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:02 am

Basically what you end up with is a panel of 2.5mm thick aluminium, but it's made thinner to 0.5mm at the bending points - so a lot of the time you should be able to simply bend it on the bench, although it may be wise to use a Black and Decker workbench or similar to secure it first, I'm thinking.
I'm not sure I'm fully understanding the issue but fwiw I used this method back in the day for F2 and F4. This is 2mm put through a large bending machine...it posed no problems at all.

follow the link and scroll down to the photo of the chassis panels..

http://www.vitalstates.org/diy/amplifie ... twatt%20F4
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

#68 Re: Dieselpunk Preamp of Doom and the Beast with Two Backs

Post by Nick »

ed wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:42 am
Thermionic Idler wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:02 am

I'm not sure I'm fully understanding the issue but fwiw I used this method back in the day for F2 and F4. This is 2mm put through a large bending machine...it posed no problems at all.

follow the link and scroll down to the photo of the chassis panels..

http://www.vitalstates.org/diy/amplifie ... twatt%20F4
I think the issue is your method needs a large bending machine. The idea as I understand is to get the FPD machining to cut into the sheet to leave a v shaped groove that can be folded by hand and ensure accuracy.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#69 Re: Dieselpunk Preamp of Doom and the Beast with Two Backs

Post by ed »

my bad

I didn't consider it an issue...thinking it would be no problem finding a man with a bending machine.....hereabouts there are many with an 8' bending press.....my particular chum uses the barter system, he hasn't made the move to bitcoin yet.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#70 Re: Dieselpunk Preamp of Doom and the Beast with Two Backs

Post by simon »

Probably my dark sense of humour by I did find the forum software's abbreviation of ed's link amusing - I've used that word a lot recently whilst reading here lol
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#71 Re: Dieselpunk Preamp of Doom and the Beast with Two Backs

Nick wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:10 am The idea as I understand is to get the FPD machining to cut into the sheet to leave a v shaped groove that can be folded by hand and ensure accuracy.
Yep, that's the idea, and for smaller boxes there's no problem just bending it along the groove on the bench. It is slightly tougher the longer the groove gets, mine will be just under 430cm and the back panel has quite a few holes drilled for XLR sockets, with the front having the two large holes for the meters, so to be on the safe side I'll probably clamp those bits between two bits of wood to keep them from distorting during the bending process. Kasper touches on this in the video where he puts together a U box for a rackmount chassis.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#72 Re: Dieselpunk Preamp of Doom and the Beast with Two Backs

Post by Mike H »

A bench or board, couple of G clamps and some steel angle if you've got it. Screw it down securely at both ends with the clamps then you got a chance of bending it in one operation. What can tend to happen is the panel slides when you do it if you're not careful.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#73 Re: Dieselpunk Preamp of Doom and the Beast with Two Backs

Just pulled the trigger on the panels from Schaeffer to make the preamp. Not cheap, gawd help me if I've got anything wrong!

Final final version:

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#74 Re: Dieselpunk Preamp of Doom and the Beast with Two Backs

Post by Mike H »

Good luck! :thumbleft:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#75 Re: Dieselpunk Preamp of Doom and the Beast with Two Backs

A big box arrived last night from Germany:

So far I've only unwrapped the front panel and verified the cutouts were correct for these components, but it's quite something seeing it for real when I've been staring at a virtual version for months: