My very first project: Amp Maker WF-55 valve guitar amp

What people are working on at the moment
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#16 Re: My very first project: Amp Maker WF-55 valve guitar amp

Post by Mike H »

Whoa-oh.....

(aka, 'shoddy' +1)

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Irene Idler
User

#17 Re: My very first project: Amp Maker WF-55 valve guitar amp

Post by Irene Idler »

The Stratmangler wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:06 am
Irene Idler wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:48 pmMight have been a good idea to leave enough money in the budget for this month to buy a guitar cable, but I was distracted by a shiny new reissue of Matthew Sweet's 'Girlfriend' from MOV...
Matthew Sweet?
Wasn't he in The Thorns, along with Shawn Mullins and Pete Droje? Their album is great.
Shawn Mullins album, Soul's Core is also available on MOV.

Nice job on the soldering :)
I have CDs by both Shawn Mullins and Pete Droge -- even saw Pete Droge live a couple of times (once opening for Tom Petty, solo acoustic). Of the three Droge is my favorite by far. Didn't know the three were in a band together, I MUST hear that!
"Hey, you know the rules, baby. If you wanna PLAY funky, you gotta SMELL funky." -- Mike Troutman
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#18 Re: My very first project: Amp Maker WF-55 valve guitar amp

Post by The Stratmangler »

The Thorns can be had from Amazon
I've linked through to the Special Edition - basically it's all the same songs with just acoustic arrangements.
Music Magpie are doing it used for less than the postage charge.
Chris :happy3:
Irene Idler
User

#19 Re: My very first project: Amp Maker WF-55 valve guitar amp

Post by Irene Idler »

The Stratmangler wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:25 pm The Thorns can be had from Amazon
I've linked through to the Special Edition - basically it's all the same songs with just acoustic arrangements.
Music Magpie are doing it used for less than the postage charge.
As it happens, Dave actually has the original album and swears he played it to me recently. I have no memory whatsoever of this, but he says it was while I was cooking, in which case my brain probably relegated it completely to the background, depending on what I was cooking[1]. It is also likely I was at least slightly drunk. So anyway now I'll need to hear it again. But I've gone ahead and ordered the special edition CD in the meantime, since I'm *always* thrilled to hear acoustic versions of almost anything.

[1] This is the kind of family I come from: my brother is not only the drummer for a band that just signed on to this summer's biggest US music festival tour (40 dates and it's going to be *serious* publicity as it's heavily young-male dominated audiences and there have already been multiple threatening tweets about the involvement of a feminist hardcore punk group), he also makes and sells 'artisanal' pickles (that's what the kids are calling them these days) in Baltimore. Each batch of pickles is labeled with the music he was listening to when he made it. Food and music, music and food. Even my cousin who's an airline pilot plays violin in his local symphony orchestra and routinely posts photos of amazing gourmet delights he's just whipped up.
"Hey, you know the rules, baby. If you wanna PLAY funky, you gotta SMELL funky." -- Mike Troutman
Irene Idler
User

#20 Re: My very first project: Amp Maker WF-55 valve guitar amp

Post by Irene Idler »

So I've been chatting with cressy about going with a two-piece cabinet like this one rather than my original idea:

But because the guitar has apparently been exposed to light and has yellowed a bit as a result, the original plan for silver sparkle Tolex has to be scratched. Given the flavor of the design, I'm thinking maybe *this* as the covering?

Not sure what to do about grille cloth; I've found some nice cane weave looks but they're all too close to the color of the Tolex, and I think there should be contrast. The front panel for the controls is an unfinished piece of mahogany (which should be finished, obviously), and I figured I could find legs to match. So should my grille cloth match the legs, e.g., dark brown, or should it be black, or maybe...

So much to think about. Next phase of amp build coming up later this week!